ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 338 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I have to admit, I don't understand the economics of a future Pac-12 and why schools are leaving the Mountain West for it.

Obviously, OSU and WSU are benefitting from the money the departed left behind. Aside from that...?

A new Pac-12 is not going to be considered a power conference, nor will it get any special access to the CFP.

I can't quite figure out what the end game is here for everyone involved.
Glad someone smarter than me said this, because that was my first thought also when I read this. They know it's not the old Pac 12 they are joining, right?

P12 should just rip the band aid and grab Wyoming, Utah State, UNLV, Nevada, Air Force and try flipping Utah

MWC takes all of CUSA minus Delaware

Delaware, UConn, and UMass form the basis for a mighty football conference in the northeast
I imagine Utah would rather fold their university than leave the B12 for that amalgam of mediocrity. ;)

I don't think it's a coincidence that only 4 schools are leaving the MW for the P12. A D1 conference needs to have 8 schools per NCAA rules. The MW would have 8 remaining. If OSU and WSU wanted to merely replicate the MW with a different name there are easier ways of doing that than adding a few schools at a time. I imagine they'll look elsewhere to add a final 2.

Glad someone smarter than me said this, because that was my first thought also when I read this. They know it's not the old Pac 12 they are joining, right?
Right? Not that I'm in any way an expert on western conference dynamics, but there seems to always be a level of disgruntlement amongst the non-power schools out there with conference alignment.

I grew up in the heyday of the 80s WAC. I remember when that conference grew to 16 teams in the 90s when they absorbed the SWC leftovers. That's what caused the creation of the MW, since the old line WAC schools hated that expansion (and presumably being associated with those schools).

I get the sense that there's perpetually a half dozen schools out there who feel like they should be in a power conference and not in Group of 5 purgatory. Maybe this is their shot to feel important or something?

I have to admit, I don't understand the economics of a future Pac-12 and why schools are leaving the Mountain West for it.

Obviously, OSU and WSU are benefitting from the money the departed left behind. Aside from that...?

A new Pac-12 is not going to be considered a power conference, nor will it get any special access to the CFP.

ACC should give Stanford and Cal the option of going back. Not that they would take it, but their travel and logistics in general are so dumb.

I still don't understand how the Rose Bowl will be played and who.

Rose Bowl is now a CFP Quarterfinal game on Jan 1.

Playoff seeding will determine matchups.

CFP_Schedule_Announce_Graphic_Twitter.jpg

Thank you. I didn't realize they moved X amount of the bowls to be the playoff.

The 6 New Years bowls became the Qtrs and Semis. They will each get a turn at hosting the two Semis, except for the Rose who opted to remain on Jan 1 every year.

MWC schools will merge with CUSA or Sun Belt. They fit with the likes of North Texas, NMSU, and UTSA.

Hawaii might have to go Indy. I think the Nevada schools manage to join the P12. New Mexico and Utah State as well.

Lots of now-ACC team involvement in this story...

John Elway (Stanford)
Al Davis (Syracuse)
Eric Dickerson (SMU)
Jim Kelly (Miami)
Dan Marino (Pitt)

You may remember, Elway played for the Oneonta Yankees in 1982...
Per the brother of my brother-in-law was in the frat that owned the home he stayed in that summer. Said he trashed the place and was an ass.

I would think that they are cutting the fat from the MWC. And/or they plan to raid the top teams from the AAC. Last go around that was part of the PAC's issue. Just being West coast. If the new Pan American Conference has the best of the MWC and the best of the AAC, it would be a secure #5 FB conference. The 5th best champ makes the CFB Playoff. So they would be pretty much locking that in.

why would we ever do that.

I assume we never would. But it would put a little bit of reality back into this chaos.

Bigger question is why would they ever do it. They'd lose money. Yeah, the student athletes wouldn't be traveling cross country all the time, but I don't think anyone is losing sleep over that.

I think each gets about a 1/3 share of the per team revenue right now. So for the ACC, I think that would be about $20M back into the pot to give to everyone else. Not SMU though, because I believe they agreed not to take anything.

I would think that they are cutting the fat from the MWC. And/or they plan to raid the top teams from the AAC. Last go around that was part of the PAC's issue. Just being West coast. If the new Pan American Conference has the best of the MWC and the best of the AAC, it would be a secure #5 FB conference. The 5th best champ makes the CFB Playoff. So they would be pretty much locking that in.

Why not also add UNLV and Air Force? One in prime location and the other has been a solid brand for MWC. Maybe they're still negotiating with them, who knows, but they will need 2 more teams at a minimum.

So if the PAC 12 actually went to 12, would they move East?

You have USF, FAU, Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, ECU, Temple, JMU, Northern Illinois, Toledo, UConn who would all make sense. If they added FAU they would have 2 recent BBall Final Four teams, which the old PAC couldn't pull off ironically.

Based on the fact they took CSU over Air Force, I don't think they would go for Army and Navy.

Money is the reality. Money is the driver.

I'm amazed at folks acting shocked that college sports are not exempt from capitalism running completely amok. My only surprise is that it has taken this long.

Just wait until PE gets involved...

Why not also add UNLV and Air Force? One in prime location and the other has been a solid brand for MWC. Maybe they're still negotiating with them, who knows, but they will need 2 more teams at a minimum.

I am surprised they didn't take UNLV. I think you have to go one team per state, so I don't think Air Force would be added. They now have Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Idaho, and Colorado. Nevada, Utah, New Mexico are all still there. I don't think Wyoming is worth adding. I suppose Montana and the Dakotas are available if you grab an FCS, but IMO that won't move the $ needle.

ACC should give Stanford and Cal the option of going back. Not that they would take it, but their travel and logistics in general are so dumb.
Our conference finally feels a bit more stable now, no way should we go backwards. I wish things were regional as well but that ship has seemingly sailed if we want to be at the big dog table.

Money is the reality. Money is the driver.

I'm amazed at folks acting shocked that college sports are not exempt from capitalism running completely amok. My only surprise is that it has taken this long.

Just wait until PE gets involved...
That's my point in this case... what money? Do we think this new Pac-12 is going to secure a media rights windfall much better than the Mountain West?

Right now the MW pulls in $45M a year from CBS and FOX. That deal expires after the 25-26 season. They cut a deal recently with TNT Sports to put games on Max and truTV but I don't believe it was for much money.

The AAC signed a deal in 2019 that pays them $83M/year. If the MW held together I would think they'd double their existing deal, simply due to market conditions.

So that's the baseline for these 4 schools moving to the P12. How much will a reconstituted P12 make over what the MW was going to get in their next deal. +10%? +30%?

Forgive my rambling posts here, I'm just working through this in my mind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom