ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 326 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Live feed of Oregon State and Washington State…

1700066413902.gif

Judge Gary Libey deserves a gold star here. I think this means the Beavs and Cougs get all the CFP playoff money if Oregon or Washington get in. Absolutely perfect.
They could use the big bucks to strike a SMU+ deal with the ACC.

It will be interesting to see if the future playoff format is changed. Having the 4 best champs as seeds 1-4 is not ideal, and neither is having the 6 best champs as auto bids.

SEC has 8 of current Top 25
B18 has 6
B12 has 5
ACC has 3
G5 has 2

So those P4 conference champs will be worthy. Top 4 seeds though? The B12 highest is ranked 17 right now. The G5s getting an auto bid? What if Tulane loses in the AAC CG and Oregon State loses in whatever conference they are in. Then you have 2 non Top 25 teams in the playoff.
Well, just look to the NFL. Regardless of record, division champs get to host a playoff game, even if they have a mediocre record.

I'd be fine with having the 4 conference champs be seeds 1-4. Want to be a top 4 seed? Win your conference. If you don't, deal with it.

Well, just look to the NFL. Regardless of record, division champs get to host a playoff game, even if they have a mediocre record.

I'd be fine with having the 4 conference champs be seeds 1-4. Want to be a top 4 seed? Win your conference. If you don't, deal with it.

NFL everyone is in a 4 team division and there are only 16 teams in the entire league. A bad division champ in most years will be better than the 8th best team.

The 4th best conference champ might not even be Top 20.

NFL everyone is in a 4 team division and there are only 16 teams in the entire league. A bad division champ in most years will be better than the 8th best team.

Yeah, NFL to NCAA is an apple to oranges comparison.

My point stands Want to be a top 4 seed? Win your conference.

Rankings are subjective, suffer from recency bias, and schedules can be rigged such that one league's teams can maintain higher rankings. Upsets do happen, which is why the NCAA basketball tournament is so great. Not sure why people are so against something similar happening in football.

The secondary issue, of course, is that I (yes, it is all about me) am not at all interested in watching a bunch of 2 or 3 loss SEC/B1G also rans play for the the NC. Taking away autobids and having an expanded playoff devalues the regular season.

Rankings are subjective, suffer from recency bias, and schedules can be rigged such that one league's teams can maintain higher rankings. Upsets do happen, which is why the NCAA basketball tournament is so great. Not sure why people are so against something similar happening in football.

The secondary issue, of course, is that I (yes, it is all about me) am not at all interested in watching a bunch of 2 or 3 loss SEC/B1G also rans play for the the NC. Taking away autobids and having an expanded playoff devalues the regular season.
Does the NCAAT require a 1-4 seed to be a conference champ?

It usually works out that the 4 top seeds are the regular season champs of their conference.

Are you talking basketball or football? Either way that is not true.

You can't look back and have Oklahoma, Texas, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington in the Top 4 and say see it works, those conferences are represented. The teams will all be gone from their current conferences. The PAC is gone and the B12 Champ isn't likely to be Top 4. Even the ACC if the Top regular season team loses, the Champ is not Top 4.

Heck just last year the Top 4 conference champs were ranked 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8th.

1. UGA vs (8. K State vs 9. Penn State)
2. Michigan vs (7. Bama vs 10. USC)
3. Clemson vs (6. TCU vs 11. Tennessee)
4. Utah vs (5. Ohio State vs 12. Tulane)

The 5 seed (best non champ) some years will have the easiest path to the Final 4. They will end up playing the worst conference Champ (G5) and then the worst P4 Champ.

Using the current rankings and future conferences you get...

1. UGA vs (8. Oregon vs 9. Tulane)
2. Ohio State vs (7. Texas vs 10. James Madison)
3. FSU vs (6. Washington vs 11. Bama)
4. Arizona (17th) vs (5. Michigan vs 12. Missouri)

Does Michigan not have the best path?

The 5 seed (best non champ) some years will have the easiest path to the Final 4. They will end up playing the worst conference Champ (G5) and then the worst P4 Champ.

Using the current rankings and future conferences you get...

1. UGA vs (8. Oregon vs 9. Tulane)
2. Ohio State vs (7. Texas vs 10. James Madison)
3. FSU vs (6. Washington vs 11. Bama)
4. Arizona (17th) vs (5. Michigan vs 12. Missouri)

Does Michigan not have the best path?
I agree with the premise that #5 will get a nice path. However, it's tough to use this year's records to project next year's rankings.

The future B1G & SEC teams will have harder schedules and are less likely to be ranked as high. While I don't think the combined BigPac12 will be better than either current conference, if one or two schools dominate, they will get a high ranking.

I'd guess the top 6-8 most seasons will have:
2 or 3 SEC
2 or 3 B1G
ACC Champ
BigPac12 Champ

I agree with the premise that #5 will get a nice path. However, it's tough to use this year's records to project next year's rankings.

The future B1G & SEC teams will have harder schedules and are less likely to be ranked as high. While I don't think the combined BigPac12 will be better than either current conference, if one or two schools dominate, they will get a high ranking.

I'd guess the top 6-8 most seasons will have:
2 or 3 SEC
2 or 3 B1G
ACC Champ
BigPac12 Champ

The B126 will be exciting next season because there are no big programs and no bad programs. But that parity means the conference champ will have 2-3 conference Ls. That won't get you into the Top 10.

The B18 and SEC top teams will have 1-2 Ls (they don't play everyone) so they won't be hit too hard. It is the middle of those conferences that will suffer record wise IMO.

Whoever makes the playoffs?

I think the Semi-Final games are still in the bowl rotation.

But don't they also always get the Big 10/PAC game? Curious if it'll be Big 10 vs wildcard.

But don't they also always get the Big 10/PAC game? Curious if it'll be Big 10 vs wildcard.
The PAC and its contracts still exist and are controlled by OSU and WSU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom