ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 337 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If past success can drive future revenue opportunities then the B12 would have the the market cornered should it add UConn for hoops. They would have the last 4 title winners. If they were to aim to try and grab Duke and UNC somehow (hypothetical only) then they would have 7 of the last 10 winners and still probably a high pct over the next 10 yrs with those two winning more titles.

Truly a new “conference of champions” on the hoops side. Now that’s a lot of what ifs that don’t make sense when you look at the profiles of certain schools but it’s hard not to see the play here in terms of having a strong enough football conference with the best hoops conference hands down. The money likely makes far less sense than the fantasy land mindset to building a super hoops conference but it does look a bit like what the thinking could be.

If past success can drive future revenue opportunities then the B12 would have the the market cornered should it add UConn for hoops. They would have the last 4 title winners. If they were to aim to try and grab Duke and UNC somehow (hypothetical only) then they would have 7 of the last 10 winners and still probably a high pct over the next 10 yrs with those two winning more titles.
The Big 10 and SEC strong-armed everybody with the football CFP unequal revenue sharing by basing it on past CFP participants. Say the power 4 gets control of the March Tournament money too. If the Big 12 adds UCONN, the Big 12 would have had 4 basketball champions in a row and 5 in the title game. The ACC is strong in championship titles / appearances too going back more time. Yormark should fly to Charlotte to meet Phillips, with the national media reporting it like they did with Sankey flying to meet Petitti before strong-arming everybody. During the next commissioners meeting, I would like to be in the room to see Sankey's and Petitti's faces when Yormark and Phillips demand more revenue due to the more title game appearances.

At this point I have to think the B12 is trolling UConn. How can their move be imminent ever year only to be turned down every time?
UConn approached them this time with a different offer. No football until 2031 and only football would be accepted by the Big 12 if UConn hits some benchmarks. Pretty good deal I think for the Big 12. Travel, no rivalries, would suck for UConn though. Their hope is that they would get a travel / history partner somewhere down the road.

1725554528306.gif

You may remember, Elway played for the Oneonta Yankees in 1982...
Growing up in a suburb of Utica & playing baseball, I have often heard the tale of a play Elway made playing right field in a game vs Utica at Murnane Field. Legend has it that a Blue Sox batter hit a gapper with a runner on first that ended up settling at the base of the right center fence & that Elway picked it up, took a mini crow hop & fired an absolute missile on a rope that hit the catchers glove in the air at home to nail the lead runner at home & end the inning. There’s no video or reference that I’ve found online but I’ve had 10-12 older people, from coaches to teachers to people involved with Utica area baseball & sports history, who claim to have been in attendance & they nearly unanimously say it’s the most impressive sports/physical/overall feat they’ve seen in person. One, who was like 10-11 years old in attendance, claims that they didn’t see it because they were “flirting with girls” in the bleachers but could tell by the crowd’s roaring reaction & ensuing recollections that something truly special had occurred. I always wondered if there was any sort of proof or record of this.

Anyway, I hit the ol’ Ken Spliffy Jr. a little hard tonight so my apologies for the novel that I won’t bother proofreading.

Growing up in a suburb of Utica & playing baseball, I have often heard the tale of a play Elway made playing right field in a game vs Utica at Murnane Field. Legend has it that a Blue Sox batter hit a gapper with a runner on first that ended up settling at the base of the right center fence & that Elway picked it up, took a mini crow hop & fired an absolute missile on a rope that hit the catchers glove in the air at home to nail the lead runner at home & end the inning. There’s no video or reference that I’ve found online but I’ve had 10-12 older people, from coaches to teachers to people involved with Utica area baseball & sports history, who claim to have been in attendance & they nearly unanimously say it’s the most impressive sports/physical/overall feat they’ve seen in person. One, who was like 10-11 years old in attendance, claims that they didn’t see it because they were “flirting with girls” in the bleachers but could tell by the crowd’s roaring reaction & ensuing recollections that something truly special had occurred. I always wondered if there was any sort of proof or record of this.

Anyway, I hit the ol’ Ken Spliffy Jr. a little hard tonight so my apologies for the novel that I won’t bother proofreading.
Were they hot? Btw, I am also a Utica suburbanite, and I have seen a few games at now Donovan Stadium. I believe my first game there was when they were the Utica Blue Jays.

Were they hot? Btw, I am also a Utica suburbanite, and I have seen a few games at now Donovan Stadium. I believe my first game there was when they were the Utica Blue Jays.
Ha. I’d have to ask but, let’s face it, if you’re using it as your reason for missing Elway, could the answer be anything but “of course”?

That’s right, it’s Donovan now. I’ve played a few HS/Legion games there & ran by it during a few Boilermakers. My earliest memories are Utica Blue Sox as one of the Marlins’ lowest Minor A affiliates. NY-Penn League I believe. The Elway play is up there with Larry Walker & Miguel Cabrera on the franchise Mount Rushmore.

Ha. I’d have to ask but, let’s face it, if you’re using it as your reason for missing Elway, could the answer be anything but “of course”?

That’s right, it’s Donovan now. I’ve played a few HS/Legion games there & ran by it during a few Boilermakers. My earliest memories are Utica Blue Sox as one of the Marlins’ lowest Minor A affiliates. NY-Penn League I believe. The Elway play is up there with Larry Walker & Miguel Cabrera on the franchise Mount Rushmore.
Don’t forget Tony Fernandez (I think) and of course the visit from Morganna the kissing bandit was legendary

Haha. I grew up in the MV too and heard the same probably from the same 10-12 people. It
must be true!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State &amp; San Diego State leaving Mountain West to join Pac-12 in 2026, sources told <a href="x.com">@ActionNetworkHQ</a>. Official announcement is expected Thursday morning, sources said. The MWC schools will join Oregon State &amp; Washington State, but Pac-12 still…</p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) <a href="">September 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
That seems to stop any further western expansion of the ACC. Though I am not sure if the new Pac6 will have a GOR.

It is does, the only viable play I could see would be to add Utah and UNLV. I doubt it adds more money for the existing ACC members so it surely will not happen.

UNLV really gets boned here. I bet they are really unhappy.

That seems to stop any further western expansion of the ACC. Though I am not sure if the new Pac6 will have a GOR.

It is does, the only viable play I could see would be to add Utah and UNLV. I doubt it adds more money for the existing ACC members so it surely will not happen.

UNLV really gets boned here. I bet they are really unhappy.
Do they leave Hawaii ... On an island?

Remaining MWC teams:
Air Force
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico
San Jose State
UNLV
Utah State
Wyoming

Current CUSA:
Delaware
FIU
Jacksonville State
Kennesaw State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Missouri St
New Mexico State
San Houston State
UTEP
Western Kentucky

If the PAC takes two more from the MWC, the MWC can easily grab a couple of Texas schools from CUSA.

I have to admit, I don't understand the economics of a future Pac-12 and why schools are leaving the Mountain West for it.

Obviously, OSU and WSU are benefitting from the money the departed left behind. Aside from that...?

A new Pac-12 is not going to be considered a power conference, nor will it get any special access to the CFP.

I can't quite figure out what the end game is here for everyone involved.

Remaining MWC teams:
ir Force
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico
San Jose State
UNLV
Utah State
Wyoming

Current CUSA:
Delaware
FIU
Jacksonville State
Kennesaw State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Missouri St
New Mexico State
San Houston State
UTEP
Western Kentucky

If the PAC takes two more from the MWC, the MWC can easily grab a couple of Texas schools from CUSA.
P12 should just rip the band aid and grab Wyoming, Utah State, UNLV, Nevada, Air Force and try flipping Utah

MWC takes all of CUSA minus Delaware

Delaware, UConn, and UMass form the basis for a mighty football conference in the northeast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom