A little help please, I have a bad knee | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A little help please, I have a bad knee

the x-ray showed a gap and my Orthro drained my knee (there was a lot of fluid) and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot didn't work. Not for nothing, but he gave me the shot in the knee and it really seems that the pain is on the other side of the knee. Anyway, on Friday, I had a gel injection. he said that it might take two weeks until we know if it worked. Well, yesterday, my knee felt great. But today, it is worse yet, Anyone evr have the gel shot before? And I think if surgery is next (I sure hope not) I may ask for a different dr. Thoughts?
I was treated at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. My orthopedist is the team doctor for the Brooklyn Nets. Have osteoarthritis from earlier ACL knee surgeries. Was given the gel injection (monovisc) and it worked great. Took about 7 days to begin to work. By day 9 my pain was gone and it lasted for about 10 months. Then another injection. Definitely worked for me.

Dasher, you need an MRI. Plain film imaging not nearly sensitive enough to make an accurate diagnosis if you have not responded to non-operative modalities. Steroid injections and synvisc injections are temporizing interventions, not curative. If you did not respond well to your first injection I would not continue to pursue that approach.

I concur entirely with HOFCeluck. Frankly, bone on bone = TKR. You'd be shocked at how rapid the recovery is, and most pts remain pain / complication free post procedure. You'll be glad you got through it, and likely regret it if you delay. There are any number of very capable orthos to choose from in most areas - no need to travel. Best of luck with your path forward!

the x-ray showed a gap and my Orthro drained my knee (there was a lot of fluid) and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot didn't work. Not for nothing, but he gave me the shot in the knee and it really seems that the pain is on the other side of the knee. Anyway, on Friday, I had a gel injection. he said that it might take two weeks until we know if it worked. Well, yesterday, my knee felt great. But today, it is worse yet, Anyone evr have the gel shot before? And I think if surgery is next (I sure hope not) I may ask for a different dr. Thoughts?
Well I didn't have fluid but I did have knee arthritis that saw me getting cortisone shots every 3 and a half months like clockwork for several years. No longer. An OTC B3 variant called nicotinamide riboside sold as Tru Niagen, did the trick. Starting it was the only change that could have/did result in now well over 3 years with zero pain. Zero. Highly likely it's due to its alleged anti inflammatory properties. It is an NAD precursor. I could go on.

Well I didn't have fluid but I did have knee arthritis that saw me getting cortisone shots every 3 and a half months like clockwork for several years. No longer. An OTC B3 variant called nicotinamide riboside sold as Tru Niagen, did the trick. Starting it was the only change that could have/did result in now well over 3 years with zero pain. Zero. Highly likely it's due to its alleged anti inflammatory properties. It is an NAD precursor. I could go on.
where did you get that?

I was treated at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. My orthopedist is the team doctor for the Brooklyn Nets. Have osteoarthritis from earlier ACL knee surgeries. Was given the gel injection (monovisc) and it worked great. Took about 7 days to begin to work. By day 9 my pain was gone and it lasted for about 10 months. Then another injection. Definitely worked for me.
your lips...did your knee hurt more the day after the injection? You can lie to me and say yes. I won't mind.

Mine is bone on bone.
If you are bone on bone, set up the replacement. You are just kidding yourself if you think anything else is going to work.
As RF said, bite the bullet and go for it. It's not going to get better.

Knee surgeries today at a top clinic are same day with robotic help.. A good PT program afterward and you'll be doing most things you want in 3 months.

Best of all, the pain is history.

Hospital for Special Surgery is the best.

I'd been told elsewhere that I had a torn Posterior Cruciate Ligament.
I didn't think they were right.
Went to a great knee doctor at HSS who did an exam and viewed the MRI.
He told me it was really a severe strain and with rehab and proper exercise it would be back to normal in a few months.
And that's exactly what happened.
I'm going back next week for another problem.

All the treatments at this point are person-specific. Your end game here is knee replacement unless you want to keep fighting pain. There are longer lasting CS injections, hyaluronic acid treatments, PRP, etc. but osteoarthritis is what it is. You can prolong but can’t outrun the TKR.

Mine is bone on bone.
Bone on bone - do yourself a favor and get a full knee replacement; sooner rather than later (it seems like it is already later). The technology is really good. I had mine done 5 years ago and it has been a beautiful thing - after you get past all the pain of flexation and extension.

I had cortisone shots regularly and then a gel shot. End result -- knee replacement.

I had cortisone shots regularly and then a gel shot. End result -- knee replacement.
The thing that bothers me is that my knee hurt before the gel shot. Since the gel shot yesterday, I am in agony. Why would it get worse? Will it get better after it got worse? I am really confused.

I've had 2 total knee replacements in the last 7 months. It takes a lot of work at PT, but it is well worth it,

Yeah, as others have already said, if your knee is bad enough, the various infections are delaying the inevitable. If they are effective and you're still relatively young, that's not a bad thing. The knee replacement implants do eventually wear out. If you get the knee replacement when you're young, maybe younger than 60, you may eventually need another or it may wear out when you're too old or not healthy enough to do it again.

I've had 2 total knee replacements in the last 7 months. It takes a lot of work at PT, but it is well worth it,
did you have the gel injections before that step? And if you did, what was your knees reaction to the gel?

Yeah, as others have already said, if your knee is bad enough, the various infections are delaying the inevitable. If they are effective and you're still relatively young, that's not a bad thing. The knee replacement implants do eventually wear out. If you get the knee replacement when you're young, maybe younger than 60, you may eventually need another or it may wear out when you're too old or not healthy enough to do it again.
I'm 65. the things is, I had no problem, until all of a sudden one day, it was bad. There was no leading up to this. LOL To sort of get my used to the idea that there was a problem.

I'm 65. the things is, I had no problem, until all of a sudden one day, it was bad. There was no leading up to this. LOL To sort of get my used to the idea that there was a problem.
Try drinking nothing but celery juice and Herbalife cleansers.

The thing that bothers me is that my knee hurt before the gel shot. Since the gel shot yesterday, I am in agony. Why would it get worse? Will it get better after it got worse? I am really confused.
You had a big needle stuck through your joint capsule (a pretty tough tissue) and had a foreign substance injected into the joint. Joints don't like that. Hopefully it feels better in a few days. I've seen it go both ways. As you've seen from some of the responses on here, some people have good results and experience relief for a while while others feel no different. If it does help, take advantage of the pn relief and use the opportunity to get some physical therapy. Strategic strengthening of the muscles around the joint and along the kinetic chain and stretching tight muscles can provide some relief with arthritis.

It may work, be patient because it takes time.

Get a second opinion if you have any doubts at all.

did you have the gel injections before that step? And if you did, what was your knees reaction to the gel?
yes I had a series of 3 injections ,1 a week for 3 weeks ,It did work for awhile on one knee. I am 57 years old

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom