ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Yup.

Hoping all divisions go away.

Hoping all conferences go to 8 game conference schedules. Except the SEC. They can play themselves 12 times a season for all I care.

Let conferences decide how they want to determine conference champs and how they want to schedule their conference games.

Need to get the Alliance schools to 8 game conference schedules ASAP so more alliance games can be scheduled (every conference member should play at least one alliance game a season).
Agree however I would say 2 alliance schools. Must play one in each conference every year. Then 2 G5. Finally have the officiating crew from the conference not associated with either team do the game.

Yup.

Hoping all conferences go to 8 game conference schedules. Except the SEC. They can play themselves 12 times a season for all I care.

Let conferences decide how they want to determine conference champs and how they want to schedule their conference games.

Need to get the Alliance schools to 8 game conference schedules ASAP so more alliance games can be scheduled (every conference member should play at least one alliance game a season).

ND is an issue for the ACC and 9 conference games. I rather see 9 or even 10 games, but the ACC can't. If all the other conferences are at 9, ND might be forced to add a 6th ACC game.

I think we will see:

SEC 3-6/6 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly B12)

B1G 5-4/4 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly ACC/P12)

B12 7-2/2 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly SEC)
P12 7-2/2 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly ACC/B1G)

ACC 3-5/5 plus 2 P5 OOC (mainly ND and B1G/P12)

I could see the SEC even going to 10 games eventually (5-5/5). More TV money and phase out the G5. That would cause the B1G (3-7/7) and B12/P12 to follow (9-1/1).

So they should get out of the way by rescinding their rule re: divisions required for a championship game.
They can't "just rescind the rule"; they didn't impose this rule on the schools and conferences. The schools and conferences voted to impose the rule on themselves. Despite what a lot of people think, the NCAA doesn't just invent rules and arbitrarily impose them. The schools have to approve any rule proposed by a school, conference, or NCAA HQ and agree to impose it on themselves. The division rule covers FCS, D-2, and D-3 as well. The P5 has made a carve-out that applies to the FBS only. They can hold a meeting of the conferences at any time they choose and vote to change the rule. Whether they keep the present rule or adopt a new rule that eliminates divisions is totally up to the conferences to decide. NCAA HQ has absolutely no say in the matter.

Yup.

The problem with this is that the schools in the ACC that carry the water for the conference in football want to play SEC schools, not Alliance schools. This could end up tearing the ACC apart, which has been the B1G's and their Manchurian ACC commissioners plan all along, IMO.

They can't "just rescind the rule"; they didn't impose this rule on the schools and conferences. The schools and conferences voted to impose the rule on themselves. Despite what a lot of people think, the NCAA doesn't just invent rules and arbitrarily impose them. The schools have to approve any rule proposed by a school, conference, or NCAA HQ and agree to impose it on themselves. The division rule covers FCS, D-2, and D-3 as well. The P5 has made a carve-out that applies to the FBS only. They can hold a meeting of the conferences at any time they choose and vote to change the rule. Whether they keep the present rule or adopt a new rule that eliminates divisions is totally up to the conferences to decide. NCAA HQ has absolutely no say in the matter.
Based upon our experience as an athletic program, "NCAA" and "arbitrary" fit together like Frick and Frack.

I am surprised to learn that the championship game rule can be changed without the NCAA's input. That being the case, and based upon the the rumblings coming out of the B1G, I hope Phillips is on the phone with his Alliance partners Warren and Kliavkoff. The sooner the individual conferences are free to determine how they pick their champions the better.

ND is an issue for the ACC and 9 conference games. I rather see 9 or even 10 games, but the ACC can't. If all the other conferences are at 9, ND might be forced to add a 6th ACC game.

I think we will see:

SEC 3-6/6 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly B12)

B1G 5-4/4 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly ACC/P12)

B12 7-2/2 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly SEC)
P12 7-2/2 plus 1 P5 OOC (mainly ACC/B1G)

ACC 3-5/5 plus 2 P5 OOC (mainly ND and B1G/P12)

I could see the SEC even going to 10 games eventually (5-5/5). More TV money and phase out the G5. That would cause the B1G (3-7/7) and B12/P12 to follow (9-1/1).
I hear a lot of chatter about the Pac 12 and B1G also going to 8 game conference schedules.

It sounds like the SEC might go to 9 and be the only P4 conference using that model.

As always, these decisions will be driven by television and self interest. If the ACC, P12 and B1G can get the same money or more adding an Alliance game as the 9th game, they will, because it makes it a little easier to get to the playoffs. Most of these schools are already playing an Alliance type opponent OOC so switching to an 8 game conference schedule should give most schools a chance to replace a P4 type opponent with a G5 type opponent. If ESPN is okay with it, I think it is going to happen.

Before, the B1G (with their PAC 12 little sister) blocked it. Not any more.

Based upon our experience as an athletic program, "NCAA" and "arbitrary" fit together like Frick and Frack.

I am surprised to learn that the championship game rule can be changed without the NCAA's input. That being the case, and based upon the the rumblings coming out of the B1G, I hope Phillips is on the phone with his Alliance partners Warren and Kliavkoff. The sooner the individual conferences are free to determine how they pick their champions the better.
We'd already be using the 3-5-5 schedule for quite a while but Swofford got taken for a ride when it came time to vote. The change that allowed the Big XII to keep their championship game came to vote first. Swofford and the ACC voted in favor, figuring that the rest would go along with 3-5-5. Only they didn't vote in favor it which came as a surprise to Swofford. It's possible he was lied to by other schools/conference HQs. If the 3-5-5 vote had come up first, he could have had us vote against the Big XII in retaliation or at least threated to do so to get the Big XII teams to go along. All of this happened because the B1G and the SEC were hoping that the ACC would implode and they'd get to pick over the pieces. Once the ACC Network happened, that idea went bust, making the SEC and the B1G more amenable to allowing 3-5-5.

Before, the B1G (with their PAC 12 little sister) blocked it. Not any more.
The SEC blocked it, too, IIRC.

The craziest thing about voting down 3-5-5 is that a bunch of schools in the B1G and the SEC would benefit from the change by having to face only 1 big gun at a time instead of 2 or at least getting a 2-year break from having both on the schedule. The only loser is Auburn who would still have to face Alabama and Georgia each year.

Yeah but it’s not going to happen.
How can they expand the season to 13 games and then expand the CFB.
These kids need to be employees then and compensated. Like it’s a pro league.
That many games isn’t safe.

It should 12 regular season games. No conference championships. Playoff of 8 teams. Cut the number of bowls in half. No more bowls that are *only* a product name. Those are the bowls that go.

It should 12 regular season games. No conference championships. Playoff of 8 teams. Cut the number of bowls in half. No more bowls that are *only* a product name. Those are the bowls that go.
So, you want to limit the number of kids who have worked their asses off from taking a trip to a potentially fun destination and a swag bag as a small reward for all their hard work? :rolleyes:

I mean, I get that these bowls don't mean as much as the Rose Bowl, but sheesh. Just because you don't like saying Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl, doesn't mean it's not important to kids, coaches, their families, etc.

The SEC isn't giving up the pay day that is the SEC CG so other conferences can get a seat at the playoff table.

So, you want to limit the number of kids who have worked their asses off from taking a trip to a potentially fun destination and a swag bag as a small reward for all their hard work? :rolleyes:

I mean, I get that these bowls don't mean as much as the Rose Bowl, but sheesh. Just because you don't like saying Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl, doesn't mean it's not important to kids, coaches, their families, etc.

Bowls mean nothing anymore. Nobody watches. Ratings are awful.

They mean something to the kids. I know some of us are used to an era in which bowls were rare and it's hard not to feel like their importance is diluted, and that's certainly true overall... but not necessarily to the kids playing the game.

Growing up in Queens, NY- it seemed there was a deli/pizza/grocery store, on every corner & every block. I remember asking my Dad why there were so many and he answered: “If folks weren’t making money, they’d stop opening them”.
Same answer for Bowls. Someone’s obviously making money & it’s worth it. And as long as that’s the case, the bowl system is not going anywhere.

Puh-lese. While you may not care about the Bahama Bowl pitting teams from Conference USA and the MAC, they do. Unless there are guaranteed bids for all conferences, their teams are not going to get invited to the playoffs. So you're saying their good teams don't deserve any recognition? And, as far as viewership is concerned, if ESPN was dissatisfied with their numbers, they would drop coverage and the bowl would go away. They are the primary force behind having so many bowl games because they need content.

Puh-lese. While you may not care about the Bahama Bowl pitting teams from Conference USA and the MAC, they do. Unless there are guaranteed bids for all conferences, their teams are not going to get invited to the playoffs. So you're saying their good teams don't deserve any recognition? And, as far as viewership is concerned, if ESPN was dissatisfied with their numbers, they would drop coverage and the bowl would go away. They are the primary force behind having so many bowl games because they need content.
Gambling is why the bowls won’t go away. It’s becoming more and more a part of sports broadcasts.

The ratings aren’t great but they are better than pro regular season hockey or basketball numbers.

I don’t think the bowls should be nonprofits. That js why their are so many of them. Create a bowl, create a 501c-3, sell the TV rights, sell corporate sponsor find jobs for family that are easy money And its a nonprofit.

Gambling is why the bowls won’t go away. It’s becoming more and more a part of sports broadcasts.

The ratings aren’t great but they are better than pro regular season hockey or basketball numbers.

I don’t think the bowls should be nonprofits. That js why their are so many of them. Create a bowl, create a 501c-3, sell the TV rights, sell corporate sponsor find jobs for family that are easy money And its a nonprofit.
... or more repeats of SportsCenter from 11 AM to 2 PM.

Don't they have to show that there's money going to charity?

... or more repeats of SportsCenter from 11 AM to 2 PM.

Don't they have to show that there's money going to charity?
You “pay” yourfamily/friend to work for the bowls and the 501c3 gives them salaries that don’t match the work.
Then donate the “rest” to charity.

You can make millions selling TV contract and sponsorships. Employ 10 family members pay them 100k say and then donate the rest to charity.

It’s part of the bowl scam. Fiesta Bowl executive had to be fired because he was making mid 6 figures in the scam and using it for political donations. That clashed with the nonprofit status.

The lower bowls dont get 500k salaries but they do use the bowls to as patronage jobs.

Then apply that to the nonprofits across the entire economy. It's a huge racket.

Then apply that to the nonprofits across the entire economy. It's a huge racket.
I was talking about bowls but as a lawyer yeah 501-c-3 reform across the board wouldn’t bother me.

I also have no problem with individuals who donate to 501-c-3 that do good work as tax writeoffs instead of paying taxes. As long as the 501-c-3 is doing good work.

OK, that's fair, but when they don't have enough bowl-eligible teams to qualify without choosing teams with 6-6 or even 5-7 records, that's too many bowls. They are supposed to represent a reward for a "successful" season, right?

Never understood people getting all ticked off about all the bowl games. It’s one more game , chance to see your team play once more and as you mentioned, for non P5 teams it’s often a reward for a pretty good season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom