ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 148 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If I’m the SEC, looking at this map, I’m not sure it’s that crazy a thought combining/merging the ACC and SEC together. Prevents the B10 from eventually getting its claws in its territory. Creates a pretty close geographic footprint.
ESPN needs to merge the 2 conferences to protect their investment. If they don't, they might be left with nothing but the current SEC.

ESPN needs to merge the 2 conferences to protect their investment. If they don't, they might be left with nothing but the current SEC.
Was going to say something similar. For a conference that loves to claim they are head and shoulders #1, the SEC is being unusually quiet watching #2 potentially come within striking distance, if not overtake them

Maybe they are just happy with 16

Last edited:
Wow, I can't help thinking that the Pac-12, Big-10, and ACC putting their heads together when Texas and Oklahoma was a great idea. And it has completely fallen apart from the ACC perspective, and clearly the PAC-12. Who knows who was at fault for these leagues not getting together to come up with a response to SEC expansion. Perhaps the B10 was too arrogant to work with, or the Pac-12 was not worried.

However, the lack of a response from the ACC has been troubling. How long have we been worrying about this? 20 years, since the Warner kicked us out for VTech. So tired of it, and was hoping the ACC would do something proactive, preferably in concert with these other leagues. But nah. We just have to watch it fall apart and worry about where we are going to stand some more.

So what are Syracuse's options?

Get with Pitt, BC, and Louisville and reach out to the Big 12 and angle it as a division with WVU?

They then could have their western addition be another division, and their traditional area be two more divisions.

Four divisions of five.

Play your four division mates, and either all five of another division and three non conf games to get 12.

Or four division mates and 2 each from other three divisions leaving you with 2 non conf games.

Was going to say something similar. For a conference that loves to claim they are head and shoulders #1, the SEC is being unusually quiet watching #2 potentially come within striking distance, if not overtake them
With all the FSU smoke maybe they have approached UNC and or Clemson?

UNC stating today they have no interest in leaving the ACC screams red herring and that next week we will find out they are paying the exit fee to go to the SEC

So what are Syracuse's options?

Get with Pitt, BC, and Louisville and reach out to the Big 12 and angle it as a division with WVU?

They then could have their western addition be another division, and their traditional area be two more divisions.

Four divisions of five.

Play your four division mates, and either all five of another division and three non conf games to get 12.

Or four division mates and 2 each from other three divisions leaving you with 2 non conf games.
status quo for now

With all the FSU smoke maybe they have approached UNC and or Clemson?

UNC stating today they have no interest in leaving the ACC screams red herring and that next week we will find out they are paying the exit fee to go to the SEC

HtownOrange - did a great break down of this earlier today. Nobody in the ACC except maybe Clemson with donor support has the $ to leave this far out.

I believe that is the end game. I also believe the Big 12 is in the drivers seat because they could offer the 8 best programs in the ACC and renegotiate their media deals damn close to SEC and B1G levels. Such as: Miami, FSU, Clemson, Louisville, UNC, Duke, VaTech and PITT. They can take them all in.

The ACC teams are more valuable than the B12 teams.

It feels like schools decades ago forgot to teach the word “dilution” or maybe they forgot to also use the word “Uconn” or “umass” when explaining the concept so kids just didn’t quite get it.

That’s not true. The Big 12 was able to pull 4 schools from the Pac 12 because it’s a more viable conference. Nothing more, nothing less. The Big 12 doesn’t have any real marquee football names anymore. Had the Pac 12 even pulled in Texas Tech, Ok St, Kansas, Kansas st, Iowa St and Baylor when they had the chance they’d still have a conference and the Big 12 wouldn’t exist.

The Big 12 did to them what they could have and did have the opportunity to do to the Big 12. The Pac just chose to stand still and it ultimately led to their demise.
It’s a more viable conference now because the PAC had the only assets that the B1G wanted. USC and UCLA wouldn’t have wanted those schools in their league anyway.

Kudos to the B12 for being so mediocre that they could wait the pillaging out but let’s not act like this was some amazing chess move. If the B1G wanted any other B12 school they would be gone tomorrow, and as it currently stands it’s a league without a marquee football brand.

Last edited:
HtownOrange - did a great break down of this earlier today. Nobody in the ACC except maybe Clemson with donor support has the $ to leave this far out.
Just of curiosity, what’s the source to support the claim that Clemson is the only school in the ACC with big time boosters? My guy says they are top 5, but would be shocked they would rank #1 on that list

Just of curiosity, what’s the source to support the claim that Clemson is the only school in the ACC with big time boosters? My guy says they are top 5, but would be shocked they would rank #1 on that list

I was just throwing it out there. Clemson is as close to a SEC school as the ACC has, based on all footfall investments. So if any ACC school could afford an almost billion dollar price tag to leave early, it’d prob be them. Have to consider that there’s a lot of parties involved that would have to let and want that to happen. I feel like all of Clemson nation wouldn’t mind a move to the SEC.

I was just throwing it out there. Clemson is as close to a SEC school as the ACC has, based on all footfall investments. So if any ACC school could afford an almost billion dollar price tag to leave early, it’d prob be them. Have to consider that there’s a lot of parties involved that would have to let and want that to happen. I feel like all of Clemson nation wouldn’t mind a move to the SEC.
They'd be up there

Virginia UNC and Duke probably could get the money if needed

There is no buy out for the GOR I’m pretty sure, just speculation about what they’re worth (an awful lot).

They'd be up there

Virginia UNC and Duke probably could get the money if needed

Yes but I’m not sure even 2 if not all 3 would actually make that “investment”. Whereas, IMO, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Clemson do that.

You almost have to feel bad for Uconn at this point. ALl those bball titles and nothing and Rutgers who hasn't won anything ever in the B10. God has a funny sense of humor.
If UConn was built in the southern part of the state instead of sort of the northern, they would be in the Big 10 now instead of Rutgers. It really just comes down to that.

So seeing a lot of “cuse should do X” or “cuse should pair up with y and do x” but if we think FSU is dumb for taking on the GOR, why would we expect Syracuse would have any better luck?

I think your underestimating the teams that the Big 12 added.

How, neither of the two important conferences wanted them. The B12 added them partially out of long term survival. They were good moves for the B12 but they didn’t increase each teams payday in the B12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom