ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Name me one time that anyone else had any goodwill towards ND?

Nobody answered my question about the hypothetical ESPN approach to the ACC about a ten game schedule.

Why is it ND's duty to stop what conferences like the ACC started?

ND didn't cause this chaos. ND never wanted conference realignment.

You guys did.
The ACC completely accommodated Notre Dame football last season.
The conference had no obligation to give Notre Dame a 9 game football schedule last year.

But yeah the ACC has done nothing for Notre Dame.

I've seen many games where it appeared the refs had an unusual amount of goodwill toward the Golden Domers. The ACC also had ND's interest in mind when they gave you a 1 year membership to save your season last year. At this point, you're really building up a lot of animosity.

I understand Navy helped them out during WWII...
And ND told Navy that, in gratitude, that it would play Navy every year forever.

Name one instance in the past 75 years.

The ACC completely accommodated Notre Dame football last season.
The conference had no obligation to give Notre Dame a 9 game football schedule last year.

But yeah the ACC has done nothing for Notre Dame.
That was a mutually beneficial business transaction for both parties.

If it didn't benefit the ACC, it would not have happened.

I am not wrong.
Swofford helped Syracuse and Pitt because he did a terrible job.

You like him because we are Syracuse fans and he helped us by his terrible job but for the ACC at whole he screwed up big time.
No I simply disagree with you on this point. I do like our new commissioner better.

And ND told Navy that, in gratitude, that it would play Navy every year forever.

Name one instance in the past 75 years.
Yeah, Navy agreed to help keep Notre Dame open so they could ensure they would be on the Navy football schedule forever*.

Sure Terry.

*=Except last year, when it wasn't convenient

It didn’t benefit the ACC.
It was the conference doing right by Notre Dame.
Conference didn’t have to do it.
It did benefit the ACC. It gave you all more games that mattered and much greater exposure. While I would say their was a mutual benefit, the ACC did not have to do it so there was a level of goodwill with the move.

I dislike the ND deal. I have never been a hater of ND until the realignment. Now they are just wasting time which hurts a conference that partnered with them and allowed them to keep status quo. Landscape is changing unfortunately. As far as all the reason's that were stated for recruiting I call BS. It may have been that way up to the 2000's maybe. They have the foundation as a national team and joining a conference I doubt would hurt that. Ohio St, and Mich are in the same situation and recruit nationally. So spare me the recruiting justification. I do not think being critical of ND is too harsh at this point.

They are a parasite, using up what they can and moving to the next host when the previous one is dried up to keep life as they want it.

Here is a question for you:

What will happen if ND joins the ACC, then ESPN approaches the latter and says "If you go to a ten game conference schedule, we will pay you millions more."

Will the other ACC schools care that ND thinks that will hurt its recruiting?

Will they turn down the offer because ND thinks it will damage its football program?

Hell no, the response will be "Screw ND, we all want that extra cash".

So, ND's goose will be cooked and it will be left with no other option.

ND is a small Catholic school in Northern Indiana, with no local recruiting base. It is not Ohio State, Alabama, Florida or Texas, sitting on a rich recruiting area with a state full of kids who want to play for State U.

It has to fight the "cold" issue, the "Catholic" issue, the "it makes its players study more" issue, the "its too far away" issue and other negative recruiting thrown its way.

It believes that it has to travel all over and play games nationally in order to recruit nationally.

Why does it think that? Because it was forced to do that and it worked.

That is how Notre Dame became Notre Dame.

ND strongly believes that football independence is the best model for its brand, for advertising the school and for building and maintaining its football program.

But other people want ND to surrender independence and want it to revamp everything: how it schedules, how it recruits, who it has to play (versus who it wants to play) and how it builds and maintains its brand.

They want ND to completely dump 132 years of something that served it very well.

Why do people want this ? Is it because they think it will be better for ND? Hell no.

They only want this to line the pockets of the school(s) they root for, no other reason.

When ND counters that this may likely hurt its brand, its status and its recruiting, what guarantees are presented that this will not happen ??

Only "Aww, don't worry about it You will be just fine, trust us". That is all, nothing more.

The ACC only wants to use ND to generate extra cash.

There is nothing wrong with that, but it won't care if ND is right, that joining a conference will damage it, making it more like Nebraska or Northwestern.

It will be "Gee, that is too damned bad. Thanks for that new TV deal, though".

If you guys are right, and independence is doomed, why sell it now (it can only be sold once) and for a lower price ?

What business thrives by selling things for less instead of more, for accepting the lowest possible price?

It may be better for ND to ride out independence for as long as possible.

At least ND fans can enjoy the ride for a while and the ND haters will have to wait longer to gloat.

A conference is a conference. Surrendering independence to the ACC is not much different than surrendering independence to a Big Ten or SEC super conference.

Surrender is surrender, the rest are just details.

Either way, ND loses.
my position really isnt that ND loses, its just their hand will be forced and independence will be over.

joining the B1G or the ACC is not a loss, not for any other school right now on the outside looking in.

you will have that option, no question.

and you will likely net more $$ by doing so.

nd's independence has always been sustainable because the conferences were sorta set up to allow nd to continue business as usual.

conferences are now reaching the saturation point and will be circling the wagons...either by more conf games or an 'alliance'...or both.

you are right that nobody will consider nd, hell, nobody has yet. that will not change.

except now, schools wont have 4 open spots to schedule nd.

Ya'll don't have any. I don't expect you would have much even if ND joined the ACC.

If any, it would be short lived.

Nobody answered my question about the hypothetical ESPN approach to the ACC about a ten game schedule.

You guys did.

It's inevitable for them to survive ND will have to join a conference the way things are going.

Yeah, Navy agreed to help keep Notre Dame open so they could ensure they would be on the Navy football schedule forever*.

Sure Terry.

*=Except last year, when it wasn't convenient
Navy played 3 nonconference games last year.
Notre Dame could have played Navy over South Florida.
They scheduled South Florida.

It’s an excuse.

It did benefit the ACC. It gave you all more games that mattered and much greater exposure. While I would say their was a mutual benefit, the ACC did not have to do it so there was a level of goodwill with the move.
ACC didn’t need ND.
They had Clemson.
All the conference needed to do was play enough games for Clemson to get into the CFB.

Notre Dame ended up getting a full share from the ACC last year. They ended up making more money than they would have by being independent.

ACC didn’t need ND.
They had Clemson.
All the conference needed to do was play enough games for Clemson to get into the CFB.

Notre Dame ended up getting a full share from the ACC last year. They ended up making more money than they would have by being independent.
SO? The ACC benefitted by getting two teams in the playoff.

What business thrives by selling things for less instead of more, for accepting the lowest possible price?
And here I thought ND was a private research university inspired by its Catholic character to be a powerful force for good in the world
1629744969038.png

The rest of your post reads like Junior Soprano's opinion on his sister-in-law...

"She's like a woman with a Virginia ham under her arm, crying the blues 'cause she has no bread."

That was a mutually beneficial business transaction for both parties.

If it didn't benefit the ACC, it would not have happened.
You mean like Navy and World War 2?

What does this even have to do with ND being forced at some point. Your message is a moot point. Whatever conference has teams in will make more money that year.

That isn’t the point.
The ACC was under no obligation to help Notre Dame.
They did it because of the pandemic.
Should have played 5 ACC games and filled in the rest of their schedule own their own.
Remember independence!!!!

That isn’t the point.
The ACC was under no obligation to help Notre Dame.
They did it because of the pandemic.
Should have played 5 ACC games and filled in the rest of their schedule own their own.
Remember independence!!!!
And not benefit from getting two teams in the playoff? Okay.

Ya'll don't have any. I don't expect you would have much even if ND joined the ACC.

If any, it would be short lived.

You guys did.
I like ND more than UNC. So you at least have that going for you...

What point? Explain why you disagree please.
I think that we were fortunate to get the Accn launched. We were very close to not having a Network. I also like the long term as it makes it very difficult for a team
To leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom