A couple of Upset Specials... | Syracusefan.com

A couple of Upset Specials...

Jake

Mod
I actually am having a hard time finding lower seeds over higher seeds. I think its going to be a chalk kind of year...but there are a couple that I think are screaming at me.

My favorite upset pick is St. Bonaventure over FSU. FSU is notorious for following up great performances by stinkers and by playing down to the level of the competition. FSU is flying high, and will probably look right past Bonaventure. The Bonnies will have the best offensive player on the court (Nicholson) and they run fantastic half court sets. Love, love, love the Bonnies..and the fact that this is ONLY a 6 point spread makes me think that alot of people do as well.

I also like Virginia over Florida. Virginia defends the hell out of the ball, and they apply great perimeter pressure. I don't think Florida is going to get many good looks from 3, but I don't think it'll stop them from chucking them anyway. I think this is an horrific matchup for Florida and I think Virginia knocks them out. I have serious doubts about florida's guards to be content tossing the ball into Patric Young.

The other team I like would be USF if they knock off Cal. Again, a team that defends very well and will keep the score down and close. Temple hasn't played anyone at all this year who plays this way...I think I would like USF in this matchup. Plus they get a game under their belt to get the jitters our of their system.

The final game that I would like is a potential matchup of West Virginia against OSU in Pittsburgh. Ohio St. got absolutely screwed if this matchup happens. Complete screw job by the committee. Sullinger vs Kilicli, that will be a freaking war if the officials let them bang. Horrible matchup for OSU in that regard because I don't think Sully will get many easy baskets out of his post up game.

The only other thing that I noticed is that Georgetown is only -3.5 over a 14 seed. WOW. Has to be the smallest spread of 3 vs 14 seeds ever right?

Yeah, I like the Bonnies also and Ohio to beat Michigan. The Hoya line opened at 6.5 and has been bet down but it should be alarming to a casual Hoya.

I'm pretty excited for a Saturday double dip of Cuse vs K-State and WVU vs OSU. I'm hoping we have the nitecap and would have to think that all the Cuse fans will be rooting for WVU. Hopefully all the WVU fans will stick around and root for Cuse as well. That being said, I'm not sure yet that WVU is going to beat Gonzaga. The Zags are favored by a point.

Hey Jake, whats your thoughts on Asheville tomorrow and likely KSU on Sat?

Hey Jake, whats your thoughts on Asheville tomorrow and likely KSU on Sat?
If we don't settle for threes we'll be fine. My concern is a passive offensive set and jump shots. Get to the hole against these guys and finish because no one is going to be guarding the tin. And transition defense.

Not convinced it'll be KSU on Saturday, but if it is, it'll all come down to beign decent on the defensive glass. We can turn them over.

I can't really cry for Ohio State though. Columbus is about 180, all interstate miles from Pittsburgh, you can do that in 2.5 hours easily, 3 tops. And they are supposedly the greatest traveling fanbase on earth (when they want to be). If they don't have at least half the arena, that's on them. They wouldn't get the underdog crowd on their side no matter who they play.

Having said that, go Gonzaga because I hate WVU.

We can turn them over.

unless the defense sags to protect Rak/Baye, in which case the zone weapon turns into just another zone

have to stay aggressive on the perimeter unless and until an opponent shows that they can take advantage of the interior

I'm pretty excited for a Saturday double dip of Cuse vs K-State and WVU vs OSU. I'm hoping we have the nitecap and would have to think that all the Cuse fans will be rooting for WVU. Hopefully all the WVU fans will stick around and root for Cuse as well. That being said, I'm not sure yet that WVU is going to beat Gonzaga. The Zags are favored by a point.
WVU fans will probably be cheering for their new B12 brethren.

If we don't settle for threes we'll be fine. My concern is a passive offensive set and jump shots. Get to the hole against these guys and finish because no one is going to be guarding the tin. And transition defense.

Not convinced it'll be KSU on Saturday, but if it is, it'll all come down to beign decent on the defensive glass. We can turn them over.

Bombing away from three tomorrow is my main concern as well, I have to think though JB will call a quick TO if he sees that and demand we start goign inside. Its to bad we dont have an RJ or AO type for tomorrow they would eat that team alive. Hoping Fair and JS crash the glass big time.

Agree on WVU. If it's one team that OSU will not be able to bully inside it's WVU. Huggie will muck this game up in the paint and frustrate OSU. If WVU can get any perimeter scoring from its guards at all they can pull a huge upset. A home court atmosphere (of WVU and SU fans) will help WVU too. Of course WVU can screw this up by not getting past the Zags first. But not a great Zags team. I also like Davidson vs. Ville. Davidson does not turn it over, they are tough inside and on the glass. The Ville's pressure will not bother them and Ville can't score without forcing TO's.

How crazy on a scale of 1-10 am I for having Wichita State in the Final 4??

I'm going with Virginia over Florida as well.

Like Jake, I'm having a bit of a problem finding upsets this year. This of course means that we're going to see an 8, 9, 5, 12 Final Four. I don't think I've come close to winning a bracket since 2003.

I've got St. Louis, so I think you're relatively sane

Very nice. I have them going out in the first round. I also have Virginia over Florida and over Missouri as well. Of course, when a team is much better on one side of the ball, I heavily favor the team that plays good defense. Late game situations, when you need a stop, Virginia can get it. Missouri cannot.

I've got UNLV beating them in the Elite Eight, so you're a notch less crazy than I am.

I actually am having a hard time finding lower seeds over higher seeds. I think its going to be a chalk kind of year...but there are a couple that I think are screaming at me.

My favorite upset pick is St. Bonaventure over FSU. FSU is notorious for following up great performances by stinkers and by playing down to the level of the competition. FSU is flying high, and will probably look right past Bonaventure. The Bonnies will have the best offensive player on the court (Nicholson) and they run fantastic half court sets. Love, love, love the Bonnies..and the fact that this is ONLY a 6 point spread makes me think that alot of people do as well.

I also like Virginia over Florida. Virginia defends the hell out of the ball, and they apply great perimeter pressure. I don't think Florida is going to get many good looks from 3, but I don't think it'll stop them from chucking them anyway. I think this is an horrific matchup for Florida and I think Virginia knocks them out. I have serious doubts about florida's guards to be content tossing the ball into Patric Young.

The other team I like would be USF if they knock off Cal. Again, a team that defends very well and will keep the score down and close. Temple hasn't played anyone at all this year who plays this way...I think I would like USF in this matchup. Plus they get a game under their belt to get the jitters our of their system.

The final game that I would like is a potential matchup of West Virginia against OSU in Pittsburgh. Ohio St. got absolutely screwed if this matchup happens. Complete screw job by the committee. Sullinger vs Kilicli, that will be a freaking war if the officials let them bang. Horrible matchup for OSU in that regard because I don't think Sully will get many easy baskets out of his post up game.

The only other thing that I noticed is that Georgetown is only -3.5 over a 14 seed. WOW. Has to be the smallest spread of 3 vs 14 seeds ever right?
Agree with all of them...although I think Ohio State still has more weapons than WVU.
Also like Harvard to beat Vandy outright in Amaker's return to prime time.
This a very good Harvard team.

Agreed. USf is gonna do damage in this tourney. They defend and play very efficiently on the offensive end. USf +3 was the easiest money tonight. PAC 12 blows.

speaking of which, SU jersey behind the USF bench

I'm glad we have a Thursday afternoon game. I like to win early and watch the other teams try to catch up to us rahter than watching other teams move on while I wonder if we can do the same. (Note: I'm not assuming anything but I think we will win tomorrow.)

I don't think it's crazy if you're in a large pool where you need to separate from others somehow. I had them in my initial 'rough draft' bracket before I chickened out. If I wanted to pick against Kentucky that's where I'd go in that region. Duke/Baylor/Indiana? Yuck.

I think WVU is going to get whacked, even in Pittsburgh. I don't think they can score enough and if Truck is off then they will get routed. They have two guys. Sacre will neutralize Kilicli in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom