ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member

SMU is most likely to be the best team (or Duke) from either conference. They are going to be very very good.

My point isn't that the AAC will be close to the ACC (it won't) just that the top of the league is much better than the top of the A-10, BE, etc. conferences.

If an AAC school goes undefeated could they get into the playoff? Maybe. Big maybe.
SMU may be a top 25 team next year with Mudiay, but they aren't going to be as good as your claiming. They lose 2 rotation guys, and add 1 5 star recruit. I don't see them as being a NC contender, but I understand your optimism.

Who will get more top 4 seeds next year in the NCAA Tournament AAC or ACC? I would say its probably going to be the ACC and when I was listing the top 5 teams I was talking about brands. AAC will at best be the A-10, Big East, MWC good at the top, but no middle class, and bunch of anchors at the bottom.

Before the ACC did this, it would be better off Adding Connecticut as a full member and BYU football only as a partial for the term of the Notre Dame Football scheduling agreement. That way there would be 16 football teams. BYU has a large audience, and it could help with getting the ACC Network distribution west.

That would be a classic Big East move and would blow up in the ACC's face in my opinion. Going hybrid is a mess, and it would only be wise to do it to bring Notre Dame in as a full member. BYU is also so far outside the geographic footprint that it would make no sense. I don't think expanding west is a realistic goal, but if it were, it would be from Big 12 schools. If you count Cinci as expanding west, I guess that's possible at some point.

That would be a classic Big East move and would blow up in the ACC's face in my opinion. Going hybrid is a mess, and it would only be wise to do it to bring Notre Dame in as a full member. BYU is also so far outside the geographic footprint that it would make no sense. I don't think expanding west is a realistic goal, but if it were, it would be from Big 12 schools. If you count Cinci as expanding west, I guess that's possible at some point.

BCU just hired a guy who was 56-73 at TCU.

Have they stopped even wanting to look like they are trying?

BCU just hired a guy who was 56-73 at TCU.

Have they stopped even wanting to look like they are trying?

First of all, what the hell does that have to do with my post that you quoted? Second, he was 49-21 at Ohio, so what's your point?

I don' think so.

Our best chance is win some FB and BB games.

Eventually, CR is going to start over. I think something like TX to the Pac10 or B1G will start the next round.

Most likely not for at least another dozen years.

Grant of Rights drove a stake through the heart of realignment.

Most likely not for at least another dozen years.

Grant of Rights drove a stake through the heart of realignment.

Well, here's to hoping Texas A&M wins a NC or two from the SEC.

The GOR won't last long when little brother is making big brother look stupid.

At some point, I expect the GOR to be tested. We'll see what the result is...

His coaching high point is making the quarter finals of the 2014 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (not making this up - he has never won a NIT or NCAA game).

I had to do a google search for that one:

32 participants who belong to "mid-major" conferences and are not invited to the 2014 NCAA Tournament, the 2014 National Invitation Tournament (NIT), or the 2014 College Basketball Invitational (CBI) make up the field.

Actually his high point would be taking Kent State to the NCAAs twice in a 3-year span by winning two conference titles. He was 137-57 at Kent State and 49-21 at Ohio. In between he struggled at TCU, which isn't exactly a great job with a track record of coaches having success. I don't think it's a great hire, but your take that they are giving up on being competitive is absolutely absurd.

At any rate, what's your point? A lot of top choices might not take that job. Is your point that UConn has a better basketball program than BC? No kidding! Nobody is arguing that.

They're a better athletic program for the ACC and even if they weren't, they aren't so bad they'd be kicked out so UConn could get in. They aren't Temple circa 2004. And this is coming from a rival who would rather have UConn in the conference than BC just for our own sake to play a classic rivalry every year. Then again, in football season a matchup with BC does way more for me than a matchup with UConn, which just doesn't move the needle.

At any rate, what's your point?

I'm sure he is a very nice man and his mother loves him.

However, it shows me that BCU isn't willing to crack open the checkbook and attempt to compete ACC basketball.

They will be happy to be a middle of the pack team - they'll fire anyone who embarrasses them, but they aren't aspiring to knock UofL or UVA or SU or Duke or UNC down a rung

sdhusky said:
Well, here's to hoping Texas A&M wins a NC or two from the SEC. The GOR won't last long when little brother is making big brother look stupid. At some point, I expect the GOR to be tested. We'll see what the result is...

That makes no sense.

I'm sure he is a very nice man and his mother loves him.

However, it shows me that BCU isn't willing to crack open the checkbook and attempt to compete ACC basketball.

They will be happy to be a middle of the pack team - they'll fire anyone who embarrasses them, but they aren't aspiring to knock UofL or UVA or SU or Duke or UNC down a rung

Who were they supposed to try to hire this time around that would consider the job? Nobody expects them to be on the level of Cuse, Duke, UNC or Louisville anyway. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to win. Again, what's your point?

You need to get it through your head that conference re-alignment has very little to do with basketball, like it or not.

Who were they supposed to try to hire this time around that would consider the job? Nobody expects them to be on the level of Cuse, Duke, UNC or Louisville anyway. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to win. Again, what's your point?

You need to get it through your head that conference re-alignment has very little to do with basketball, like it or not.

I'm not saying this has anything to do with CR.

My point is that BCU is not trying to compete. They are trying to save money.

Did they try to put $2.5 million in front of Shaka Smart? Did they spend anywhere near the $2 million plus Auburn did?

Or did they get a guy almost as cheaply as possible?

I'm not saying this has anything to do with CR.

My point is that BCU is not trying to compete. They are trying to save money.

Did they try to put $2.5 million in front of Shaka Smart? Did they spend anywhere near the $2 million plus Auburn did?

Or did they get a guy almost as cheaply as possible?

Shaka Smart would have turned them down anyway. Part of that has to do with what the program is generating, too. They aren't making the same revenue of some of the top schools and may not feel they can afford a top coach. So they aren't spending top dollar, fine. That doesn't equate to not trying to compete, there is a business side to it too. They aren't spending the max and they aren't 100% committed to winning at all costs, that's fair to say.

But it doesn't really matter... Even if they are actively trying to spend as little as possible, they don't care if they win or lose, and they're a joke. What difference does it make to you?

, they don't care if they win or lose, and they're a joke. What difference does it make to you?

Just making the point that winning on the court is not the same as winning "CR"

Since BCU "won" CR, UCONN has been to 4 FF and won 2 NC's (and counting?).

I like that more than "winning" CR.

Way to cut the "even if" out of that quote to take it completely out of context. Nicely done.

Also, up until the Big East dissolved, I'd say that UConn was in the better basketball conference. So if you want to go on just this year, fine, whatever. The bottom line is this:

UConn basketball is in a worse spot now and moving forward than it was in the Big East, and it's in a worse spot than it would be in the ACC or B1G. UConn basketball will likely overcome it to SOME extent. UConn basketball will continue to be better than BC basketball, but will struggle to stay on the level of elite programs unless it gets into a power conference due to scheduling, financial and recruiting disadvantages. UConn is in a better position than a Gonzaga, but not significantly - it's now a mid-major until it gets into a better conference. Mid majors can have a lot of success in college hoops, and that may well be the case. Of course, 90% of college basketball fans won't notice UConn between mid-December and mid-March.

UConn football, on the other hand, is not on the same level as BC, never has been and likely never will be, unless it gets into a power conference and then builds the program up.

If all you care about is winning in basketball, then yes, the future is brighter than BC's, and congratulations on that.

UConn is in a better position than a Gonzaga, but not significantly - it's now a mid-major until it gets into a better conference.

Seriously? wow. Just wow.

I would much rather win in CR. If you happen to win a national championship, that makes you a winner in CR and national championships. You are a winner in both areas. But if you are in a midmajor conference, the best that you can do is be a winner in one area. Then you also have to deal with being called a midmajor. You dont have that stigma attached to you when you win in CR.

Seriously? wow. Just wow.

You're the king of selective quoting. I don't know why I waste my time.

You're in the Final Four and in the national spotlight and you're here arguing over this? Enjoy the spotlight while you have it, because after the tournament it'll be gone until next March, save for whatever good non-conference games you schedule. Nobody's going to be paying much attention to AAC games, no matter how many times you're on ESPN.

Because we don't have any great rivals in the ACC.

And I'm not sure giving it time will matter.
I'd rather have you as a rival than Louisville... I can remember the days of long ago when UVa & Cuse played annual basketball challenges some thirty years ago... I also remember playing Cuse in football in the late 90's and early 2000's in a couple bowl games ... I think there is a good rapport between the fans and the schools are both very committed to academic excellence as well...

I'm not trying to go off topic, but why so high on Diaco? We know first hand that the P and D show was long past its prime, but there were some rumors about Diaco with us when Marrone left and I couldn't have been less enthusiastic. He's saying all the right things and brings your program out of the 90s, but recruiting to ND isn't the same as recruiting at a Syracuse or UConn.

I know he was with Kelly at Cincinnati, but those teams were known for offense and even they sit in the middle of a recruiting hot bed and OSU can't take everyone.

After GRob we would have taken Pol Pot and liked it, so I get how you're excited but just don't see it. I'd also be worried if Scott Shafer hired a guy who was fired at a prior job for embezzling thousands of dollars and then had the temerity to fight the firing.

I like our staff. But we can all admit that Kyle Flood is going to dig Rutgers into a nice deep hole when he wins 3 games next year.
HCPP

That's the meanest anyone has ever been to me on this board.

I could take a million over a single HCPP.
Actually, if you look at the post I replied to - it is a reference to Head Coach Pol Pot.

I think Pol Pot might have been better.

He would have executed any fans arriving from tailgating late or leaving before the final whistle...yes, in that sense better than PP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom