ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 222 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If Stanford and SMU agree to join and get no money for say 5 years, that is close to $6 million more per year for existing ACC members. Some of that would go to cover additional travel costs but I am guessing each school would get around $4 million in extra revenue per year.

If Cal gets say $30 million, each ACC gets another $1 million per year.

Seems reasonable this would be a $5 million bump in revenue for current ACC members. Probably less for the leperchauns.

I think Stanford agreeing to no pay for the first few years might have made this too attractive to the holdouts to continue to say no.

Let's say they take the three. For the first 5 years Stanford and SMU forego all TV revenue and Cal gets a 50% share of $40M ($20M). ESPN gives the league the current approximate $40M add-on per new team to distribute among members. If divided equally, over 5 years that equates to about an additional $30M per existing member. Even factoring additional travel costs - that's a nice chunk of change. But math's not my strong suit.

If Stanford and SMU agree to join and get no money for say 5 years, that is close to $6 million more per year for existing ACC members. Some of that would go to cover additional travel costs but I am guessing each school would get around $4 million in extra revenue per year.

Seems reasonable this would be a $5 million bump in revenue for current ACC members. Probably less for the leperchauns.

I think Stanford agreeing to no pay for the first few years might have made this too attractive to the holdouts to continue to say no.
Great minds

Money aside I think it is great to add to amazing academic institutions. Two schools with a rich history of success in what really matters. One of my best memories was being a little boy with my dad watching UCLA come to Syracuse. It was pure magic one I will never forget. Same the first time I saw Navy play. Watching the midshipmen in their navy blues and of course those early Penn State games. For me seeing Stanford and Cal come to town or taking a road trip to them is going to be special. I realize that money is the key, but I just think that if you can add two great institutions like Cal and Stanford, you should do it. Hope it happens.

And the hope of some that they could keep the PAC together died when they couldn't get a competitive TV deal.
The PAC 12 had a chance at a competitive TV deal with ESPN and other outlets last winter, but one unnamed university President and one of his minions (who thought they knew better) cannonballed it. Read this LA Times report that details all the mistakes.

Don't think any Big 12 schools will be walking down the path to the ACC knowing the same path will have traffic going the other way several years later.
What are the great programs/brands that make the Big 12 so desirable over the ACC? Texas and Oklahoma leave after this coming season, and those were the golden gooses.

Last edited:
As long as the new funds are load balanced among all members I am good. Absolutely cannot provide FSU, UNC or Clemson anything additional above the other members. They are leaving no matter what. Paying them anything extra would have zero returns.

Money. Market. Academics. Bridgehead to NorCal.

What about good sports programs ? That actually make the conference attractive and valuable.

Academics… the TV money will be beating down the door for that one…that’s funny.

What about good sports programs ? That actually make the conference attractive and valuable.

Academics… the TV money will be beating down the door for that one…that’s funny.
These are University Presidents and thus “Academics“ are important to them or should be.

SEC is, by far, the most talented conference. As I noted, they could be HQ'd in Barbados for all that matters.

Big East was in Providence and how did that conference end up taking on the new world order? Not well.

No MSG for bball, no aggressive national expansion, continuing to allow power to be concentrated in NC with a number of those teams trying to break the ACC.

The HQ is unimportant if it's in a vacuum and everything else is totally fine. B1G is in Chicago. Big XII is in Irving within the DFW area that will be third largest metro area within the decade.

So congrats to the SEC, they do get to be wherever they want. The ACC does not.

Other than paying significantly more to lease office space, how would moving the ACC office to NYC change anything we are talking about here? If a NYC presence is so important, why didn't the AAC move there instead of Irving, Texas? If the location of a league's headquarters is important (which I do not think it is), the ACC should move to Bristol, CT.

Oh, and NYC is no longer the center of sports broadcasting:

ABC/ESPN - Bristol, CT
CBS Sports - NYC
Fox Sports - LA
NBC Sports - Stamford, CT

Of course, Larry Scott moved the Pac headquarters from the suburban Bay Area to San Fran for appearances and it worked out well for that conference.

Yeah, I had a feeling you weren't actually interested in the answers.

These are University Presidents and thus “Academics“ are important to them or should be.

The university president’s can watch their conference die then.

Yeah, I had a feeling you weren't actually interested in the answers.

Oh I’m interested I just don’t think they’re very good.

SMU having money does nothing for anyone except SMU.

The Dallas market while nice is not interested in a UVA or BC SMU matchup.

The academics? How are they going to hold the ACC together and get the TV contract to 50mil? They’re not.

The academics? How are they going to hold the ACC together and get the TV contract to 50mil? They’re not.
You clearly are only interested in Sports and not the mission of the universities.

The ACC instability has largely been conjecture - a grand total of 1 school has left: Maryland. Meanwhile the Big 12 has lost the only schools that matter: Oklahoma and Texas. Not to mention Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri. In spite of what some weirdos on the West Virginia message boards say, ACC schools aren't clamoring to go to the Big 12.
You can thank the likes of FSU and some morons in the media who don’t do their homework and think a team can just simply leave the ACC. Even though that will cost a school $500-$600 million.

ND might possibly agree to the 6th ACC game if it can be Stanford. Stanford is not on the ND schedule after the 2024 season but there is room on the ND schedule to put Stanford.
6th ND game makes sense but ND would potentially devalue their new NBC contract a bit so maybe they get a few extra shekels

It's a good time to add these teams on the cheap. Cal and Stanford may be down, but they have the clout to do well especially if they are aligned with the ACC. Same with SMU. They are in my opinion a sleeping giant. Another potential Utah. As to not caring about the academics would you rather have Stanford or West Virginia? Cal or Rutgers? SMU or Cincinatti?

They could buy a team really fast. Basically what TCU did.

And their mission really isn't that different than the private - semi private nature of most of the ACC schools. Its another school filling up with east coast kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom