ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Why would the XII (or the ACC) want to become a hybrid conference?
The commissioner of the B12 has said he wants to be the number 1 basketball conference. They are in contact with those schools so I think they are going for it. I believe Gonzaga is already in.

If ESPN allows those 4 schools to go the Big12, then the ACC is dead in the water.
Can I ask why you think this?

ESPN took pains to ensure the ACC schools would still make more than B12 schools when the new contract with the B12 was worked out. Remember, the B12 still has no network and the ACC does.

I think adding those 4 schools is not going to increase the revenues for the B12 schools.

It does however position them in a stronger position than the P12 and i suspect that is the goal. It looks like we are headed from 5 major conferences to 4 and adding the corner schools makes it far more likely the 4th conference to survive is the B12 (and not the P12).

If you wrote ‘then the P12 is dead in the water’, I would agree with you. I don’t see this impacting the ACC pretty much at all.

Can I ask why you think this?

ESPN took pains to ensure the ACC schools would still make more than B12 schools when the new contract with the B12 was worked out. Remember, the B12 still has no network and the ACC does.

I think adding those 4 schools is not going to increase the revenues for the B12 schools.

It does however position them in a stronger position than the P12 and i suspect that is the goal. It looks like we are headed from 5 major conferences to 4 and adding the corner schools makes it far more likely the 4th conference to survive is the B12 (and not the P12).

If you wrote ‘then the P12 is dead in the water’, I would agree with you. I don’t see this impacting the ACC pretty much at all.
If Yormark can get all those brands into the Big!2, they clearly would be the top basketball conference, with the SEC and the B1G being 2 and 3, That puts the ACC at number 4. Big 12 football is also pretty much equal or better than the ACC. Revenue follows ratings.

If Yormark can get all those brands into the Big!2, they clearly would be the top basketball conference, with the SEC and the B1G being 2 and 3, That puts the ACC at number 4. Big 12 football is also pretty much equal or better than the ACC. Revenue follows ratings.
How is B12 FB anywhere near the ACC?

When you have 20+ teams you don’t have the big matchups twice a year in BBall.

No one watches the B12 or P12. Adding them together doesn’t change things.

How is B12 FB anywhere near the ACC?

When you have 20+ teams you don’t have the big matchups twice a year in BBall.

No one watches the B12 or P12. Adding them together doesn’t change things.
I'm not proposing it, the commissioner of the Big12 is. Maybe they will play less OOC games in basketball.

Basketball is pretty meaningless as far as conference revenue goes.

The ACC has two major football powers that have won NCs in the last decade

The B12 has no flagships. This is a huge problem for them.

The contracts have been signed. B12 is number 4.

The B12 is fighting with the P12 for 4th place. The ACC.clinched 3rd when the B12 lost Texas and Oklahoma.

There is literally dozens of articles about this. That would be pretty terrible negotiating if they said hey ESPN, we want 4 look ins during the contract to see if we deserve more money. Okay ACC, your first look in wont count because we are already giving you the ACC network. Why would they even place that specific ”look-in” in the contract?

Unless you know something from someone at Syracuse and not one single person has every reported on this in the past 7 years. You are wrong. It is well documented on this board and in articles of what was negotiated. The first look in was not the ACC Network. The ACC network was announced 5 years before the first ”look-in” and the “look-in” was negotiated as part of the new contract to extend the contract and sign a GOR until 2036. The timelines are well documented.
im gonna agree to disagree

The B12 is fighting with the P12 for 4th place. The ACC.clinched 3rd when the B12 lost Texas and Oklahoma.
The Big 12 will probably have 2 more contracts before the ACC gets a chance to get a better deal.

The Big 12 will probably have 2 more contracts before the ACC gets a chance to get a better deal.
Unlikely. The new deal recently announced starts in 2025 and goes for six years. The one that replaced that one is likely going to also go for about 6 years. So it will expire in or after the ACC deal.

I expect the new B12 deal will again get slotted behind the ACC. Hard to know for certain what will happen 6 or 7 years from now but I am confident that deal will certainly not kill the ACC.

Since this conference realignment crap started again last year, I’ve said that the ACC should try to open a west coast flank with Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. You could also add a few Texas schools like Houston, TCU, Texas Tech and/or Baylor and even Kansas. That would give them national inventory for the ACC Network and position them firmly as the 3rd best conference.

Since this conference realignment crap started again last year, I’ve said that the ACC should try to open a west coast flank with Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. You could also add a few Texas schools like Houston, TCU, Texas Tech and/or Baylor and even Kansas. That would give them national inventory for the ACC Network and position them firmly as the 3rd best conference.

The B12 schools aren't going to pay the expensive buyout to go to the ACC for a fistful of dollars. Even so, Texas Tech doesn't add enough value and to a lessor extent Baylor doesn't add enough. TCU, Houston, Kansas would be fine.

Cal just dilutes the money payout. To a lessor extent Arizona does as well. Also Washington, Oregon, Stanford have their eyes on the B1G. They are better off staying in the P12 to see how things play out. Yes, that means less money short term but closing the door for 10 years on a possible B1G move is more expensive.

For the potential "get left behind" ACC schools, why would they want to add schools that are so far away? At that point wouldn't you want to be more regional and less national? Adding these schools does not offer any stability past the GOR. So if they add no stability, why add them at all?

I agree that adding a bunch of these schools is better for the ACC, but the other schools need to also want to come. There needs to be mutual interest.

Yup, dip into Texas with 2 teams and add enough to make 4 pods of 7. 2 pods from each coast.

The acc will for the remainder of my life be in a solid third spot. SU is lucky

He was present for the first look in, 2021. It doesn’t appear that anything happened during that look in. Honestly, because of that I don’t expect anything to happen during any of the look ins until we get closer to the contract ending.
Without really knowing what-all is involved in the look ins, the 2021 one was done during the Covid period. Activities involving onsite visits could have been impacted and each side could probably make a case that certain numbers during the evaluation period were biased either high or low because of pandemic issues (not to mention needing to project forward without knowing when it would end).

As a result, I could see a compromise being reached to not change very much.

Unlikely. The new deal recently announced starts in 2025 and goes for six years. The one that replaced that one is likely going to also go for about 6 years. So it will expire in or after the ACC deal.

I expect the new B12 deal will again get slotted behind the ACC. Hard to know for certain what will happen 6 or 7 years from now but I am confident that deal will certainly not kill the ACC.
Cous cuse totally overrates the former Big East schools. There is a reason we left.

I think the Big East teams are better off staying vs going to the Big Franken 12. How does a small money bump offset the added travel and loss of Northeastern identity?

I get that UConn wants more games (rumor is B12 would give them 4), but why not try to create a Northeastern FB only conference? Army, UConn, and UMass are all Indy in FB and have homes in BBall.

The new AAC stinks. So wouldn't Navy be open to a Northeastern conference and have more flexibility OOC? They currently have ZERO open slots between the 9 AAC games, Army, Air Force, and Notre Dame. Temple sticks out like a sore thumb in the AAC. Wouldn't they prefer if possible to go back to the A10 in BBall and play in the new conference?

That gives you 5 teams and you need one more. The best option IMO would be James Madison. If they can go back to the Colonial in BBall, wouldn't they prefer the Northeastern FB over the Sunbelt? Another option would be Marshall, who would have to find a home for BBall.

If you are UConn do you not kick the tire for the above before even thinking of the B12?

I think the Big East teams are better off staying vs going to the Big Franken 12. How does a small money bump offset the added travel and loss of Northeastern identity?

I get that UConn wants more games (rumor is B12 would give them 4), but why not try to create a Northeastern FB only conference? Army, UConn, and UMass are all Indy in FB and have homes in BBall.

The new AAC stinks. So wouldn't Navy be open to a Northeastern conference and have more flexibility OOC? They currently have ZERO open slots between the 9 AAC games, Army, Air Force, and Notre Dame. Temple sticks out like a sore thumb in the AAC. Wouldn't they prefer if possible to go back to the A10 in BBall and play in the new conference?

That gives you 5 teams and you need one more. The best option IMO would be James Madison. If they can go back to the Colonial in BBall, wouldn't they prefer the Northeastern FB over the Sunbelt? Another option would be Marshall, who would have to find a home for BBall.

If you are UConn do you not kick the tire for the above before even thinking of the B12?
nobody is paying anything for the northeast conference you suggest

nobody is paying anything for the northeast conference you suggest
And nobody is paying for those schools as Indies or in their current conferences.

There is an advantage having 7 OOC games. They can all schedule 3-4 P5 OOC games. Those add value vs inter conference crap.

Army, UConn, UMass, Navy, JMU (or Marshall) would all be better off net financially. Temple would be pretty close.

The options available for all these schools suck. Coming together for a FB only conference would be the best option sadly.

The Colonial won't take JMU back, too many hurt feelings, as typified by not letting them be the conference's AQ in basketball regardless of how the season turned out. They will be in the East Division of the Sun Belt with App State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Marshall, and Old Dominion. The longest bus trip would be to Georgia Southern, 8 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom