A Letter to Darius Bazley | Syracusefan.com

A Letter to Darius Bazley

DirtDog44

Walk On
A letter to Darius Bazley.

Darius,

From Cuse Nation we all wish you the best (well, at least most of us). We currently feel like a spouse that was promised a dream wedding and their significant other never showed up at the alter but overall we wish you success.

A few things though...

#1: Timing: You can't, at the last minute, do this to a program that has dedicated itself to you over the past 3-4 years. I'm sure that if you add up all of the time our coaches spent calling you, time spent driving, flying and watching your games, etc.it would blow all of our minds. You, bottom line, wasted a lot of our time and by investing all this effort and we probably now missed out on other players that could have helped further our program. Due to this it is not longer just a Darius Bazley issue...it hurts the success of future seasons. #2: You show no sense of character and neither do those around you. You have now decommitted from 2 schools which shows that you have significant character flaws. If I'm an NBA scout I'd have to at least take that into consideration when thinking of drafting you. #3: The argument of you doing this to be a "trailblazer" completely falls flat. It's completely obvious to everyone that Darius is for Darius and using your skills to earn a paycheck. I think all of us are fine with that but don't lie to our face. This trailblazer argument is as valid as Kyrie Irving explaining why he thinks the world is flat...it's ridiculous. Man up and tell the truth. #4: Lastly, I actually feel somewhat badly for you because i know this whole decision probably came to a head because of an agent manipulating a young kid with a lot of talent. You think you are mature and very smart...but you are 17. You think you were not manipulated and that this assertion is false but I'm betting that at some point in your life you will probably find this to be the truth. Only a few times in life are we presented with decisions that will lead us down very different life paths and in my opinion you made a very big mistake. Syracuse basketball aside...I think this was a life mistake.

Well Darius, I wish I could have seen you put up 20 & 10 at Duke and torch the Tar Heals by dropping 30 but that is no longer an option.

As a fan of Syracuse I wish you the best and if your talents are as good as we think they are then I suppose this decision won't ever be thought of again. But if you don't happen to make the NBA or if you are part of the 90% that only hang on for less than 3 years then this moment in time may haunt you.

Take care, I wish I could have seen you at the Dome in front of 35,000 and earning a year towards a degree but instead we'll have to be content watching you play in front of 300 people in the middle of no where.
You do have guts making this decision because you are now all in on our talent..I hope it works out for you.

All the best!

We'll be keeping an eye out for you in the new Pony sneaker commercials. Unless skip on my TiVo passes you by.

Darius,

From Cuse Nation we all wish you the best (well, at least most of us). We currently feel like a spouse that was promised a dream wedding and their significant other never showed up at the alter but overall we wish you success.

A few things though...

#1: Timing: You can't, at the last minute, do this to a program that has dedicated itself to you over the past 3-4 years. I'm sure that if you add up all of the time our coaches spent calling you, time spent driving, flying and watching your games, etc.it would blow all of our minds. You, bottom line, wasted a lot of our time and by investing all this effort and we probably now missed out on other players that could have helped further our program. Due to this it is not longer just a Darius Bazley issue...it hurts the success of future seasons. #2: You show no sense of character and neither do those around you. You have now decommitted from 2 schools which shows that you have significant character flaws. If I'm an NBA scout I'd have to at least take that into consideration when thinking of drafting you. #3: The argument of you doing this to be a "trailblazer" completely falls flat. It's completely obvious to everyone that Darius is for Darius and using your skills to earn a paycheck. I think all of us are fine with that but don't lie to our face. This trailblazer argument is as valid as Kyrie Irving explaining why he thinks the world is flat...it's ridiculous. Man up and tell the truth. #4: Lastly, I actually feel somewhat badly for you because i know this whole decision probably came to a head because of an agent manipulating a young kid with a lot of talent. You think you are mature and very smart...but you are 17. You think you were not manipulated and that this assertion is false but I'm betting that at some point in your life you will probably find this to be the truth. Only a few times in life are we presented with decisions that will lead us down very different life paths and in my opinion you made a very big mistake. Syracuse basketball aside...I think this was a life mistake.

Well Darius, I wish I could have seen you put up 20 & 10 at Duke and torch the Tar Heals by dropping 30 but that is no longer an option.

As a fan of Syracuse I wish you the best and if your talents are as good as we think they are then I suppose this decision won't ever be thought of again. But if you don't happen to make the NBA or if you are part of the 90% that only hang on for less than 3 years then this moment in time may haunt you.

Take care, I wish I could have seen you at the Dome in front of 35,000 and earning a year towards a degree but instead we'll have to be content watching you play in front of 300 people in the middle of no where.
You do have guts making this decision because you are now all in on our talent..I hope it works out for you.

All the best!
Hate to sound like a broken record but to me the point that gets missed is that there is a kid out there who may have had an opportunity to play at Syracuse but either due to the lack of a commitable offer or the perception that there would be no playing time at his position is now relegated to a lesser choice. Bazley may or may not be fine (frankly I don't care), Syracuse hoops will be fine, but this kid missed out on a great opportunity because of this fiasco.

It's true he shows some character issues by making the move without (apparently) so much as a heads up to the people to whom he promised his allegiance.
He has some growing up to do...although that self-centeredness is not the kind of trait that's likely to change.

But the message probably could be a lot shorter.
Maybe something like:

Dear Darius:

Who are you again?

Sincerely,

Orange fans

my only regret is i actually watched a replay of the McD's game on my computer the night of the game..by the time i woke up, dude was no longer an orange commit. I just want that time back

my only regret is i actually watched a replay of the McD's game on my computer the night of the game..by the time i woke up, dude was no longer an orange commit. I just want that time back

I only watched a few minutes because I can't stand the style of play in those games. But now I even want those few minutes back.

Darius,

A few things though...

All the best!
Grow up.
This has ZERO impact on you.
It's infintile to attack the character of an 18 year old you have never met.
I have never seen you post that JB should not accept transfers from other schools, and certainly not when Darius left OSU for SU. But if the kid leaves SU, he is of low character?
The timing stinks, but only for SU. So what. It works for the kid and his family.
Did you write a similar letter to Hopkins. After all, he broke a much longer standing agreement with SU.

Last edited:
Grow up.
This has ZERO impact on you.
It's infintile to attach the character of an 18 year old you have never met.
I have never seen you post that JB should not accept transfers from other schools, and certainly not when Darius left OSU for SU. But if the kid leaves SU, he is of low character?
The timing stinks, but only for SU. So what. It works for the kid and his family.
Did you write a similar letter to Hopkins. After all, he broke a much longer standing agreement with SU.
Get over it. He shares the same emotion every fan here that bleeds orange has without getting personal. It’s not going to ruin our lives but of course if your passionate about this program and follow what goes with it year round it impacts you initially. You fall under the category of “less passionate.” Good for you. Your blood pressure is probably better than ours but I wouldn’t trade the way I’ve experienced this program over the years for yours.

Answers from Darius Bazley...

Dear Cuse Nation,
#1 You can't, at the last minute, do this to a program that has dedicated itself to you over the past 3-4 years.
Sure I can. It's my life.
#2 You show no sense of character...
Character? I'm 17 dude, and my "character" will be developing for a long time to come.
#3 The argument of you doing this to be a "trailblazer" completely falls flat.
It's MY argument, and I'm sticking to it. And who are you to question it?
#4 Lastly, I actually feel somewhat badly for you...
Thanks for thinking about me. But, seriously, get a life.

Mods, please delete this.

We're better than this.
giphy.gif

Get over it. He shares the same emotion every fan here that bleeds orange has without getting personal. It’s not going to ruin our lives but of course if your passionate about this program and follow what goes with it year round it impacts you initially. You fall under the category of “less passionate.” Good for you. Your blood pressure is probably better than ours but I wouldn’t trade the way I’ve experienced this program over the years for yours.
The OP's post was personal. He questioned the kid's character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom