ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 133 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

You’re just making up random numbers that don’t even make sense based on the recent deal they were offered by Apple. Based on your calculations they should be able to get close to B10 and SEC numbers with just 4 schools, not even counting the value of the rest of the schools. Ridiculous post really.
Bad at math I see

I think the problem with Stanford, is that they are hip-tied to Cal. Stanford, and Northwestern, have shown out fairly decently over the past 2 decades. Certainly, not bottom of the barrel, in their respective conferences.
Stanford is private, Cal is public. Stanford is like Duke or Ivey league not tied to anyone, elite

So Washington and Oregon to the Big 10 is probably happening. And I know there are road blocks that Pete laid out in other tweets today, but if they can jump to the Big 10 and the Big 10 wants them...both sides will make it happen

Stanford is private, Cal is public. Stanford is like Duke or Ivey league not tied to anyone, elite
Stanford and Cal won't move without the other. Just like USC and Ucla wouldn't have moved to the B1G without each other.

850,000 viewers per week in 2022. No ACC school had numbers that poor. San Francisco is a pro sports town.
I forget sometimes that Stanford doesn’t add viewers in CA for the B1G with USC and UCLA. Then again, by that logic, the B1G should jettison Northwestern because they don’t add anything to the mix.

So Washington and Oregon to the Big 10 is probably happening. And I know there are road blocks that Pete laid out in other tweets today, but if they can jump to the Big 10 and the Big 10 wants them...both sides will make it happen
Chaos. I kinda like it.

The funny thing is, Stanford and Cal are absolutely perfect for the ACC profile but they are the only ones. OSU and WSU are not. So if AZ, ASU, Utah, Oregon, and Washington leave, I imagine one of the following scenarios happens

1- The remaining 4 hook into the MWC in some fashion or
2- The B1G eventually swallows Stanford and Cal as well since it actually may help facilitate a full western division at that point. May not make them a ton of money, but may reduce travel and create other logisitcal conveniences

So... attempting to translate, the ACC is exploring adding 8 teams currently in the PAC10, and seeing what whether ESPN would increase the broadcast funds if they did?

So there would be a "PCC" counterpart to the existing ACC?

And would that increase in revenue offset having 8 new mouths to feed, especially ones like Oregon State / Washington State that probably don't bring a lot of fan interest to the table?

Does anyone know if the only way to add money is to add teams? I know ESPN is struggling, but they are invested in the ACC. If it is in their best interest to stabilize the conference, couldn’t they make a financial adjustment at the next look in without diluting the conference?

Does anyone know if the only way to add money is to add teams? I know ESPN is struggling, but they are invested in the ACC. If it is in their best interest to stabilize the conference, couldn’t they make a financial adjustment at the next look in without diluting the conference?
Especially since Espn will lose good schools to Fox.

If this were to happen, we’re back to divisions I would think…in an effort to reduce travel.

Not sure how it would work. I would think UW and Oregon would still like to head to the BIG

He hasn't proven to have any idea of what he is doing.
A good Commissioner would have at least made an attempt at adding new schools in some form.
He has they didnt add value and espn said no

What's wrong with Army and Navy?

Big audiences on TV, national brands, within the regional footprint.

My 1st thought was that service academies just can't recruit the quality of scholar athletes at a P5 level, because of the unique commitment requirement. But, that may not be an insurmountable hurdle.
The academies are competitive in the Patriot League but wouldn't stand a chance in the ACC. During one of the realignments, some folks were talking about bringing in Navy for football only as a lure for ND and have Gtown play in that slot for the other sports because their program is better.

How are all those sports teams going to pay for the sudden increase in costs to fly out to those far-flung western destinations? I guess everyone's cable bill is going up in the rust belt.

(Seriously, I think someone should look at conferences being funded by networks that get their revenue not through an opt-in mechanism - I'd legislate on that. No way should conferences be getting rich on the backs of people who don't care about a cable network. Not sure if that is the way the BTN operates now, but I think it has been that way.)

If this were to happen, we’re back to divisions I would think…in an effort to reduce travel.

Not sure how it would work. I would think UW and Oregon would still like to head to the BIG

I dont think its worth doing if ALLof OR, WA, AZ,ASU are gone. Prob can deal with the big 12 OR the big 10 thing happening. But if all you are getting is Stanford, Cal, OSU, and WSU...eh. As much as I would like the idea of safety in numbers, that really DOESNT bring enough IMO

So... attempting to translate, the ACC is exploring adding 8 teams currently in the PAC10, and seeing what whether ESPN would increase the broadcast funds if they did?

So there would be a "PCC" counterpart to the existing ACC?

And would that increase in revenue offset having 8 new mouths to feed, especially ones like Oregon State / Washington State that probably don't bring a lot of fan interest to the table?
There are not 8 Pac teams worth having, unless SC and UCLA are still in the Pac. The only 7 with any value are Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Utah, Arizona St, and Arizona. The ACC would be a fool to take either of the other 2. And It probably would be best top let Arizona go Big 12.

If Oregon nd Washington are going to get the BT, the ACC should not mess with any leftover Pacs.

The academies are competitive in the Patriot League but wouldn't stand a chance in the ACC. During one of the realignments, some folks were talking about bringing in Navy for football only as a lure for ND and have Gtown play in that slot for the other sports because their program is better.
Navy is not going to lure ND.

I agree with the possible exception of the west coast schools, meaning Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington. They could possibly add dollar value to a TV deal. They are strong in non-revenue sports. And, of course, they would absolutely add to the academic standing of the ACC. Now, logistically, well, the west coast adds a whole level of complexity. Plus, if the B10 wants those schools, that’s where they’re going, not the ACC. The ACC is kind of landlocked, which is your point.
"They are strong in non-revenue sports" so they add no (revenue) value?

Disney would need a swift kick in the arse to get their Linear DTC service out then. You're not making anymore from cable subs but you could win some cord cutters back at 25-30/month

There’s always bake sales and lemonade stands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom