ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 132 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If the ACC blows up because of the money-hungry surrounding the sport of college football cannot see the value of what they have, I’ll stop following CFB in a heartbeat. They’re sucking the tradition, joy and soul out of everything.

It appears that way. I am hoping that they are just trying to force the ACC to get off it's ass and make a move. The ACC needs to be smarter than both the B1G and SEC. Both those conferences are working from a position of power, but there are moves to be made that can get us on equal footing. It will take aggressive and creative thinking, but it can happen. It takes strong leadership, I hope we have the right guy in that position right now.
He hasn't proven to have any idea of what he is doing.
A good Commissioner would have at least made an attempt at adding new schools in some form.

Why does everyone think by adding teams it would add more money. Don’t you think they would have done it? Reason why the ACC hasn’t expanded is because the teams available don’t bring added value. It’s pretty simple. Outside of ND which will never join the ACC, the teams from the Big 12 or the Pac12 add nothing to the bottom line
I won’t get too far into it but I agree with you. The ACC has looked at teams like West Virginia and it was a net negative at the time. Adding teams does nothing unless the teams are top brands.

THERE ARE NO SCHOOLS TO ADD. It’s insane this idea is baffling to so many people.
I agree with the possible exception of the west coast schools, meaning Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington. They could possibly add dollar value to a TV deal. They are strong in non-revenue sports. And, of course, they would absolutely add to the academic standing of the ACC. Now, logistically, well, the west coast adds a whole level of complexity. Plus, if the B10 wants those schools, that’s where they’re going, not the ACC. The ACC is kind of landlocked, which is your point.

Wrong way to think. You can expand for stability if it preserves the same TV payout per team. Washington and Oregon are worth more than $30M. Arizona State and Stanford are worth at least $30M. Cal is worth less but the average of those 5 is above. It won’t put more money in SU’s pocket but it makes the conference stronger.
Yes it would. And I think the reason the BT is halfway saying that it is exploring other Pac teams now is to keep that from happening.

I agree with the possible exception of the west coast schools, meaning Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington. They could possibly add dollar value to a TV deal. They are strong in non-revenue sports. And, of course, they would absolutely add to the academic standing of the ACC. Now, logistically, well, the west coast adds a whole level of complexity. Plus, if the B10 wants those schools, that’s where they’re going, not the ACC. The ACC is kind of landlocked, which is your point.
Utah does not compete with any NFL team and already has a passionate and growing fan base. And Arizona State is AAU and has a larger football fans base than Cal and Stanford and Utah. Add a 6 Pac to the ACC. Figure out ways (humor ala SEC Shorts would be best) to advertise all the East Coast vs. West games.

THERE ARE NO SCHOOLS TO ADD. It’s insane this idea is baffling to so many people.
What's wrong with Army and Navy?

Big audiences on TV, national brands, within the regional footprint.

If the ACC blows up because of the money-hungry surrounding the sport of college football cannot see the value of what they have, I’ll stop following CFB in a heartbeat. They’re sucking the tradition, joy and soul out of everything.
i'm this close right now. won't take much more for me.

My 1st thought was that service academies just can't recruit the quality of scholar athletes at a P5 level, because of the unique commitment requirement. But, that may not be an insurmountable hurdle.

Agree. What makes it even worse is that Stanford's Directors Cup wins are largely driven by its women's teams. They build up huge point total leads and have to hope the men's teams don't blow it. It's akin to a long-distance relay race in which the 3rd runner hands over a 15-second lead to the anchor runner, who only wins by 5 seconds.
I actually think it’s kind of fascinating that Stanford isn’t more strongly considered by the B1G. Their academic, research, and endowment profile is top notch and they have an all-around excellent athletic program. They’re in the San Fran market. Heck, at minimum they could be a west coast version of Rutgers (with a much better academic reputation) that expands the alumni base for other B1G schools to a major metropolitan area while also won’t disrupt the football gods or food chain. The more I think about it, I think private universities largely can’t compete with public universities for football (USC & ND maybe being the only exceptions).

i think this has legs more than we think

sounds like FSU thinks they have an argument to say they were defrauded with the GOR, and will also use a loan to bridge the financial gap between the timing of revenue to make it financially feasible to leave (i.e. they are going to argue down the GOR and then a loan will bridge the gap between the upfront revenue and when the new revenues in their new conference come in over the years)

there is a rumor that FSU has in writing saying that to get them to sign the GOR, Swofford promised them revenues a lot higher than what is actually coming in
So they have in writing the revenues would be much higher? Sounds like all 15 members can sue John Swofford now for this fraud. Great! Look forward to the D&O insurance covering the shortfall of whatever was agreed to.

This day turned great!

I actually think it’s kind of fascinating that Stanford isn’t more strongly considered by the B1G. Their academic, research, and endowment profile is top notch and they have an all-around excellent athletic program. They’re in the San Fran market. Heck, at minimum they could be a west coast version of Rutgers (with a much better academic reputation) that expands the alumni base for other B1G schools to a major metropolitan area while also won’t disrupt the football gods or food chain. The more I think about it, I think private universities largely can’t compete with public universities for football (USC & ND maybe being the only exceptions).
850,000 viewers per week in 2022. No ACC school had numbers that poor. San Francisco is a pro sports town.

I think the problem with Stanford, is that they are hip-tied to Cal. Stanford, and Northwestern, have shown out fairly decently over the past 2 decades. Certainly, not bottom of the barrel, in their respective conferences.

I think the problem with Stanford, is that they are hip-tied to Cal. Stanford, and Northwestern, have shown out fairly decently over the past 2 decades. Certainly, not bottom of the barrel, in their respective conferences.
Stanford hasn't been good in 5 years. They are trending in the wrong direction. Couple that with their basketball program that has one tourney appearance in 15 years.

i'm this close right now. won't take much more for me.
8159ED61-54A7-4C74-8B6B-A5F8AE926BFE.jpeg

Thread:

Having said that, I would like to float the rumor that Miami, Cuse, VT, Pitt, Louisville and BC are all leaving to restart a new Big East. Temple, we comin’ for you. Rutgers can suck it.

It's one game.

Washington Post article today on this mentioned that the B1G adding the Pacific NW schools won't make anyone more money. And that the networks didn't want a nine game SEC schedule because they weren't shelling out more.

What is the real value of Fla State to another conference? Does anyone have an analytical look at where they stand in the hierarchy?

Those are your opinions on values, not sure the market agrees with you or the contract they were just offered would have been closer to those figures. You assume the teams will get equal value or more. Market says otherwise which why it wasn’t done.
Not really. One, PAC playing PAC is less valuable than PAC playing ACC. Two, the PAC teams I didn’t list all drag down the avg. Those would be left behind. Three, it is likely 2 of those end up in the B16 making twice as much as they would in the ACC. Explain that. Also all those teams would get $30M if they joined the B12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom