A lot of work to do | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

A lot of work to do

I agree. I was too but being disappointed and them deserving to win is two different things.
We can agree to disagree, don’t want to have a whole thread of us just going back and forth. But I believe when the mistakes are self inflicted and can be avoided with better execution and having situational awareness, it rides a fine line between deserving to win and escaping with a close win.

We can agree to disagree, don’t want to have a whole thread of us just going back and forth. But I believe when the mistakes are self inflicted and can be avoided with better execution and having situational awareness, it rides a fine line between deserving to win and escaping with a close win.
Who argued that they didn’t escape? We all know that. Deserving to win and actually winning is two different things. That’s not debatable. Lol it’s fine id you want to chalk it up as a loss but moral losses don’t show up on the record books.

Who argued that they didn’t escape? We all know that. Deserving to win and actually winning is two different things. That’s not debatable. Lol it’s fine id you want to chalk it up as a loss but moral losses don’t show up on the record books.
Then where is your line on playing poorly and escaping, compared to playing poorly and winning when you don’t deserve to? Because like you already know I think this game is an example of the latter. You had Garrett missing wide open receivers, you had him moving backwards in the pocket instead of stepping up resulting in sacks, you had him stepping out of bounds rather than throwing the ball away, obviously we’ve been over the 4 turnovers, all preventable things.. I think we got lucky that Tony Elliott didn’t run the ball as much as they did, they gashed us for 150 yards on the ground, we showed no ability to stop it especially after Terry Lockett went down. I think we got lucky against a poorly coached team, and while we were able to pull out the win, we didn’t deserve to. The only reason it became a game is because we let it become one. Just because Virginia isn’t a good team and we’re better than them and we don’t need to play our best to be able to pull out the win, doesn’t mean we automatically deserve it. You have to earn it, and in my opinion we didn’t do that on Friday night.

I would certainly settle for 7-5 / 9-3 type seasons with a 5-7 bummer every now and then on a consistent basis. Would be fun to watch and we would pull some good upsets along the way.
Our 25th ranking in the recent coaches poll shows that coaches know we are on the cusp.

Then where is your line on playing poorly and escaping, compared to playing poorly and winning when you don’t deserve to? Because like you already know I think this game is an example of the latter. You had Garrett missing wide open receivers, you had him moving backwards in the pocket instead of stepping up resulting in sacks, you had him stepping out of bounds rather than throwing the ball away, obviously we’ve been over the 4 turnovers, all preventable things.. I think we got lucky that Tony Elliott didn’t run the ball as much as they did, they gashed us for 150 yards on the ground, we showed no ability to stop it especially after Terry Lockett went down. I think we got lucky against a poorly coached team, and while we were able to pull out the win, we didn’t deserve to. The only reason it became a game is because we let it become one. Just because Virginia isn’t a good team and we’re better than them and we don’t need to play our best to be able to pull out the win, doesn’t mean we automatically deserve it. You have to earn it, and in my opinion we didn’t do that on Friday night.
They didn’t play their best game but isn’t that obvious? Why do I have to say that in every post. Lol. They are 25th in the coaches poll and I’m sitting here telling you we are not that good. That should tell you all you need to know about my critique of this team.

Give UVA credit for making plays too. They don’t suppose to just let Cuse get what they want. Teams find different ways to win or lose games. Cuse is not immune to that. All these games won’t be won or lost the way you envisioned.

So Again, the point of my response is playing poorly and finding a way to win and saying you don’t deserve to win are two different things. I will never tell players that worked their ass off all year that they don’t deserve to win because other players turned the ball over. That’s a weird thing to say. I’ve coached for 23 years. I will never tell my kids they didn’t deserved a come back win after making mistakes and getting their ass kicked earlier in the game. The game of football forces you to over come adversity as a team.

They didn’t play their best game but isn’t that obvious? Why do I have to say that in every post. Lol. They are 25th in the coaches poll and I’m sitting here telling you we are not that good. That should tell you all you need to know about my critique of this team.

Give UVA credit for making plays too. They don’t suppose to just let Cuse get what they want. Teams find different ways to win or lose games. Cuse is not immune to that. All these games won’t be won or lost the way you envisioned.

So Again, the point of my response is playing poorly and finding a way to win and saying you don’t deserve to win are two different things. I will never tell players that worked their ass off all year that they don’t deserve to win because other players turned the ball over. That’s a weird thing to say. I’ve coached for 23 years. I will never tell my kids they didn’t deserved a come back win after making mistakes and getting their ass kicked earlier in the game. The game of football forces you to over come adversity as a team.
So you just disagree with the sentiment of my statement, and that’s fine. I’ve had multiple coaches through my years tell us when we didn’t play well enough and when we didn’t deserve to win. The adversity we faced was all self inflicted, it wasn’t like Virginia played so well we were just stiffled, we did it to ourselves, if Virginia was just outplaying us I’d completely agree with you, but that’s not what happened.

if you are still in position to win despite the turnovers then you deserve to win. Should we negate the last drive of the game because we turned the ball over earlier in the game? UVA failed to stop us when it counted most. They had a chance to win.
Exactly, they got the ball with 70+ seconds to kick a field goal and didn't Because we had 4 terrific defensive possessions.

Last week we got the ball with 51 seconds to score/gain 50 yards, and did Because our offense outplayed their defense.

Winner winner chicken dinner. The score encapsules the whole 60 minutes

Of course, and being an avid bettor, I wish more games went as planned lol. My main point being I believe we could’ve avoided needing that final drive to win the game, as you said football is situational, and I thought in most situations on Friday night we were very disappointing and could’ve/should’ve executed a lot better, most of our mistakes were self inflicted.
Giving your opponent gift TD's with bad fumbles by 2 of your better players is a problem that better be fixed this week.

So you just disagree with the sentiment of my statement, and that’s fine. I’ve had multiple coaches through my years tell us when we didn’t play well enough and when we didn’t deserve to win. The adversity we faced was all self inflicted, it wasn’t like Virginia played so well we were just stiffled, we did it to ourselves, if Virginia was just outplaying us I’d completely agree with you, but that’s not what happened.
Self inflicted? Peña getting blasted on kick off was self inflicted? UVA had great coverage on the Shrader’s throw. He forced that one on him. Every team works on chase punch strip in their takeaway circuits. Tucker didn’t just hand the ball to UVA . It came from the efforts of UVA’s defender doing what he is coached to do when he is behind the runner.

Why are our turnovers self inflicted but UVA’s aren’t? Was Armstrong’s fumble self inflicted? GW left his zone, under cutted a route and made a Int. Was that self inflicted by Armstrong? UVA missed FG self inflicted? When we stopped them in the redzone it was great defense. When UVA stopped us it was self inflicted by us?

Last edited:
Exactly, they got the ball with 70+ seconds to kick a field goal and didn't Because we had 4 terrific defensive possessions.

Last week we got the ball with 51 seconds to score/gain 50 yards, and did Because our offense outplayed their defense.

Winner winner chicken dinner. The score encapsules the whole 60 minutes
But no, we dont deserve to win because the game didnt go exactly how I wanted. lol

But no, we dont deserve to win because the game didnt go exactly how I wanted. lol
There are pieces here for a very good team, take care of the ball, need a couple of receivers to step up and be consistent every game.
Alford, and Cooper, plus Jackson needs to show up every game.
If that happens where Shrader has 4 dependable receivers plus Tucker the offense will explode, running and passing.

Self inflicted? Peña getting blasted on kick off was self inflicted? UVA had great coverage on the Shrader’s throw. He forced that one on him. Every team works on chase punch strip in their takeaway circuits. Tucker didn’t just hand the ball to UVA . It came from the efforts of UVA’s defender doing what he is coached to do when he is behind the runner.

Why are our turnovers self inflicted but UVA’s aren’t? Was Armstrong’s fumble self inflicted? GW left his zone, under cutted a route and made a Int. Was that self inflicted by Armstrong? UVA missed FG self inflicted? When we stopped them in the redzone it was great defense. When UVA stopped us it was self inflicted by us?
GS not going through progressions and missing wide open streaking players is self inflicted. Pena had no business returning that kick, no matter how talented of a return man he is, there was absolutely no lane, he ran directly into the blockers that got pushed back into him. Self inflicted.. You act like me saying we didn’t deserve to win means that Virginia played flawlessly and did no wrong, and just couldn’t finish. We played down to our competition and made mistakes on mistakes on mistakes to allow them back in the football game.

No game goes as planned, there’s no perfect football script, that doesn’t mean everytime you win you deserved it. I used to think you had a clue, but now I think you’re just a soft football coach who gets props on this board because you understand X’s and O’s more so than the casual viewer.

I think what Haze is trying to say is that the team has not executed at a level that he feels the team should have and there are deficiencies that need to be addressed, as wins are less likely if execution is poor. I think most of us can see that, and most teams have deficiencies that needs to be worked on. However, I don't agree with the "don't deserve" sentiment. If wins were based on which teams people felt, or 'looked' as deserving of the win, instead of the points on the board when time expires, then the sport would not be so fun to follow. But I don't think this is what Haze is saying, just that we have deficiencies that will not allow us to consistently win these types of games. I take his words of "not deserving" to point this out and coaches I'm sure use this phrase as a motivational tool to work on executing better.

In the end, winning teams take advantage of any and all opportunities and the only thing that matters are the points on the board when time expires, nothing else. We are only 4 games in and there is time to improve on execution and the team needs to if we are to remain on a trajectory of overachieving what was hoped for with this team preseason.

If I'm completely off-base here, Haze, feel free to point it out, slam me, etc.

Think we need to pivot away from the blocking TE/HB, after the Rhino injury. Use this week, and the Bye week, to install more use of pass catching TE plays. Get Gadsden, and Villari to get the majority of the snaps, and take advantage of that mismatch. We also have 3 good slot receivers, in Coop, Jackson, and Pena, so use them.

I think what Haze is trying to say is that the team has not executed at a level that he feels the team should have and there are deficiencies that need to be addressed, as wins are less likely if execution is poor. I think most of us can see that, and most teams have deficiencies that needs to be worked on. However, I don't agree with the "don't deserve" sentiment. If wins were based on which teams people felt, or 'looked' as deserving of the win, instead of the points on the board when time expires, then the sport would not be so fun to follow. But I don't think this is what Haze is saying, just that we have deficiencies that will not allow us to consistently win these types of games. I take his words of "not deserving" to point this out and coaches I'm sure use this phrase as a motivational tool to work on executing better.

In the end, winning teams take advantage of any and all opportunities and the only thing that matters are the points on the board when time expires, nothing else. We are only 4 games in and there is time to improve on execution and the team needs to if we are to remain on a trajectory of overachieving what was hoped for with this team preseason.

If I'm completely off-base here, Haze, feel free to point it out, slam me, etc.
That’s exactly what I’m saying, and again, the execution part of it was all self inflicted, not going through reads, moving backwards in the pocket, stepping out of bounds rather than throwing it away. We played down to our competition and made mistakes repetitively all night long. If you or anybody else disagrees with me saying we didn’t deserve to win the game that’s perfectly fine with me, it’s an opinion, and an opinion that’s on a fine line.

Yes I disagree. You can say we could have lost but not deserve to lose. Thats something entirely different. You are using Louisville as the standard when UVA and Purdue games respresents more of what we have shown. Both games were tight wins. If we can play more like we did against Louisville than my expectations will rise.

Yes I disagree. You can say we could have lost but not deserve to lose. Thats something entirely different. You are using Louisville as the standard when UVA and Purdue games respresents more of what we have shown. Both games were tight wins. If we can play more like we did against Louisville than my expectations will rise.
And that’s fine, my opinion isn’t the be all end all, it’s just my opinion. And I wouldn’t say I’m using the Ville game as the standard, because I don’t think we’re as good as we were led to believe from that performance. I think the offense will improve as the season goes on like it always does when you have players still learning a completely new offensive system, there’s going to be ups and downs from an offensive standpoint undoubtedly. It just looked from my perspective that what we were struggling with Friday night wasn’t just an offensive slump due to the new system or anything Virginia was doing specifically, but rather us shooting ourselves in the foot which is why I said what I said.

And that’s fine, my opinion isn’t the be all end all, it’s just my opinion. And I wouldn’t say I’m using the Ville game as the standard, because I don’t think we’re as good as we were led to believe from that performance. I think the offense will improve as the season goes on like it always does when you have players still learning a completely new offensive system, there’s going to be ups and downs from an offensive standpoint undoubtedly. It just looked from my perspective that what we were struggling with Friday night wasn’t just an offensive slump due to the new system or anything Virginia was doing specifically, but rather us shooting ourselves in the foot which is why I said what I said.
Good points

Think we need to pivot away from the blocking TE/HB, after the Rhino injury. Use this week, and the Bye week, to install more use of pass catching TE plays. Get Gadsden, and Villari to get the majority of the snaps, and take advantage of that mismatch. We also have 3 good slot receivers, in Coop, Jackson, and Pena, so use them.
I think this is an interesting idea.

The only game I can remember that I would say we didn't deserve to win was the 2011 game vs Toledo where the refs clearly blew our missed extra point to send the game into overtime where we won. The replay, which was played repeated on national TV, showed it was unmistakably wide left.

Otherwise, turnovers are something good teams overcome. It takes teamwork, guts and will - all of which this team has in large measure. Very proud of this team regardless of what happens thecrest of the way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom