ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 221 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Reports say the ACC had been in talks with numerous schools for awhile. Not sure why the narrative the ACC just sat on its hands keeps getting thrown around. If you add let’s say 4-6 schools who add less value than the average of the current conference. You’re diluting the conference payout per school. There’s already schools complaining they aren’t getting enough $$$.
I don’t know why either and it frustrates me that anyone thinks that any of the 6 PAC 12 schools would have picked the ACC. Colorado wanted the Big 12 badly, Oregon and UW wanted the Big 10 badly and the other 3 didn’t want to leave the Pac 12 at all and when they had to, the Big 12 was the better option for them based on proximity etc.

Add UNM as school #4 to get the ACC into the coveted Albuquerque market.

What about NMS?

crop

I don’t know why either and it frustrates me that anyone thinks that any of the 6 PAC 12 schools would have picked the ACC. Colorado wanted the Big 12 badly, Oregon and UW wanted the Big 10 badly and the other 3 didn’t want to leave the Pac 12 at all and when they had to, the Big 12 was the better option for them based on proximity etc.

Because they just drop in a thread without doing any of the prerequisite reading. Or like some of our posters who do post each page, they prefer their own interpretation even when new facts are reported.

A couple things I think:

I think Stanford / Cal or Stanford / SMU gets done soon. I think the ACC needs to play some chess here….the goal is to really be the best 3rd conference.

Big12 was brilliant getting the last big contract by sitting at the table before PAC. But it’s going to flip on them by having to renegotiate before the ACC.

The ACC needs to stay together long enough for that contract to come back up and their grant of rights to expire. Big12 could be looking at a reduction of revenue.

Then the ACC can poach the BiG12….and use that pro rata clause to offer more money to a couple of big 12 schools and essentially win the match. We may still lose FSU clemson Etc….but there will be in position to be a clear cut #3.
In 2029-2030, Ideally, the ACC raids the Big 12 for some combo of WVU, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, TCU or Texas Tech, Arizona, ASU, Utah. Could also add USF if FSU tries to bolt. I also like UConn for our basketball rivalry.

And the hope of some that they could keep the PAC together died when they couldn't get a competitive TV deal.

That’s what I’ve been saying for the past few months. The ACC is already well behind the Big 10 and SEC. That’s a lost cause unless Notre Dame does a 180 and decides to join the ACC. The goal now is to outflank the Big 12 as the third best conference. That should have been the plan once USC and UCLA announced their departure and then when there was heat from the Big 12 about adding the Four Corner schools. I wanted Washington, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Stanford and Utah as a bare minimum west coast flank. The ACC should have been putting the full court press on those schools last winter and spring and pitching them on why the ACC was the best option (over the Big 12), especially being able to add west coast/later night content to the ACC network.
So depressing that it's come to this. Conferences scheming against each other, history and traditions disrupted.

may be big news Friday as Stanford is ok with the SMU plan
Hopefully at least one of the disgruntled 4 can be persuaded to change their No vote. Or should I say 3, as FSU wants to destroy the ACC and won’t change their vote

A couple things I think:

I think Stanford / Cal or Stanford / SMU gets done soon. I think the ACC needs to play some chess here….the goal is to really be the best 3rd conference.

Big12 was brilliant getting the last big contract by sitting at the table before PAC. But it’s going to flip on them by having to renegotiate before the ACC.

The ACC needs to stay together long enough for that contract to come back up and their grant of rights to expire. Big12 could be looking at a reduction of revenue.

Then the ACC can poach the BiG12….and use that pro rata clause to offer more money to a couple of big 12 schools and essentially win the match. We may still lose FSU clemson Etc….but there will be in position to be a clear cut #3.
Don't think any Big 12 schools will be walking down the path to the ACC knowing the same path will have traffic going the other way several years later.

Don't think any Big 12 schools will be walking down the path to the ACC knowing the same path will have traffic going the other way several years later.
The ACC instability has largely been conjecture - a grand total of 1 school has left: Maryland. Meanwhile the Big 12 has lost the only schools that matter: Oklahoma and Texas. Not to mention Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri. In spite of what some weirdos on the West Virginia message boards say, ACC schools aren't clamoring to go to the Big 12.

Maybe its me and my old school bygone days mentality, but how are the logistics gonna work for Stanford in Palo Alto, & Cal in Berkeley?
It just seems so unwieldy at this point, and unless there's some ND extra-game incentive, or a kick-in extra bucks from our ESPN overlords, I just don't see the sense in it. To expand just for expansion sake? Just seems kinda pointless.
I know patience is a dirty word when it comes to CR, but why not wait it out a bit more, instead of adding more mouths? JMHO
Sadly, I look at it as transitory adds until sanity returns. Basketball is going to need to work with ESPN to allow two game road trips over say a Sunday and Tuesday for some teams.

It should be a given that some Olympic Sports should have some flexibility in uneven amount of league games and maybe 2 day mini tournaments involving 3 or 4 teams at one location to reduce travel.

Obviously the biggest travel impacts are on the California schools. SMU is lesser so but still a factor.

What about NMS?

crop
If we go full G5...sure.

I've been to Las Cruces and NM St...it is a G5 school for a reason and that is ok. (Size of fanbase and remoteness)

The ACC instability has largely been conjecture - a grand total of 1 school has left: Maryland. Meanwhile the Big 12 has lost the only schools that matter: Oklahoma and Texas. Not to mention Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri. In spite of what some weirdos on the West Virginia message boards say, ACC schools aren't clamoring to go to the Big 12.
FSU says hold my beer

Those insecure idiots have been drama queens for decades.

In 2029-2030, Ideally, the ACC raids the Big 12 for some combo of WVU, Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, TCU or Texas Tech, Arizona, ASU, Utah. Could also add USF if FSU tries to bolt. I also like UConn for our basketball rivalry.
Or maybe around Star date 2031 a loose confederation of planets form. ESPN and Fox get together and bring sanity back to the ACC, Big 12 and PAC whatever.

Nah...sounds like science fiction to me.

True but cracks are starting the same way in the ACC as the Big 12 and Pac. Those conferences top brands complained about others conferences making more as well as having to carry the conference. It is laughable that FSU is saying this when, except for last year, they were a middling team for years. FSU parallel is Texas and USC, and they left with the more successful OU and Oregon (Clemson parallel) going with.

True but cracks are starting the same way in the ACC as the Big 12 and Pac. Those conferences top brands complained about others conferences making more as well as having to carry the conference. It is laughable that FSU is saying this when, except for last year, they were a middling team for years. FSU parallel is Texas and USC, and they left with the more successful OU and Oregon (Clemson parallel) going with.

It is about timing. FSU cannot go anywhere before the B12 GOR expires. If teams are making $25M in the B12 and could make $35M in the ACC, why stay in the B12 even knowing FSU will eventually leave? The same thing just happened to the P12. Texas and Oklahoma were leaving, schools came.

Also for ESPN isn't FSU more valuable in the ACC than the SEC? In one conference they are making lesser programs more interesting. In the other they are just one of the same.

For example, now you have FSU vs SU (will do well in the Northeast) and Ole Miss vs Arkansas. If FSU moves to the SEC you get FSU vs Ole Miss instead of Ole Miss vs Arkansas. Is that really going to be a big difference? And on the other side you get GA Tech vs SU instead of FSU vs SU, which is a pretty big difference. On top of that ESPN would be paying FSU $30M instead of $60M.

The B18 is a different story as they are lacking the brands.

That’s what I’ve been saying for the past few months. The ACC is already well behind the Big 10 and SEC. That’s a lost cause unless Notre Dame does a 180 and decides to join the ACC. The goal now is to outflank the Big 12 as the third best conference. That should have been the plan once USC and UCLA announced their departure and then when there was heat from the Big 12 about adding the Four Corner schools. I wanted Washington, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Stanford and Utah as a bare minimum west coast flank. The ACC should have been putting the full court press on those schools last winter and spring and pitching them on why the ACC was the best option (over the Big 12), especially being able to add west coast/later night content to the ACC network.
I think they were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom