ACC Refereeing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Refereeing

I dont think the refs are out to get us. But we are not getting many calls as well. I just think they are very inconsistent from one end of the court to the other. It always seems that if we just touch a player, it is a foul, meanwhile, Tre Jones mugs and feels up opposing players like they were freshmen coeds and gets labeled greatest on-ball defender in all the land. This reputation he received as a great defender is a joke and benefits him. No way could the guy all the pundits say is the best defender commit a foul, it had to be clean defense. Just like Jordan never traveled during his career. Same goes for Virginia and their pack line D. Their reputation helps them get the benefit of the doubt on close calls or no calls.

Oshae has taken 70 less free throws this year than last season, while only taking 100 less shots from the field. Imo, he has been just as aggressive, if not more due to his 3ball not being worthy this season. He gets hacked in nearly every drive, yet rarely goes to the line. The not getting calls has led to many swings in the opponent's favor. We should be at the line, instead the opponent is heading the other way with the ball and momentum.

Agree Oshae has been destroyed this year without getting to the line and Tyus as well. Tyus unfortunately stand with his hands up and should be getting back on D after not receiving a call. Oshae and Tyus have been mugged this year and the calls in the ACC have been suspicious to say the least.

We need to stop complaining about refs and just get better. These officials work games all over the country and all fans whine about officiating.

I don't get takes like this... We do ? Why do we need to stop complaining about the refs. This is a forum where we discuss different aspects of the game. The officiating is one aspect that certainly needs improvement and the calls tend to strongly favor UNC and Duke

Playing the tobacco road teams in the ACC is something to not look forward to.

It should be the opposite, but there's too big a body of evidence now that we will never get a fair shake against UNC or Dook.

I really don't like the basketball conference in general because of this.

It is what it is.

We'll always be undeserving yankee carpet baggers in this conference.

It could be worse.

We could be UCONN.

Playing the tobacco road teams in the ACC is something to not look forward to.

It should be the opposite, but there's too big a body of evidence now that we will never get a fair shake against UNC or Dook.

I really don't like the basketball conference in general because of this.

It is what it is.

We'll always be undeserving yankee carpet baggers in this conference.

It could be worse.

We could be UCONN.

Good point and that makes me feel better...At lease in the Big East we would get jobbed one game but then would have a game where we would get calls. That's not even a remote possibility in the ACC

We need to stop complaining about refs and just get better. These officials work games all over the country and all fans whine about officiating.

At the risk of sounding repetitive ...

tumblr_mljj2sxOXg1r4gei2o10_400.gif

Good point and that makes me feel better...At lease in the Big East we would get jobbed one game but then would have a game where we would get calls. That's not even a remote possibility in the ACC

The BE jobbing was more about a few refs that thought they were bigger than the game and really took a disliking to JAB and his whining and would punish him for it...

Namely Papparo, Higgins and Burr... absolutely terrible officials.

What we are seeing in the ACC with Dook and UNC is a systemic bias... quite a bit different.

I don’t like ripping the refs too much but the Zion rules were ridiculous last night.
He fouled constantly and never got called for them and he was screaming And 1 every time and getting calls.

We complain about refs too much though.

I don't bitch about the zebras. But there was an agenda in this game. Pascal and marek were taken completely out of the first half on touch fouls allowing Zion to go off against Sidibe. It wasn't in the Friday night Espn script to have Cuse play UNC with Zion healthy. And K kept the starters in to the final horn still jacking up threes. the ACC, we will never get a fair shake down there. Proud of our kids without tyus taking it to them.

Heard the 2nd half on the radio. Game tied at 47 and to quote Matt Park "that was the lamest foul I've seen". It was OB's third. He got 4 and 5 in another 5 minutes. He got targeted by refs to stem SU's momentum.

The officiating impacted the game whether you're wearing Orange colored glasses or not. Pascal and Marek got cheap calls that impacted what SU could do down low. There were multiple instances of guys driving to the paint, getting hammered and nothing being whistled. You have to play your best game against Duke and UNC. Can't leave it to officials to involve themselves.

Why would playing with "tempo and purpose" lead to a decrease in fouls called on defense?

Bayside got it. Seems to me that refs call fouls within the flow of the game. We stand around on both O and D a lot this year, and I think it lends to some of the borderline calls that go against us. Think about how Pitt used to play D back in the Big East hayday.

can't believe how the lousy anti SU bias ref calls this year blew our perfect season !

Without Bolden they took out our bigs to even it up. Paschal gets hosed on so many blocks. Marek puts himself in spots to get called for chippies. We were up and looking good until they both got 2. Then a few dunks and we looked dazed. It ruined our whole gameplan when they both got sent off early. Deep down we all knew that getting UNC/Duke III with Zion was going to happen unless we won comfortably. Our guys get hammered with no calls while touch fouls are called against us all game.

There is definitely something to this. Chukwu fouled out in 7 minutes for Christ's sake.

The officiating impacted the game whether you're wearing Orange colored glasses or not. Pascal and Marek got cheap calls that impacted what SU could do down low. There were multiple instances of guys driving to the paint, getting hammered and nothing being whistled. You have to play your best game against Duke and UNC. Can't leave it to officials to involve themselves.

Nobody should foul out in 7 minutes, certainly not a senior player. looking at the replays, I often wondered exactly what Paschal was being called for doing.

We play a style of basketball that leads to a lot of non aggressive (or as a wise man once said nickel dimers) fouls calls. Cheap stuff you learn as kids not to commit. UNC comes at you downhill and they get so many benefits from that style.

Plenty of games in the previous conference with Marquette, UL, etc pushing and slapping all game long. I almost get Zion being such a freak that refs don't know how to call him.

One of the points of playing zone is to protect your players from foul trouble. When the other team thinks that it can drive on you with impunity despite the zone, you know something is up. UNC and Duke are treated differently in conference. SU fans aren't the first to think that. It's really not to anyone's advantage to protect them.

One team allowed to constantly defend with two hands on players the other not allowed even the slightest bump. Seems like two different sets of rules. Consistency is all we want.
buddy committed 1 foul in 36 mins. (intentional one late.) why did he get a pass from the refs ? conspiracy ?

ok. oshae took as many foul shots as zion.even though he took less shots .13/9.

buddy committed 1 foul in 36 mins. (intentional one late.) why did he get a pass from the refs ? conspiracy ?

Buddy is slow afoot so he can't catch some other players to foul them. And when the D is set up and the rotation is good, he generally closes out shooters, staying straight up and not swatting at the ball.

blaming the refs is weak. same song after every loss. face facts. pc, marek and sid were vastly overmatched.

My issue with the officiating is 3 fold.

1. They love calling charges.
2. They call touch fouls underneath, but banging is allowed. Makes zero sense.
3. While calling touch fouls underneath they allow hand checking all over the perimeter which was supposedly supposed to be taken out of the game.

I'd like to hear from officials a reasoned response for everything above and that is not just Syracuse related. I see it every game.

Teams like VPI/DUKE/Virginia/Pitt and Louisville of years past are at an incredible advantage because of the allowance of handchecking.

That is literally the only way Tyus Jones plays defense.

There's a lot of truth in that. Teams that play better get the benefit of the officiating because it's the territoty that comes with playing better. They score more points, get more rebounds and turnovers, and yes fewer fouls because they're making a lot more good plays than weak ones. Duke won last night because they played better overall perimeter defense and interior offense. Specifically, our ball handlers could not exceed their on-ball defense, and in basketball that's a real problem.
7E606B4F-544F-46C4-9889-48178E943F01.gif

My issue with the officiating is 3 fold.

1. They love calling charges.
2. They call touch fouls underneath, but banging is allowed. Makes zero sense.
3. While calling touch fouls underneath they allow hand checking all over the perimeter which was supposedly supposed to be taken out of the game.

I'd like to hear from officials a reasoned response for everything above and that is not just Syracuse related. I see it every game.

Teams like VPI/DUKE/Virginia/Pitt and Louisville of years past are at an incredible advantage because of the allowance of handchecking.

That is literally the only way Tyus Jones plays defense.
Well said. I agree with all of this. The rulebook has several articles in place regarding illegal use of the hands. But as evidenced by even one ACC game, it is not enforced. The way in which the rules are interpreted or all together ignored, as you’ve cited above, is why fans have legitimate complaints.