A Rutgers Fan's Perspective | Syracusefan.com

A Rutgers Fan's Perspective

NewYorker

Walk On
I am a long time Rutgers football fan, and have seen the RU and Syracuse programs have their ups and downs over the years. I wish that the two schools could play each other more frequently - I think that actually would be good for both fan bases, as well as regional interest in Northeast football. I couldn't make the trip up to Syracuse this year, but I have been there before, and enjoyed chatting with mostly older alumni.

I understand your fan's frustration with yesterday's game. It was a tough defensive battle, and neither offense seemed like they could take control of the game. Here are my independent observations about why Rutgers won. They are mostly congruent with what your fanbase has said, with just a few more insights:

1. Our punter is an all-American, and he was our greatest weapon yesterday, and perhaps most responsible for the win. He consistently was able to put Syracuse in very difficult field position. Someone once said that if you can land a punt inside the 5 yard line, it's like a turnover, speaking of which...

2. Schiano has always placed a huge emphasis on forcing opponent turnovers and minimizing them for our team, as well as special teams play. That was another huge contribution to our victory yesterday. The blocked punt, fumble recovery, interception, etc. all contributed to the win.

3. There were some very questionable coaching decisions that contributed to your loss. I don't think that Babers is a bad coach, and he has recruited many talented players, but he did not call a good game yesterday. You know what I'm talking about - not going for it on the 4th down, switching the punter which resulted in the very short punt, getting the penalty for running onto the field and barking at the refs (yes, I know Schiano gets emotional as well, but he knows enough to stay on the sideline and not say anything that could result in a penalty). Babers should not have put himself in a position to get a penalty, but he did.

Despite all of these coaching miscues, the one that was the most mind-blowing to me was to pull your backup QB. I thought that he would have a better chance of moving the ball, and Rutgers ALWAYS has trouble with backup quarterbacks. It's a joke among our fan base. When Shrader came into the game, I thought we would lose for sure. I was actually happy when DeVito came back in the game.

4. I was very impressed with three things - your defense, your special teams on punt returns, and the crowd noise.
  • We had a very difficult time running the ball, and I credit both your team's defensive schemes and performance. Our O-line is one of our weakest areas, but our running backs are pretty talented and usually make some plays. You also kept pressure on Vedral and sacked him a few times, so while he completed a high percentage of his passes, only one of them really was a deep completion. Schiano praised your defense during this press conference after the game.
  • We have the best kick return tandem in the Big Ten, and one of the best in the country, and you prevented our team from having any big returns.
  • The crowd noise also contributed to a few of our miscues. Even though the dome was not full, it was very loud. I could barely hear our radio announcers talking during some parts of the game. Hats off to your fans for that.
5. Besides our inability to move the ball, I was frustrated by our two penalties that resulted from hitting your players after they ran out of bounds. Those boneheaded plays almost cost us the game. We are usually a very disciplined football team, and those types of penalties will drive Schiano absolutely nuts.

Finally, I know that the loss was bitter, and some posters have suggested giving up on the team, not attending games, etc. I know that I felt the same way during our previous regime. Even though I'm a die hard fan, I actually left a game at halftime after watching us getting destroyed by Ohio State in two quarters. My perspective is that you don't have a bad team, and you will win some more and at least be competitive in others. Athletics success runs in cycles for most teams (look at Florida State and Miami this year). Things could be worse - you could be UConn fans!

Hang in there, and I'm glad that we had an injury free game. Good luck the rest of the season.

The dome was very loud with really no crowd.. cant imagine what 40K will sound like.

Shiano was on the field 4-5 times screaming at the refs they didnt seem to care.. he got dragged off the field a couple time but other coaches.

Yes, the dome is a definite home field advantage. It reminds me of our RAC in basketball. The noise can definitely throw a game, and the crowd knows that, which makes the get even louder. Much respect to your fans who were loud until the the very end. As you said, when you get a full house, it will be absolutely crazy.

Everything you said was spot on except for the penalty on Babers. There was definitely things to criticize Babers for but that penalty was not one of them. I saw two referees COWERING to Schiano as he screamed in their faces. At the exact same time I watched a 100 times more docile Babers get flagged by some douche in stripes for a phantom reason. That is 100% on the ref unless he can tell us his reason. I appreciate everything else you pointed out though. Very accurate.

Everything you said was spot on except for the penalty on Babers. There was definitely things to criticize Babers for but that penalty was not one of them. I saw two referees COWERING to Schiano as he screamed in their faces. At the exact same time I watched a 100 times more docile Babers get flagged by some douche in stripes for a phantom reason. That is 100% on the ref unless he can tell us his reason. I appreciate everything else you pointed out though. Very accurate.

ehhhh Dino has to be smarter than that. The guy ran almost all the way into the middle of the field. That’s what got him the penalty. Not what he said

In a critical game spot like that you have to be smarter than that.

Last edited:
Schiano literally has a guy who has to pull him off the field and away from refs but Dino was the problem. Come on

Yeah, that’s the difference tho. Schiano has a guy that does that and keeps him off the field.

That’s literally the only difference in it.

That was another huge contribution to our victory yesterday. The blocked punt, fumble recovery, interception, etc. all contributed to the win.

Do you mean this fumble?

1631544287881.png

Might be time to go to a neon colored ball.
Very hard to distinguish where the ball is.
Pretty clear in the original on Twitter. Resolution didn’t copy well. Maybe it’s time to go to preponderance if evidence rather than irrefutable truth as a standard to overturn too.

yep with the refs its like with the hoops adage that the NCAA was so pissed at duke for their programs offenses that they gave syracuse an extra year of probation!

I am a long time Rutgers football fan, and have seen the RU and Syracuse programs have their ups and downs over the years. I wish that the two schools could play each other more frequently - I think that actually would be good for both fan bases, as well as regional interest in Northeast football. I couldn't make the trip up to Syracuse this year, but I have been there before, and enjoyed chatting with mostly older alumni.

I understand your fan's frustration with yesterday's game. It was a tough defensive battle, and neither offense seemed like they could take control of the game. Here are my independent observations about why Rutgers won. They are mostly congruent with what your fanbase has said, with just a few more insights:

1. Our punter is an all-American, and he was our greatest weapon yesterday, and perhaps most responsible for the win. He consistently was able to put Syracuse in very difficult field position. Someone once said that if you can land a punt inside the 5 yard line, it's like a turnover, speaking of which...

2. Schiano has always placed a huge emphasis on forcing opponent turnovers and minimizing them for our team, as well as special teams play. That was another huge contribution to our victory yesterday. The blocked punt, fumble recovery, interception, etc. all contributed to the win.

3. There were some very questionable coaching decisions that contributed to your loss. I don't think that Babers is a bad coach, and he has recruited many talented players, but he did not call a good game yesterday. You know what I'm talking about - not going for it on the 4th down, switching the punter which resulted in the very short punt, getting the penalty for running onto the field and barking at the refs (yes, I know Schiano gets emotional as well, but he knows enough to stay on the sideline and not say anything that could result in a penalty). Babers should not have put himself in a position to get a penalty, but he did.

Despite all of these coaching miscues, the one that was the most mind-blowing to me was to pull your backup QB. I thought that he would have a better chance of moving the ball, and Rutgers ALWAYS has trouble with backup quarterbacks. It's a joke among our fan base. When Shrader came into the game, I thought we would lose for sure. I was actually happy when DeVito came back in the game.

4. I was very impressed with three things - your defense, your special teams on punt returns, and the crowd noise.
  • We had a very difficult time running the ball, and I credit both your team's defensive schemes and performance. Our O-line is one of our weakest areas, but our running backs are pretty talented and usually make some plays. You also kept pressure on Vedral and sacked him a few times, so while he completed a high percentage of his passes, only one of them really was a deep completion. Schiano praised your defense during this press conference after the game.
  • We have the best kick return tandem in the Big Ten, and one of the best in the country, and you prevented our team from having any big returns.
  • The crowd noise also contributed to a few of our miscues. Even though the dome was not full, it was very loud. I could barely hear our radio announcers talking during some parts of the game. Hats off to your fans for that.
5. Besides our inability to move the ball, I was frustrated by our two penalties that resulted from hitting your players after they ran out of bounds. Those boneheaded plays almost cost us the game. We are usually a very disciplined football team, and those types of penalties will drive Schiano absolutely nuts.

Finally, I know that the loss was bitter, and some posters have suggested giving up on the team, not attending games, etc. I know that I felt the same way during our previous regime. Even though I'm a die hard fan, I actually left a game at halftime after watching us getting destroyed by Ohio State in two quarters. My perspective is that you don't have a bad team, and you will win some more and at least be competitive in others. Athletics success runs in cycles for most teams (look at Florida State and Miami this year). Things could be worse - you could be UConn fans!

Hang in there, and I'm glad that we had an injury free game. Good luck the rest of the season.
thanks for taking the time for those mostly spot on thoughts. And yeah many of our opponents are going to have the same take re our two headed monster qb situation, your take is spot on.

Pretty clear in the original on Twitter. Resolution didn’t copy well. Maybe it’s time to go to preponderance if evidence rather than irrefutable truth as a standard to overturn too.
Does anybody know if the replay crew was Big Ten too?

This is UNBELIEVEABLE. Also WHY could I not see this replay on our huge scoreboard??????? WHAT A JOKE! Something has to be done, right? Is there a process of filing complaints? I get it doesnt mean shi* now, but at least tell us they were wrong!
Exactly. And I know first hand ANYONE that chimes in that there is a policy not to show controversial replays, THEY ARE LYING. It’s a falsehood that’s thrown out a lot.

Those of us who paid for tickets and trudged up to the dome got no replay, but the fat SOB sipping natty lights in his boxers on his salsa stained couch gets a replay? Makes sense

ehhhh Dino has to be smarter than that. The guy ran almost all the way into the middle of the field. That’s what got him the penalty. Not what he said

In a critical game spot like that you have to be smarter than that.
Yes, I believe that is why they called the penalty. You can't go past the 25 yard hashmark, and apparently, it was going to be a point of emphasis this year. You hate to see a penalty called for that, but Babers should have been able to yell at the refs without running onto the field. That was a critical mistake.

Schiano does know how to work the refs. I've even seen him question refs about the rules, and he's had plays overturned because he knew more than the men in stripes. The guy can get very emotional, but manages not to cross the line. As some posters said, the refs can sometimes be intimidated by him, or at least that appears to be the case.

The silver lining for Syracuse is that I don't think that the game is going to affect recruiting. Sure, Rutgers won, but it was not a decisive win like we had over Temple. Schiano can walk into a recruit's living room who is looking at Temple and talk about how Rutgers has clearly surpassed them. That's not the case with Syracuse. I think that both programs are pretty close talent wise. Both teams have strong defenses, less than potent offenses, but I would give Rutgers the edge when it comes to special teams. As I said in my original post, I think that was the difference in the game.

This is UNBELIEVEABLE. Also WHY could I not see this replay on our huge scoreboard??????? WHAT A JOKE! Something has to be done, right? Is there a process of filing complaints? I get it doesnt mean shi* now, but at least tell us they were wrong!
If that set you off, did you see the video the Channel 3 news showed at 6:25?

Exactly. And I know first hand ANYONE that chimes in that there is a policy not to show controversial replays, THEY ARE LYING. It’s a falsehood that’s thrown out a lot.

Those of us who paid for tickets and trudged up to the dome got no replay, but the fat SOB sipping natty lights in his boxers on his salsa stained couch gets a replay? Makes sense

i feel attacked

Not sure about the replay rule. They show replays on the Rutgers vide board all of the time. Is it an ACC thing or a Syracuse rule, or just a rumor?

Not sure about the replay rule. They show replays on the Rutgers vide board all of the time. Is it an ACC thing or a Syracuse rule, or just a rumor?
There is no rule. Syracuse is just a mess with this stuff sometimes. God forbid we boo the refs for 15 seconds.

I was sitting about 15 rows up behind the RU bench. I was screaming at Schiano the whole time he was on the field yelling at the officials and I continied for pretty much the rest of the game. He was ridiculous but his tactic must have worked. Just don't know how he got away with it. Must be his Big10 ref buddies?? Usually my voice recovers from a game by Sunday night. As of Tuesday AM it is still a little rough. Heck even my wife was screaming at him. I have a friend who played football with Schiano at Bucknell and he doesn't understand why I don't like the guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom