ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 270 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

There hasn't been any talk about how it's even going to be resolved. I'm just not sure how it can be pulled off with out bankrupting both schools...
Wild a$$ and totally uninformed guess - cuz that's what we do - maybe some of the thinking is that they voted NO! to expansion and will now try to claim a basis to challenge the GOR in court "because" the expansion is not accretive to the league over the long term remainder of the contract and further diminishes/damages their ability to compete.

I'm not claiming to know whether any of that makes sense legally, factually, or intellectually. Just spitballing.

Is this what most fans want? Wouldn't they rather win than make more money?
Most fans want to stay in the ACC. The fear, that I share, is that with the yearly increase in the financial divide it will make it harder to compete. What I mean by that is perception. There is already constant talk about the Power 2 so how long will it be before elite recruits only want to play in those two conferences. Once that happens, it will be extremely difficult to keep up and win at a consistent high level.

Most fans want to stay in the ACC. The fear, that I share, is that with the yearly increase in the financial divide it will make it harder to compete. What I mean by that is perception. There is already constant talk about the Power 2 so how long will it be before elite recruits only want to play in those two conferences. Once that happens, it will be extremely difficult to keep up and win at a consistent high level.
It's hard enough to do that as it is. It will be interesting how teams used to winning in their current conferences react to going to one of the big 2 and possibly being mediocre.

There hasn't been any talk about how it's even going to be resolved. I'm just not sure how it can be pulled off with out bankrupting both schools...

This far out, I’ve said this for awhile particularly with FSU. Even if they found the $ to buy themselves out and I don’t think they could. It would take then possibly 2 decades or more to even break even. That’s assuming no additional costs of operating and that when new media rights come up the $ is at least equivalent in the B10 or SEC as it is now.

I hear you, but SEC has had the perception of being #1 for a while and that hasn't stopped you guys at all.

$800MM certified checks ought to do it.
Or about 400,000,000 of those IPTAY $2 bills.
AQ17mfGg

Especially when their mascot was a tree. That's a lot of wood they tote around.
It needs to be stipulated that to get into the ACC they need to ditch the damn tree.

Teel

BTW, there is like 0.1% of me that thinks the friends of SMU et al are all of a sudden investing in businesses that are run by FSU and Clemson alums this week.

The most I have seen any projections is an extra 3 million a year per school per year, once you factor in travel and how it hurts Olympic sports not sure it it make financial sense. This does nothing to appease FSU or Clemson, the gap in still way to much. Now if it was an extra 10 million per school then so be it.
I’m sure SU is happy for an extra three million.

Going to bump this as what I would like to see. If I have time I will list the rivalry games at 50 and over that will not be played, as well as the current amounts for the above.

My proposed perm rivals and number of times played. Along with games played that will not be perm. All but one game played over 57 times is safe. Interesting that the ACC has 6 games played at least 100 times, another 3 games played at least 90 times, and another 4 games played at least 83 times. SU vs Pitt is the 14th most played game within the ACC. No wonder Yankee Stadium wanted it.

BC
Rivals: SU (55), Pitt (32), Miami (30), Stanford (4)
Biggest games not included: Clemson (32), VA Tech (31)
Maybe you could work in VA Tech instead of Stanford.

Clemson
Rivals: Wake (88), NC State (87), GA Tech (86), FSU (35)
Biggest games not included: UNC (57), Duke (54), UVA (49)
Would make some sense to sub UVA and FSU, but that is too big a game to give up.

Duke
Rivals: UNC (102), Wake (98), GA Tech (90), NC State (83)
Biggest games not included: UVA (70), Clemson (54)
Can't do much changing here.

FSU
Rivals: Miami (65), Clemson (35), Louisville (20), SU (15)
Biggest games not included: NC State (41), Wake (40)
Hard to change much here. Maybe sub GA Tech for SU?

GA Tech
Rivals: Duke (90), Clemson (86), UVA (44), Cal (7)
Biggest games not included: UNC (57)
See FSU.

Louisville
Rivals: FSU (20), Miami (12), VA Tech (8), SMU (2)
Biggest games not included: SU (21), Pitt (19), BC (15)
I don't want to see SU as a perm rival. Pitt would make sense.

Miami
Rivals: FSU (65), BC (30), Louisville (12), SMU (1)
Biggest games not included: Pitt (42), VA Tech (40)
Both Pitt and VA Tech would be good games to add, maybe sub out SMU.

UNC
Rivals: UVA (117), Wake (105), Duke (102), NC State (102)
Biggest games not included: Clemson (57), GA Tech (57)
This is all set.

NC State
Rivals: Wake (115), UNC (102), Clemson (87), Duke (83)
Biggest games not included: UVA (56), VA Tech (48)
Can't change these.

Pitt
Rivals: SU (78), BC (32), VA Tech (22), Cal (5)
Biggest games not included: Miami (42)
Someone has to play Cal but hard to not include Miami.

SU
Rivals: Pitt (78), BC (55), VA Tech (19), FSU (15)
Biggest games not included: Miami (23), Louisville (21)
Would love to get rid of FSU. Then again we have no one to add.

UVA
Rivals: UNC (117), VA Tech (98), GA Tech (44), Stanford (0)
Biggest games not included: Duke (70), NC State (56), Wake (50), Clemson (49)
Can't really add any of those.

VA Tech
Rivals: UVA (98), Pitt (22), SU (19), Louisville (8)
Biggest games not included: NC State (48), Miami (40), UNC (40), Wake (39), FSU (37)
Probably should add in one of the Florida schools. But someone has to have Louisville (and not us!)

Wake
Rivals: NC State (115), UNC (105), Duke (98), Clemson (88)
Biggest games not included: UVA (50)
Nothing to change.

Cal
Rivals: Stanford (102), GA Tech (7), Pitt (5), SMU (1)
Biggest games not included: Miami (4)
Not much to change.

SMU
Rivals: Louisville (2), Cal (1), Stanford (1), Miami (1)
Biggest games not included: GA Tech (11), Pitt (6)
GA Tech doesn't seem to make sense but they have at least played some games.

Stanford
Rivals: Cal (102), BC (4), SMU (1), UVA (0)
Biggest games not included: Duke (4), Pitt (4), UNC (4)

I'm wondering who owns the GOR. Is it the ACC or did they sell that to ESPN? If ESPN owns the rights, and the SEC is an ESPN property, then they, FSU and Clemson, don't have to buy them back. A lot of moving parts.
The ACC "owns" the GoR Anyone who leaves the ACC before the GoR expires in 2036 owes the ACC a huge check as an exit fee, PLUS the departing team must sign over all their TV money from the new conference to the ACC. so any team leaving before the expiration better have some really deep pockets lined up to pay the exit fee and fund the program by replacing the lost TV money. The ACC has no reason whatsoever to accommodate an early departure, and, after being criticized for compromising with Maryland, will probably insist on enforcing the GoR to the letter.

The fact that they still cant just come out and say they are voting means they still don't have they votes locked up, which is concerning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom