ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 164 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

there are ways to help the olympic sports, make tournaments at a school for a weekend

ND and Stanford have no future games currently scheduled after2024.
Stanford is ripe for the picking. You could really screw them. They don’t have a leg to stand on and they are desperate for future games.

There are no winners here. I’m not typically a fatalist, but IMO this whole college sports endeavor goes south for everyone. And by everyone, I include the fans of teams like Alabama and Michigan and OSU. They’re going to kill the sport and end in a giant circle jerk around a pot of gold. Idiots.
I don’t believe this is true re Alabama, Michigan, etc. To me, this is like NASCAR. A regional sport that only certain people care about. Syracuse football has never existed to the people down south for example and it never will exist. They don’t really care and the coastal elites don’t care much about college football the way these fans do either. Once the BCs and the SUs aren’t a part of first tier college football anymore, there will be far fewer reasons for any of those coastals to pay attention even a little bit. So, those chosen few schools will continue to play football in a NASCAR like manner with crazy fans and great matchups but most of the rest of the country won’t give a hoot, but neither will they. As long as ‘Bama plays Auburn every year, all is well in the world.

Other than being located in the 5th 6th 10th and 30th largest markets i would agree with you
Those markets bring no value to east coast teams, those teams suck, the markets are pro sports towns. there are no options for expansion for the ACC that bring additional revenue. Even if the additional revenue is equal to what the ACC has it doesn’t make sense due to increased travel costs. The best move at this point is no move.

Those markets bring no value to east coast teams, those teams suck, the markets are pro sports towns. there are no options for expansion for the ACC that bring additional revenue. Even if the additional revenue is equal to what the ACC has it doesn’t make sense due to increased travel costs. The best move at this point is no move.
reading must not be your thing as it was mentioned several times in this thread that in just accn distribution costs those markets bring in additional money as in state acc distributions are more costly than out of state

Thanks that’s really helpful.
Backing up one step to the mechanics of dissolution, there is a Va Tech site which contains the 2020-21 "ACC Manual", which in turn contains the ACC By Laws. I have no reason to doubt its authenticity.
The By Laws have no supermajority requirement for a Board vote on dissolution, so one could argue a simple majority would suffice under NC law. There is, however, a hard 2/3 supermajority required to "amend "any major media rights deal, and I think a strong argument could be made that an FSU led dissolution vote is just that. Another would be that the dissolution vote itself is improper because its primary purpose is to breach a lawful contract.
You don't have to agree with my analysis but any conference looking to bring in FSU or another defector has to recognize there is serious litigation risk. First as to the legality of dissolution and then as to whether the GOR survives dissolution. And as far as FSU persuading 6 or 9 others the question is for what when the latest BiG and Big12 payouts are less than the ACC's.

you asked about who said what where in post #4044
Yes, that's the reason I made that post. I also explained the video elsewhere to a different poster that you thought you were explaining to me. Reading the posts here on the sports side feels like an Abbot and Costello routine; nobody knows what's going, not with the topic at hand or even responding to each other. I guess the high quality of the OT has spoiled me.

reading must not be your thing as it was mentioned several times in this thread that in just accn distribution costs those markets bring in additional money as in state acc distributions are more costly than out of state

Thank you for pointing out my illiteracy, however I can read just fine. I see your point on the ACCN distribution fees however in aggregate would it be more between ACCN distribution fees and the total per team payout. Unless the acc contract says that ESPN will pay the additional teams the same as everyone else, I don’t see how this works.

This is starting to feel like it’s more than the B10 and SEC taking over college football. It feels like the B10 is accepting that they aren’t the best football conference and are trying a new play instead. Just own everything.

There’s been very little talk of the B10 and Florida. After absorbing the entire west coast, they must have their eyes on Florida? Once the ACC gets loosened up, let’s say UNC and Virginia join the B10. Would it be crazy to think the B10 approaches U of F to join, with say Georgia Tech as a partner? Make more money and be with like-minded institutions. Then FSU can slide into the SEC, which would be a more natural fit for them.

”GOR, blah blah blah.” Talking future here—these are blips in time. I’m surprised people are still talking about GOR when half of the PAC is now in the B10. The ACC will fall, it’s just a matter of time.

Backing up one step to the mechanics of dissolution, there is a Va Tech site which contains the 2020-21 "ACC Manual", which in turn contains the ACC By Laws. I have no reason to doubt its authenticity.
The By Laws have no supermajority requirement for a Board vote on dissolution, so one could argue a simple majority would suffice under NC law. There is, however, a hard 2/3 supermajority required to "amend "any major media rights deal, and I think a strong argument could be made that an FSU led dissolution vote is just that. Another would be that the dissolution vote itself is improper because its primary purpose is to breach a lawful contract.
You don't have to agree with my analysis but any conference looking to bring in FSU or another defector has to recognize there is serious litigation risk. First as to the legality of dissolution and then as to whether the GOR survives dissolution. And as far as FSU persuading 6 or 9 others the question is for what when the latest BiG and Big12 payouts are less than the ACC's.
That’s where I was going with it in that if the bylaws are silent then the NC law takes over. But if the individual school media rights stay with ESPN regardless of dissolution then it’s all a moot point anyway.

Again I’m not a legal expert so you guys would know better than me but just a few things I stumbled on while scouring the web that I thought were intriguing.

Yes, that's the reason I made that post. I also explained the video elsewhere to a different poster that you thought you were explaining to me. Reading the posts here on the sports side feels like an Abbot and Costello routine; nobody knows what's going, not with the topic at hand or even responding to each other. I guess the high quality of the OT has spoiled me.
it happens when there is a thread with so many pages as you are catching up, you reply

This is starting to feel like it’s more than the B10 and SEC taking over college football. It feels like the B10 is accepting that they aren’t the best football conference and are trying a new play instead. Just own everything.

There’s been very little talk of the B10 and Florida. After absorbing the entire west coast, they must have their eyes on Florida? Once the ACC gets loosened up, let’s say UNC and Virginia join the B10. Would it be crazy to think the B10 approaches U of F to join, with say Georgia Tech as a partner? Make more money and be with like-minded institutions. Then FSU can slide into the SEC, which would be a more natural fit for them.

”GOR, blah blah blah.” Talking future here—these are blips in time. I’m surprised people are still talking about GOR when half of the PAC is now in the B10. The ACC will fall, it’s just a matter of time.
If the Big Ten expands down the East Coast, I can see Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Miami

If you then combine Notre Dame and Stanford, you will have a 24 team conference that can be broken down regionally into 4 x 6 divisions. The 4 division winners would compete in a final four with the Big Ten championship game being played at the Rose Bowl.

The Big 12 will absorb the teams that the SEC and B1G don't take except for Wake and BC.
True but Big 12 may still get edged out.

CBS Chip Patterson yesterday on podcast interestingly said reason why Yormark is going after Gonzaga and UConn for two reasons. One is to make the conference a monster in hoops. Two is that if the Big 10 and SEC think about breaking away in all sports, their March Madness wouldn't be legit without the top schools. Thus, they would need to include the Big 12 in the breakaway or just not breakaway.

Yormark wants to get UConn. Yormark is a New York guy too. UConn is too far away from the rest of the Big 12. Syracuse could be a bridge to UConn and both would help capture NYC.

So it sounds like we really to put together two strong years in both football and hoops and keep our names on the tip of everyone's tongue when talking future of the ACC and /or where the other 3 conferences should expand.
Bowl game, ideally 8-9 win year this year plus ideally Sweet 16 or Elite 8 hoops year, and maybe another deep run from the soccer program should continue to build value

We need our marketing teams and alums to really work on building brand outside Nike

We need to get eyeballs on our games and merch moving

I don’t believe this is true re Alabama, Michigan, etc. To me, this is like NASCAR. A regional sport that only certain people care about. Syracuse football has never existed to the people down south for example and it never will exist. They don’t really care and the coastal elites don’t care much about college football the way these fans do either. Once the BCs and the SUs aren’t a part of first tier college football anymore, there will be far fewer reasons for any of those coastals to pay attention even a little bit. So, those chosen few schools will continue to play football in a NASCAR like manner with crazy fans and great matchups but most of the rest of the country won’t give a hoot, but neither will they. As long as ‘Bama plays Auburn every year, all is well in the world.

How is SU 6th in the ACC for viewership?

Bowl game, ideally 8-9 win year this year plus ideally Sweet 16 or Elite 8 hoops year, and maybe another deep run from the soccer program should continue to build value

We need our marketing teams and alums to really work on building brand outside Nike

We need to get eyeballs on our games and merch moving

This most certainly would bump viewership and attendance numbers up a good bit too.

And that’s not cherry picked info, in the sense it’s not one good/best year out of 10. That’s over a stretch with some rough seasons.
Actually the more I think about it FSU really skewed the data in their favor by not including ACC Network numbers.
Since FSU was on national tv more than most in the league and therefore on ACCN less they tilted the numbers in their favor.
I think it’s prob still an accurate reflection on where we are in the rankings

there are ways to help the olympic sports, make tournaments at a school for a weekend

Yeah we could make a whole convoluted system to assist 95% of the student athletes OR we could just not change conferences to schools 2-3 time zones away to chase money equivalent to 0.4% of these universities’ annual budgets.

This is really dumb. Keep in mind we may be stuck having to do the same thing traveling coast to coast for a lot less money with the leftovers.

On the subject of Mandel, anyone who has an Athletic subscription should read his article documenting the years of stupidity that blew up the PAC 12. One I didn’t know about was that while Yormark went out and hired two big marketing firms to work on their new TV deal, George K went out and hired some little boutique marketing firm to handle the PAC 12 deal. Oh, that little firm just so happened to be run by GKs old buddy from UVA Law School. Arrogant idiot has the fate of a 100 year old conference in his hands and decides to give his buddy a shot at it. Unreal

Right, but we must out maneuver the Big 12. We have refused to try that.
Unfortunately the Big 12 grabbed our most likely backfill candidates. (WVU, Cincy, UCF)
All that is left is Yukon and USF

One hope is TV money is so tight in 2029 that the ACC contract looks pretty good to Big12 teams and we can get a few back tired of 3-4 hour flights .

On the subject of Mandel, anyone who has an Athletic subscription should read his article documenting the years of stupidity that blew up the PAC 12. One I didn’t know about was that while Yormark went out and hired two big marketing firms to work on their new TV deal, George K went out and hired some little boutique marketing firm to handle the PAC 12 deal. Oh, that little firm just so happened to be run by GKs old buddy from UVA Law School. Arrogant idiot has the fate of a 100 year old conference in his hands and decides to give his buddy a shot at it. Unreal
That is so Big East with a dash of ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom