5 games in, I am already burned out as it's starting to look | Syracusefan.com

5 games in, I am already burned out as it's starting to look

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
like a bit of a train wreck. This week is HUGE. I am going to Ga Tech but What man, I just hope we don't start getting throttled by the ACC middle class because that is really we have left. I think we may match up OK versus Ga Tech. NC St who knows? It's starting to feel like 2011, injuries creeping in, team looks bad and some how the next week you hope it changes but it keeps getting worse if anything. This is the week to change that but man I am not confident by any means

Like I said, I really I like Shafer I just hope if this season goes in the tank, he can make the necessary adjustments in the off season to right the ship.

I really don't know at this point who we can or can't beat but like I said I am on the fence with pretty much giving up on Bullogh, clown shows are clown shows and the unicycle is already out. If I could thrown peanuts up to the box Saturday I would have.

like a bit of a train wreck. This week is HUGE. I am going to Ga Tech but What man, I just hope we don't start getting throttled by the ACC middle class because that is really we have left. I think we may match up OK versus Ga Tech. NC St who knows? It's starting to feel like 2011, injuries creeping in, team looks bad and some how the next week you hope it changes but it keeps getting worse if anything. This is the week to change that but man I am not confident by any means

Like I said, I really I like Shafer I just hope if this season goes in the tank, he can make the necessary adjustments in the off season to right the ship.

I really don't know at this point who we can or can't beat but like I said I am on the fence with pretty much giving up on Bullogh, clown shows are clown shows and the unicycle is already out. If I could thrown peanuts up to the box Saturday I would have.

Team looks bad because it's lost to better teams. That's it.

I see the down cycle has kicked in.

NCSt has more injury problems than SU and they are coming off a loss to WF. And I think that SU matches up well with GT. Unbalanced offense that Shafer can really key in on.

actually being really bad can make teams look bad against better teams too

we have no passing offense (100th vs FBS) and no passing defense (121st vs FBS)

we got people on the board happy about our run defense. why the hell would anyone even bother running the ball against us

I see the down cycle has kicked in.

NCSt has more injury problems than SU and they are coming off a loss to WF. And I think that SU matches up well with GT. Unbalanced offense that Shafer can really key in on.

i'm worried about GT having one of those games where they complete 10 passes for 200 yards over an aggressive secondary. GT does that a few times a year

As I recall, we felt much the same at this juncture last season, including a beat-down by a national power (USC/Clemson), and a loss against a decent foe that we could/should have beaten (NW/Penn State).
Carter-Finely is a difficult venue, but let's start our drive to bowl eligibility this week!

You're not worried that maybe NC State, Ga. Tech, Maryland, Pitt etc are all better too? I know I am. We've looked completely non-competitive in our 3 losses. Penn State was close but not due to us playing well. Our secondary might as well play with ankle weights and blinders on.

Honestly, I can see the frustration but here's the thing:

We lost to one of the best teams in the country, and also to one of the top 15 teams in the country (at their place). Those are two of our three losses. There's a lot of season left.

I'm not saying we're going to be world beaters, but it's tough to get TOO down when we've played, apart from Tulane and Wagner, a really, really difficult schedule and went with the wrong quarterback for two of those games.

actually being really bad can make teams look bad against better teams too

we have no passing offense (100th vs FBS) and no passing defense (121st vs FBS)

we got people on the board happy about our run defense. why the hell would anyone even bother running the ball against us

PSU, NW and Clemson averaged 42 rushing attempts, so I guess they bothered running after all.

have you seen penn state since week 2?

If they are better, we are in rough shape.

PSU, NW and Clemson averaged 42 rushing attempts, so I guess they bothered running after all.
they played us early before everyone knew how bad the pass defense is

after throwing for 300 in the first half and going up by 4 td, clemson did start running more. great point

i'm surprised you didn't mention that boyd only threw 27 times. sure, they scored every time they threw but they didn't throw that much!

couchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburncouchburn

they played us early before everyone knew how bad the pass defense is

after throwing for 300 in the first half and going up by 4 td, clemson did start running more. great point

i'm surprised you didn't mention that boyd only threw 27 times. sure, they scored every time they threw but they didn't throw that much!
actually in the 3rd
clemson went
drive 1 ) pass, run, pass,
drive 2 ) pass/int
drive 3) run, run, sack
drive 4) run pass

5 plays for zero or negative, 2 short rushs, 1 6 yd run and then the bomb.. one positive play the whole quarter and threw more than running.. put most any other rcvr out there the play never happens and we are looking at staying in the game..

actually in the 3rd
clemson went
drive 1 ) pass, run, pass,
drive 2 ) pass/int
drive 3) run, run, sack
drive 4) run pass

5 plays for zero or negative, 2 short rushs, 1 6 yd run and then the bomb.. one positive play the whole quarter and threw more than running.. put most any other rcvr out there the play never happens and we are looking at staying in the game..

Unfortunately, all of our games are four quarters long and we have to play against the players put on the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

I still think that Terrel Hunt will prove to be an effective QB and that our intensity - our ability to hit hard - will result in some solid wins in the ACC this season.

Hang in there!

IB I really respect your opinion. What is it about Shafer you like? Not going to argue with you about it. I'm just curious. There is nothing about the guy that I find hopeful or likeable.

This weekend is huge, so we shouldn't pull any plugs just yet. But lose this weekend, and our bowl game margin for error is extremely slim. We're effectively at 4 losses right now (including FSU).

The Lyn injury has deflated me a bit though. The pass defense was already struggling so much as it is. I don't know that our offense can keep up.

Not making a bowl game isn't the end of the world, but should we lose the next two, then the younger players need to be getting a good amount of the snaps for the 5 November games. Those will be our bowl practices.

Might be time for coaching staff to look for the next Tebucky Jones. Defensive backfield's biggest need is for a leader / play caller. I don't expect them to shut down AA wide receivers, but need to straighten out the confusion in the backfield.
If that person is not currently on the defense, raid the offense.

Bills in pre-season this year had the same type of confusion. No experienced safeties in the games and we made opposing qb's look like Peyton Manning. They signed Brian Leonard and although our DB's may still get beat, it's not because they are consistently out of position. SU backfield needs similar type of steadying influence and unfortunately, can't look to the waiver wire. Have to find that person on the team somewhere.

I'll admit, we don't have a solid WR corp and don't utilize our TE's. Hunt is still not a proven quantity. Our secondary is suspect and the play calling is predictable. But I'll still be rooting the Orange on. LGO!

Might be time for coaching staff to look for the next Tebucky Jones. Defensive backfield's biggest need is for a leader / play caller. I don't expect them to shut down AA wide receivers, but need to straighten out the confusion in the backfield.
If that person is not currently on the defense, raid the offense.

Bills in pre-season this year had the same type of confusion. No experienced safeties in the games and we made opposing qb's look like Peyton Manning. They signed Brian Leonard and although our DB's may still get beat, it's not because they are consistently out of position. SU backfield needs similar type of steadying influence and unfortunately, can't look to the waiver wire. Have to find that person on the team somewhere.
Agreed. We seem to be missing leader in defensive backfield. Wasn't devante a defensive back.

Last edited:
This weekend is huge, so we shouldn't pull any plugs just yet. But lose this weekend, and our bowl game margin for error is extremely slim. We're effectively at 4 losses right now (including FSU).

The Lyn injury has deflated me a bit though. The pass defense was already struggling so much as it is. I don't know that our offense can keep up.

Not making a bowl game isn't the end of the world, but should we lose the next two, then the younger players need to be getting a good amount of the snaps for the 5 November games. Those will be our bowl practices.

Yeah, hard not to feel a little uneasy about ow things are going. But really the season is in front of us, beginning this week. We'll know a lot more about what we have after the next couple of weeks. This is why people getting super fired up all the hard-nosed bs and everything in the preseason is frustrating.

Agreed. We seem to be missing leader in defensive backfield. Wasn't devante a defensive back.
Yes he did as did PTG who would be my preference to take a shot at it. With JS in front of him and the young studs behind him this might be our best option. Assuming any RB's are an option. We are loaded at RB with our best athletes - get more of them on the field versus platooning at an already strong position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom