ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 336 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Yormark is a New Yorker and has been a one man show, strong arming the conference presidents, about getting into New York. He may get his wish.

Yormark is a New Yorker and has been a one man show, strong arming the conference presidents, about getting into New York. He may get his wish.
Im not a fan but the guy has stones

Quick thoughts:

1) Is Yormark looking to backfill in anticipation of losses (i.e. the ACC backfilling with Big 12 teams)?
2) Can UConn football hang on that long?
3) Are the former conference mates in WVU, Cinci, UCF enough to warrant flying teams cross country?
4) why not move football when hoops joins the Big 12? Why wait?
5) If I recall, UConn is second only to Rutgers in annual red ink in the AD. Will Big 12 money fix the mess?

This is a far drop from B1G expectations with the ACC as a fall back.

The conference changes have become tiresome. With that being said, if Cuse finds itself with a football schedule including BC, Pitt, Va Tech, and WVU again that would be nice.

Quick thoughts:

1) Is Yormark looking to backfill in anticipation of losses (i.e. the ACC backfilling with Big 12 teams)?
3) Are the former conference mates in WVU, Cinci, UCF enough to warrant flying teams cross country?
5) If I recall, UConn is second only to Rutgers in annual red ink in the AD. Will Big 12 money fix the mess?

Or possibly Yormark is starting siege warfare by removing a potential ACC backfill with losses of the ACC brands.

Or possibly Yormark is starting siege warfare by removing a potential ACC backfill with losses of the ACC brands.
I think the ACC bridge was burned by UConn. I am not sure SU and Pitt would offer much more that a superficial support for UConn to the ACC. The old ACC schools are not likely to forget UConn’s actions anytime soon. I think 5he ACC would plug their nose and vote in WVU with the lousy academics before admitting the puppies. Just my opinion.

Quick thoughts:

Just a guess--UConn football would drag down the rest of the league competitively, and might reduce annual payouts to the rest of the league members.

Take UConn hoops first with a (much) reduced payout, and give them 5 years to beef up the football program.

Just a guess--UConn football would drag down the rest of the league competitively, and might reduce annual payouts to the rest of the league members.

Take UConn hoops first with a (much) reduced payout, and give them 5 years to beef up the football program.
They aren't even letting them in for FB until 2031. Obviously TV won't pay a pro-rata.

All I can think of is Yormark will get investors to fund a conference network. He desperately needs that...that is the ACC's ace card over the Big 12.

I think eventually the ACC and Big12 need to merge as a counter balance to the SEC/B1G. The ACC brings the network and the B12 brings the Internet Trolls to do battle for the Big12ACC

Usually when things leak to the media in regards to conference realignment, it’s already a done and essentially a formality. This doesn’t seem to be the case in this situation. So you have to look at the anterior motives. Who would have the benefit of leaking this to the press.

I could be wrong, but sounds like UConn leaked this to the media to try and entice another conference to pick them up. Seems like a ploy to try and get ACC entrance.

Hey ACC. The Big 12 wants us, you don’t want them coming into your territory. Plus you can show strength by taking a team that the Big 12 covets.

I could be totally off base here, just seems strange this is leaked so early in the process.

Quick thoughts:

I don’t get adding UConn now from either side.

Hey B12 schools we can add UConn non FB and you all can make $1M less per year in hopes that in 5 years we get a better TV contract not knowing what the market is like or if any of your conference mates jump to the B18, SEC, or ACC. Deal?

Hey UConn you can pay the Big East exit fee (where are they getting that money?) and increase your travel costs so you can have $5M more per year and face stiffer competition while moving away from your base. Oh and if your FB team is halfway decent we will add them in 5 years ( good luck with that as an Indy), Deal?

It would be funny if the B12 schools voted no. Think of the humiliation.

As to a B12 conference network, they cannot add one this go around. They already sold those TV rights. As to the next TV contract, by that time TV networks might be a thing of the past. Good luck finding someone to invest in that for those schools.

As to the unbundling of sports, I think that might hurt the B12. What network is going to pay for the non FB/BBall sports? So those will get little to no money and little to no exposure. A third rate FB only contract isn’t going to do well. BBall will be attractive but it is still well below FB. It won’t be some cash cow. In the end I think you will see ESPN and Fox split the contracts but for less money overall than a bundled contract. Really they are the only two who would have interest in the B12.

The next additions for the ACC need to be large media markets and schools with lots of alums. Big markets Big schools. Not sure who that would be but that would be my focus.

The next additions for the ACC need to be large media markets and schools with lots of alums. Big markets Big schools. Not sure who that would be but that would be my focus.
Big brands in particular and fans who pay to watch on TV. Folks who will pony up for a streaming service at a monthly fee. That’s ultimately what will matter. JW and our chancellor get this. They know where it’s going. It’s why they’re focused on extending value of SU brand around the country too and investing a lot more in sports right now. It drives admissions and creates long term loyalty which means more donations. It’s silly prior admins didn’t play the long game.

You are talking raiding the Big 10 or SEC then. Only 1 team with a sliver (0.1%) of a chance is Penn State. It would take multiple years of missing the playoffs for Ohio State or Michigan bias, their athletes complaining of the travel, ACC stabilizing and doing well in the CFP, and with a new, good ACC tv contract. The Pittsburgh-Penn State rivalry would be an enticement too.

They aren't even letting them in for FB until 2031. Obviously TV won't pay a pro-rata.

All I can think of is Yormark will get investors to fund a conference network. He desperately needs that...that is the ACC's ace card over the Big 12.

I think eventually the ACC and Big12 need to merge as a counter balance to the SEC/B1G. The ACC brings the network and the B12 brings the Internet Trolls to do battle for the Big12ACC
The merger needs to happen within 2 years to insure, no more moves by the SEC, and BIG. And when you do you bring the last 2 Pac 12 schools along.
Then you form divisions along regional lines.
Actually this would be beneficial to both ESPN and Fox.
You have the entire country covered for streaming of Basketball, and Football.
You have cut costs for non revenue sports. You don't end up in court over Title 9. You don't violate any Anti-trust laws. States don't take you to court.
Except something that obvious is beyond the depth of the Networks and Conferece leaders.

Usually when things leak to the media in regards to conference realignment, it’s already a done and essentially a formality. This doesn’t seem to be the case in this situation. So you have to look at the anterior motives. Who would have the benefit of leaking this to the press.

I could be wrong, but sounds like UConn leaked this to the media to try and entice another conference to pick them up. Seems like a ploy to try and get ACC entrance.

Hey ACC. The Big 12 wants us, you don’t want them coming into your territory. Plus you can show strength by taking a team that the Big 12 covets.

I could be totally off base here, just seems strange this is leaked so early in the process.
In another article they said the meeting was Tuesday.

I think the ACC bridge was burned by UConn. I am not sure SU and Pitt would offer much more that a superficial support for UConn to the ACC. The old ACC schools are not likely to forget UConn’s actions anytime soon. I think 5he ACC would plug their nose and vote in WVU with the lousy academics before admitting the puppies. Just my opinion.
AS football is the King Maker, and WVU football is worth at least 3 times what UConn footbal is worth, even the idiots running the ACC would take WVU over UConn.

They would also take Cincy over UConn, and Baylor, TCU, TTU, Houston, Utah, Arizona, AZ ST, and even AAU school USF over UConn.

You are talking raiding the Big 10 or SEC then. Only 1 team with a sliver (0.1%) of a chance is Penn State. It would take multiple years of missing the playoffs for Ohio State or Michigan bias, their athletes complaining of the travel, ACC stabilizing and doing well in the CFP, and with a new, good ACC tv contract. The Pittsburgh-Penn State rivalry would be an enticement too.
I think that there is only 1 way that the northeast ever again becomes a region filled with a large, passionate TV audience for CFB: 1 league must have PSU, Pitt, and Syracuse (all playing annually), and must have ND tied to that league at least by scheduling arrangement. If people wish to expand the CFB audience, that is something they would start to work toward making happen.

It is not being located in a large TV market that matters. It is being able to deliver fans who watch on TV, regardless of market. That said, large state flagship and/or land grant schools are preferable; schools located in areas that produce a whole lot talent are preferable; schools located in towns and states that are football crazed are preferable.

I thought Yukon dropped back to 1AA.

AS football is the King Maker, and WVU football is worth at least 3 times what UConn footbal is worth, even the idiots running the ACC would take WVU over UConn.

They would also take Cincy over UConn, and Baylor, TCU, TTU, Houston, Utah, Arizona, AZ ST, and even AAU school USF over UConn.
Add San Diego State
Tulane Central Florida

Add San Diego State
Tulane Central Florida
With no NFL or NBA in SanDiego, San Diego St in a Major conference would be a worthwhile invite, especially if that league already has a presence in PST and MST.

Add San Diego State
Tulane Central Florida
this is interesting because as much as we say “football is the only thing that matters” if that was the case Tulane would be out of the aac this year. There is always more than this board (and every other board) says.

The Big 12 (at least as we know it) won't be around in 2031 for their football team to move there, so to me this story is a nothing-burger other than UCONN men's basketball leaving the Big East and we get UCONN-Kansas a few times a year in the regular season there.

The SEC/Big10 Splitting away from the NCAA is coming and they will cherry-pick from the ACC/Big 12 and kill off those conferences by 2031. I understand why UCONN would make this move, but they should force football being in before 2031.

I think if the ACC were required to add another school located in the northeast that Temple gets the invite before UConn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom