ACC Hate Continues | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Hate Continues

Let's not get too full of ourselves here, laddie bucks. How would BE fans have reacted if one of the ACC teams joined and was ripping it up the same way in its first year? If you want respect, be the first to show it. And just because we've been fortunate, it doesn't mean we're entitled to have that happen ad infinitum. Remember we're only at the top of the wave ... today ...

LGO!!
Eh, it's what fandome is all about. Enjoy it while you got, and take your lumps when they come. My response to "How would BE fans..." is that it would never have happened. ;)

How about we not judge an entire region of the country by a few whacked out callers selected to talk by a whacked out host on a whacked out radio show that very few people really listen to?
I was just kidding.

How about we not judge an entire region of the country by a few whacked out callers selected to talk by a whacked out host on a whacked out radio show that very few people really listen to?

Seriously, the word hypocrisy comes to mind in threads like these. Worse yet, joking about the bloodiest war in American history and the barbaric tactics displayed by some elements of the union army isnt any cooler than making derogatory jokes about the slaves some folks think the war was actually about. Like the saying goes, war isn't about who's right, it's about who's left.

Edit: this isnt necessarily aimed at any of the posts in this thread, but there have already been threads similar to it before and I just wanted to reiterate a much shorter version of a previous post I made.

Now let's not get all serious. It's sports. And by the way a lot of people down there still think the civil war is going, and that's what makes things like this so easy to poke fun at. Your suppose to enjoy riding the wave, not bail out on it before it breaks.

Seriously, the word hypocrisy comes to mind in threads like these. Worse yet, joking about the bloodiest war in American history and the barbaric tactics displayed by some elements of the union army isnt any cooler than making derogatory jokes about the slaves some folks think the war was actually about. Like the saying goes, war isn't about who's right, it's about who's left.
wow -
if you cant joke about it 150 years later when can you? besides they started itcouchburn

Edit: this isnt necessarily aimed at any of the posts in this thread, but there have already been threads similar to it before and I just wanted to reiterate a much shorter version of a previous post I made.
Feels like its aimed at someone...

Feels like its aimed at someone...
Blues%2BBrothers%2B-%2Barrest.JPG

What are you saying, edowd?

The ACC fans are very loyal to their schools. I live in southwest Virginia. Half the fans support UVA, the other half are VT Jokies. There is no love here for the NC schools but that pales in comparison for their dislike for the schools of the northern aggression! I wear my Orange every chance I get just to piss them off. They used to laugh but they aren't laughin any more!

I hate feeling ashamed of my fellow 'cuse fans but that is exactly what happens when I hear the jokes about the civil war and other gross generalizations about the south.

Now kickin' butt on the court, I can always support that. LGO.

are the british fair game? or is the revolution off limits also?

what about the boar wars?

or shaka zooloo wars ?

Dude, it's "Boer" war. Boer is the Dut
The ACC fans are very loyal to their schools. I live in southwest Virginia. Half the fans support UVA, the other half are VT Jokies. There is no love here for the NC schools but that pales in comparison for their dislike for the schools of the northern aggression! I wear my Orange every chance I get just to piss them off. They used to laugh but they aren't laughin any more!

You sound just like my li'l brother down in Bedford. :)

ohhh so now i cant even make fun of the boare wars -

at least you left open the opportunity to pick on the british

how about- our general was drunk and we still whooped you rebs?

It's a little less objectionable. But why do it at all. Why go out of your way to offend people.

About ten years ago, I took a tour of the Gettysburg battlefields with a guy who was a near expert.

Based on this experience, I started to read books on the war. (More American books have been written about the Civil War than any other topic.) When I finished reading a number of books, I had only one overriding emotion; sadness.

Death, disease,suffering, fear, deprivation, piles of amputated limbs outside of surgical tents, waves of grapeshot tearing through rows of soldiers, etc.

It was a huge American tragedy. Princeton's James McPherson suggested that it was unnecessary as the economic conditions that brought it on were going to resolve themselves anyway. He also said that soldiers on either side would have never agreed that the war had anything to do with ending slavery.

The North won because of what Lincoln called "The Arithmetic" far greater resources and many more people. The South depended upon quality of the soldiers and the brilliance of their generals and almost pulled it off.

The drunk you are talking about replaced a series of Generals who refused to fight Lee because they believed they would get their asses kicked.

Southerners, in my experience are generally much more aware of Civil War history. Most of it was fought in the South and the area has endured the after effects for many decades. Northerners usually have Cliff Notes-level knowledge (e.g. Sherman marched through Georgia. )

You are a creative guy. There's got to be something else in your arsenal of wit beside Civil War "jokes".

I hate feeling ashamed of my fellow 'cuse fans but that is exactly what happens when I hear the jokes about the civil war and other gross generalizations about the south.

Now kickin' butt on the court, I can always support that. LGO.
Its all in good fun. If southerners didnt feel the need to preface everything said about us with the term "Yankee", we wouldnt feel the need to remind them who won the war.

It's along the lines of this old Arabic saying - "It's me against my brother; me and my brother against our cousin; me, my brother, and our cousin against a stranger."

Its all in good fun. If southerners didnt feel the need to preface everything said about us with the term "Yankee", we wouldnt feel the need to remind them who won the war.
And calling it the war of northern aggression. Fort Sumpter was the first engagement of the civil war. It was held by the union and attacked by the confederacy.

it happened 150 stinkin years ago- let it go
i watch everything i can on the civil war - it was a disgusting part of our history- but it cant be changed-it was what it was-

this pc world is discusting-
you cant pick on them because it was a civil war and we want to keep things civil-

you cant pick on them for having no teeth -its off limits to rag on them for marrying sisters and cousins -ect ect

once louisville gets on board it will be close to 50/50 on old big east teams and current ACC teams...i LOVE it
Actually the "old" ACC teams outside of NC (FSU, GT, Miami, Clemson) are made to feel like outsiders too. It's a tobacco road NC thing. They're just tolerated a little better because they've been there longer. GT fans dislike that after 30 years in the conference the NC fan bases still don't consider them to be real ACC. The extreme regionalism is just amazing. If it weren't for Swofford's vision to expand and own the entire eastern seaboard, 1/3 of the original ACC would probably now be in the B1G, 1/3 would be in the SEC, and 1/3 would be out in the cold with no seat at the table. Why can't these folks get that?

wow -
if you cant joke about it 150 years later when can you? besides they started itcouchburn

Who started what? Here's some basic reading on the subject. It's the text I read in a course on the civil war, taught btw, by a professor who studied under Allan Nevins at Columbia. There was SO much more going on than just who fired the first shot in anger.

"Long considered the standard text in the field, The Civil War and Reconstruction— - originally written by James G. Randall and revised by David Donald - —is now available in a thoroughly revised new edition prepared by David Donald, Jean H. Baker, and Michael F. Holt. Maintaining the accuracy and comprehensiveness that distinguished the original, the revised edition incorporates the best new scholarship in the field. Expanded and updated coverage of social and cultural history includes detailed discussions of southern society, slavery and the African-American experience, the experiences of women, and issues of class. The postwar chapters have been reconceived to treat Reconstruction as a national, rather than a regional, problem, exploring the connections between developments in the South and parallel changes in the North."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1569244.The_Civil_War_and_Reconstruction

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom