ACC Refereeing | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Refereeing

All I can say to the denialists is that you're still not used to being in a conference with true basketball royalty, and not just one but two. It has a psychological effect on everyone involved in the game, including the refs. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy of any kind.

i don't blame the refs for losses. i don't believe there is an agenda against us. and when we lose we lose.
sorry i can't join the mob that believes every loss is somebody else's fault and blames the officiating.

Listen Tbone boy, I don't have a history of blaming the refs for losses. As a matter I dislike it a lot on the board. But last night from the pregame to the final whistle there was an agenda. If you don't like what I said that's fine. That's your opinion. But if you want to disagree with me, quote me. Sometimes I won't get back to you for a week but I'll respond. Don't beat around the bush.

Listen Tbone boy, I don't have a history of blaming the refs for losses. As a matter I dislike it a lot on the board. But last night from the pregame to the final whistle there was an agenda. If you don't like what I said that's fine. That's your opinion. But if you want to disagree with me, quote me. Sometimes I won't get back to you for a week but I'll respond. Don't beat around the bush.
put another nickel in the jukebox. seems like same song plays after every loss. poor us.

The original post if you go back and read it said the refs were brutal to us this year against UNC and Duke and I’m glad to be playing out of conference. It never said this is the only reason we lose and/or there is a conspiracy. People love making their own inference from posts and somehow knowing what others are thinking.

I am glad to be playing out of conference and stand by my original post

I don't either.

Just the UNC and dook games.

There's enough body of evidence at this point to make a strong case.

Christ, the lowered shoulder charges they are calling on Barrett in this game are exactly the same charges they called blocks on Dolezaj when Barrett steamrolled him when they beat us at home
It's pretty cut and dry against UNC/Duke.

-UNC shot 21 fts against us in the 1st half. I bet no other team got close to that number against us in the 1st half. 2nd half maybe because of fouling late trying to catch up.

-Duke had 1 foul called against them in the first 19 minutes in the game at the dome. 1 foul. 19 minutes. They literally had 5 fouls to give on the last possession of the 1st half.

-Big Chu fouled out in 7 minutes against Duke. Considering we had the ball for half that time, he was called for 5 fouls in 3.5 minutes of playing defense.

These are anomolies and I don't think it's a coincidence that they occurred against Duke/UNC

All I can say to the denialists is that you're still not used to being in a conference with true basketball royalty, and not just one but two. It has a psychological effect on everyone involved in the game, including the refs. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy of any kind.

No, what we're saying is, it's absolute horseheet.

Because it is.

If you accept the bias as a normal course of life in the ACC, that's your problem.

It's still a legit topic to discuss here.

The original post if you go back and read it said the refs were brutal to us this year against UNC and Duke and I’m glad to be playing out of conference. It never said this is the only reason we lose and/or there is a conspiracy. People love making their own inference from posts and somehow knowing what others are thinking.

I am glad to be playing out of conference and stand by my original post

You claim that you never said it's the only reason we lost but that's 98% of your posts. You also whined about it in vs Pitt, Notre Dame Clemson, Virginia Tech - not just UNC and Duke - and I'm sure every other game but I only had to go back a little bit to find these posts.

-UNC shot 21 fts against us in the 1st half. I bet no other team got close to that number against us in the 1st half. 2nd half maybe because of fouling late trying to catch up.

-Duke had 1 foul called against them in the first 19 minutes in the game at the dome. 1 foul. 19 minutes. They literally had 5 fouls to give on the last possession of the 1st half.

-Big Chu fouled out in 7 minutes against Duke. Considering we had the ball for half that time, he was called for 5 fouls in 3.5 minutes of playing defense.

These are anomolies and I don't think it's a coincidence that they occurred against Duke/UNC
Right on...this post hits the nail right on the head

No, what we're saying is, it's absolute horseheet.

Because it is.

If you accept the bias as a normal course of life in the ACC, that's your problem.

It's still a legit topic to discuss here.

Completely agree

You claim that you never said it's the only reason we lost but that's 98% of your posts. You also whined about it in vs Pitt, Notre Dame Clemson, Virginia Tech - not just UNC and Duke - and I'm sure every other game but I only had to go back a little bit to find these posts.

Um, yes this is a thread about officiating so it will be about the referees believe it or not.. crazy right? you don’t have to read the thread if it bothers you.

The refs in college basketball are a major issue. The same is true with the NFL.

It’s funny that you’re obsessed with my posts. Should I be flattered or are you stalking me? If you can’t see referees are a major issue in college basketball then maybe you should try on Chukwus goggles too.

I don’t watch a ton of NBA but watch plenty of college basketball and the refs are much better in the NBA. The game last night UNC vs Duke was called completely differently then ours. Made for a better game actually

Last edited:
The refs in college basketball are a major issue. The same is true with the NFL.

Whether it's ball and strikes, or pass interference, or block/charges, whenever you have human beings making split second judgement calls, there's always going to be disgruntled fans.

Whether it's ball and strikes, or pass interference, or block/charges, whenever you have human beings making split second decisions, there's always going to be disgruntled fans.

No doubt but it has reached an obsurd level in college basketball. The UNC game 21 fts to 5 and only 1 foul on Duke are preposterous in a first half. I think College Basketball has the worst referees of any sport and it’s not close.

The question is what do they do about it to make it better? I work with a guy who knows a well known ref from th Cuse and they travel all over , are tired and call anticipation calls half the time. They are human so are influenced by the crowd, implications of the game and/or great players.

In 2017 they emphasized freedom of movement and not sure where that went to be honest. It seems like they forgot all about it to be honest.

Last edited:
Another question, is Jimmy part of the problem? They way he sarcastically berates the refs might work against him. Jimmy with is witty sense of humor gets under their skin maybe ?

Last edited:
Um, yes this is a thread about officiating so it will be about the referees believe it or not.. crazy right? you don’t have to read the thread if it bothers you.

It’s funny that you’re obsessed with my posts. Should I be flattered or are you stalking me? If you can’t see referees are a major issue in college basketball then maybe you should try on Chukwus goggles too.

I don’t watch a ton of NBA but watch plenty of college basketball and the refs are much better in the NBA. The game last night UNC vs Duke was called completely differently then ours. Made for a better game actually

I can see I've upset you Csonk and doggone it, that upsets me. I have over 12500 posts on the board (something I probably shouldn't be proud of) and less than 1% have anything to do with you. So I'm not sure where you get the obsession thing. If you don't want people to respond to your comments, a message board seems an odd place to hang out.

We just have different perspectives. I'll definitely point out bad calls, but I prefer they should only be part of the discussion, not the entire discussion like you constantly make it. I'm more of a control the controllables kind of guy. There are several posters on here that are the same way - they point out bad calls but also focus on what we need to do better. Also, while i try to have some degree of impartiality when it comes to the refs, I realize I'm watching the games from a biased perspective - although not nearly the bright orange glasses that you have.

But that being said, I'll put you on ignore because I hate to upset you and I don't think we're going to meet in the middle on this one.

Danny Schayes was on orange Nation today and said that Paschal's problem is that he gets too close to the guy he was defending. He needs some space between him and the offensive player and use his long arms in front of him rather than reaching.

(But somehow he played 30 minutes vs. Pitt and 7 minutes vs. Duke. )

Pitt is terrible and Duke has 3 super talents on their front line.

Points 1 and 2 I generally agree. UNC plays really fast with a lot of movement so you can see how they draw more fouls than they should but that's a credit to a great coach. The Duke stuff is horsepoo.

On 3 PC can be clumsy and a step slow against that frontline. And his judgement over these years on both sides of the court isn't exactly the best.

FqqAq
I can see I've upset you Csonk and doggone it, that upsets me. I have over 12500 posts on the board (something I probably shouldn't be proud of) and less than 1% have anything to do with you. So I'm not sure where you get the obsession thing. If you don't want people to respond to your comments, a message board seems an odd place to hang out.

We just have different perspectives. I'll definitely point out bad calls, but I prefer they should only be part of the discussion, not the entire discussion like you constantly make it. I'm more of a control the controllables kind of guy. There are several posters on here that are the same way - they point out bad calls but also focus on what we need to do better. Also, while i try to have some degree of impartiality when it comes to the refs, I realize I'm watching the games from a biased perspective - although not nearly the bright orange glasses that you have.

But that being said, I'll put you on ignore because I hate to upset you and I don't think we're going to meet in the middle on this one.

Put me on ignore, or not it really doesn't matter to me and actually not upset at all but I appreciate you thinking about my feelings. That's very noble of you..Basically you have mentioned in numerous posts how I "whine" about the refs and talked about my posts in 5 other games that is where I thought the "obsession" comes from. Either way, I get it you hate referee threads...don't read them. My response is you don't have to read my posts if you don't want and that offer still stands, scroll through if you please.

Also, never said I didn't want people to respond that is kind of the point right? My perspective is that everyone should be held accountable in anything they do especially when the stakes are high of which they are extremely high for college basketball. Money involved, invested hours and money and time for fans. Impacts future recruiting, impacts tv exposure. The stakes are too high for them to be this bad. For some reasons referees don't seem to have any level of accountability and have been particularly bad this year.

As far as the control the controllables part of the situation and saying what we need to do better, you realize as posters we don't control anything right and players don't read this. The players shouldn't complain about refs but what issue is there with fans doing it? I played D1 football for SUNY Albany and guess what, I never complained about the refs because it had zero impact or a negative one on the game and my coach would make us run ladder wind sprints. Us fans don't have that limitation nor the consequences of doing it. I complain at the 10 - 12 games I attend every year too when they are bad.

In basketball you can give the other team free points and either limit of remove players from the game by fouling them out. No other sport has that impact from referees, so yes college basketball refereeing is a focus of mine as it impacts the game extensively.

As a fan though, I'll complain about the refs all day and its not always with orange glasses. It is historically bad across college basketball...Congrats on your 12501st post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom