ACC to Boeheim | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ACC to Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing wrong with folks supporting JB here- every single one of us I believe wants for the best possible ending to his career at SU. The perception you are relaying is what I can see has some folks pretty heated. We are just debating.

If people are truly supporting JB they should be wanting him to leave ASAP. He is dragging himself and his career down along with the University and Program. He is only hurting himself and his legacy him hanging on is to his own downfall. So if you are truly supporting him then they should be hoping he is gone sooner than later.

Agreed. But there’s a slight asterisk. There was no tourney in 2020–for anyone. Sure, you can argue we wouldn’t have made it, but no one can be sure b/c we had just beat UNC in convincing fashion. And no teams made the tourney that year, so I don’t think it can count for or against anyone.
We were 18-14. I think it’s fair to say we wouldn’t have made it.

Seven years between two schools. JB has been at one school for 47 and had a lot more overall success than Holtman. Many of us believe JB has earned the right to leave on his terms.
Who is this “many” you speak of? You, Brooksie, and EdfromSodus?

It’s not just 3 missed tourneys….it’s that we haven’t even been close. In the past, when we missed we were at least close and watched the selection show thinking we had a chance.

2020, 2022, and so far 2023 are easily the worst Syracuse basketball teams I’ve ever watched.

Seven years between two schools. JB has been at one school for 47 and had a lot more overall success than Holtman. Many of us believe JB has earned the right to leave on his terms.
Not any more the 2nd probation and then chasing away the coach in waiting ended that. He's the only coach to get his school put on probation twice.
Add to that 8 years of mediocrity, that's reason for him to be let go.
No one is more important then the University, and he is becoming a national embarrassment. This needs to end he is becoming Bobby Knight, and Woody Hayes. This isn't going to end well, if JB doesn't leave soon.

That’s really more of a goal or an expectation. By ceiling, I mean what our record would be had we won all of the close games.

Had we just won the three games I mentioned, we would be in first place in the conference and firmly in the tournament. I get it, we didn’t win those games and the committee doesn’t take close losses into consideration. That’s not the point. The point is we are that close to meeting just about everyone’s expectations.

And that’s why I think most of you refuse to acknowledge it. Because it would also mean conceding that JB can still coach. I know he’s a lazy recruiter and that recruiting is part of coaching. Just focusing on the games, though, with the talent he has and the one defense he insists on playing, we’re a few missed rebounds, questionable calls, and unlucky bounces away from being pretty damn good. The team has improved over the course of the season. JB may not be the coach he once was, but he’s still better than most.

BTW, Providence lost to SJU today, so I guess Cooley is off the table now.

It can't be debated that top ten teams and contending for national titles was in our past for a long time and that our present has been a good deal short of that for a long enough time that it's not just a slump. I have no problem with people speculating that we could do better with another coach, although it's a toss of the dice to see if the other coach can have more success or bring us back to the old days, (see the football program). It could be being in the ACC in the era of NIL and the portal makes it more difficult to obtain our previous standards and I've posted the success rate of coaches who follow 'legends'. There aren't many legendary coaches out there, even if you count the ones who aren't legends yet but will be.

I also agree with many of criticisms being made and think it would probably be better for JB to retire like so many of the coaches of his generation have done lately, for his own sake as well as the schools. He's not going to be 'fired', although his retirement might be suggested in private.

I just have no patience for false or over-statements such as last year's "we don't have the talent to compete with the teams we are playing" or this year's "we have become a national joke." We just aren't what we used to be and would like to become what we used to be, even if it might be harder now. The rest is just noise.

It can't be debated that top ten teams and contending for national titles was in our past for a long time and that our present has been a good deal short of that for a long enough time that it's not just a slump. I have no problem with people speculating that we could do better with another coach, although it's a toss of the dice to see if the other coach can have more success or bring us back to the old days, (see the football program). It could be being in the ACC in the era of NIL and the portal makes it more difficult to obtain our previous standards and I've posted the success rate of coaches who follow 'legends'. There aren't many legendary coaches out there, even if you count the ones who aren't legends yet but will be.

I also agree with many of criticisms being made and think it would probably be better for JB to retire like so many of the coaches of his generation have done lately, for his own sake as well as the schools. He's not going to be 'fired', although his retirement might be suggested in private.

I just have no patience for false or over-statements such as last year's "we don't have the talent to compete with the teams we are playing" or this year's "we have become a national joke." We just aren't what we used to be and would like to become what we used to be, even if it might be harder now. The rest is just noise.
SWC, with all due respect, the coach even said last year in a presser, "we can't compete w Duke." To me that is an omission of dereliction of duties. If I was AD, I would have said, I expect you to compete for conference titles. Can you meet that expectation? If the answer is yes, what do you need for n terms of support and what is your timeline of achievement? If the answer is No, the response should be are you announcing retirement now or at the end of the season? The fact that these convos probably are not happening is as big of an indictment on JW as JB.

This thread is an exercise in futility. Yes, it gives people who want to express opinions, something to talk about the HC but nothing will happen until he’s gone.

Some hate the ground he walks on

Some think he’s a cranky, old SOB who shouldn’t be a coach anymore

Most dislike the fact that JB didn’t retire years ago

They wanted Mike Hopkins to step in as HC, so did I

They don’t like his coaching record for the past nine years

They don’t like what he says at press conferences

They want man instead of the zone

They don’t like the players he plays

They don’t like what the player does when he’s finally in the game

They don’t like the way the HC treats his players – he’s in their face

They don’t like the way he treats or interacts with the media

They don’t like the way he says - he’s going to retire when he wants to

They don’t like the way he goes to the bathroom, he uses too much toilet paper

Why don’t we, for a second, go back ten years before our National Championship. The discussion then was why can’t he win the BIG ONE? And for years there was a continual sh** storm about that

I could go back years and read just about the same rhetoric as tonight. Especially page three in this thread

I’ve been watching this team court side as a spotter for the official scorer since 1962 when Dave Bing put it on the map and fans came up the Hill and began watching SU basketball. Manley Field House was the place to be whenever there was a game being played. Then came “The Pearl” in ’83 and the DOME was electric

Everyone agrees, I believe, the HC has created an amazing record and defined Syracuse as a basketball icon – without the last nine years. Let’s make it ten for even numbers sake and look at where he fell off the wagon. Let’s see ’12 34 – 3, whoops, that’s one more year than allowed

’13 30 – 10, ’14 28 – 6, ’15 23 – 15, ’16 19 – 15, ’17 23 -14 ’18 20 – 14, ’19 18 – 14, ’20 18-10, 21 16 – 17, ’22 ?

Looks like 2016 would have been a nice place to stop. And, it would have allowed Mike to step in nicely instead of leaving. It would be great to have him back here, IMO. Or not?

Does he stay and we see what he does next year?

I agree with SWC75 when you think you're getting an "ace coach" who will take us back to the old days. A toss of the dice, yes. Snake Eyes?

Are you an SU fan or a JB Fan?

Im curious, like if he runs them into a 3-24 season do you still believe he has earned the right to leave on his terms? What is the goal here, to win games or to accommodate JB?

Point im making is a Head Coach is just a highly compensated employee. They dont get to call their shot, JB even had to admit that this week.
Both.

When JB decided to continue coaching six or seven years ago, my viewpoint at the time was that he had earned the right to leave on his terms. Why would that change? He either earned it or he didn’t. Do I think he should have retired by now? Yes. If he doesn’t want to, so be it.

People retire when they choose all the time, across a broad spectrum of professions. Even at JB’s age and beyond.

Not sure I'm understanding your point, Day. Are you suggesting that the retractions somehow absolve JB of the stupidity and inappropriate nature of his comments? If that's your point, then let me clarify: I absolutely agree with most of what he said. The point here is not to whether what he said was "true" etc., but whether he should've said it in the first place.
My take is that he shouldn't have said it. As a representative of our great university and face of the program, toe the company line, do your job, and go home. Unless of course you believe that you ARE the program, and it's all about you, no? Whether true or not, that's how it comes off.You hate the state of cbb so much, then retire- like a couple of your buddies have opted to do. What makes you so special? Because cbb is not about to change, is it- that horse has literally left the barn. Show some decorum, recognize that you represent more than just yourself and your opinion, and then frankly S.. t... F... u.. about it. It's called tack, diplomacy, and reality..etc. JMHO
It’s a simple question and I don’t think it needs to be repeated a seventh time. After the interview dropped, a lot of people on this board took issue with everything he said, not just the comments about Pitt and Wake. Every word was further proof that he needed to go. Apparently, several days later, cooler heads have prevailed and the only issue at this point would appear to be what he said about Pitt and Wake. Do I have that right?

Both.

When JB decided to continue coaching six or seven years ago, my viewpoint at the time was that he had earned the right to leave on his terms. Why would that change? He either earned it or he didn’t. Do I think he should have retired by now? Yes. If he doesn’t want to, so be it.

People retire when they choose all the time, across a broad spectrum of professions. Even at JB’s age and beyond.
He’s free to keep coaching elsewhere if he doesn’t want to retire and another employer wants him.

Both.

He isn’t working as a member of the Geek Squad at Best Buy. His performance has a wide slew of ramifications. He is making peoples jobs more difficult, including several above him in rank, while himself not performing up to expectations. People in that set of circumstances generally have their departure time chosen for them.

What you are describing here is Rutgers/Providence/Seton Hall from the BE days. They could all make that argument over the years. Thus I think you are over valuing those near misses . If the league was top 3 in the conference discussions there is a bit more to what you are trying to say I think. The what ifs represent the reality that this team doesn't have what it needs on the bench or the floor to find a way to win those games.

In addition if you are going to make that case, then you also have to look at Richmond, Notre Dame and Louisville. All games that could have flipped the other way and all weak teams.

The other thing is just look at the non conference losses year over year both to good teams and bad teams. A weaker ACC has been beneficial to our records these past few years that would very possibly have been worse when the league was much better.

When at his best JB was winning a large share of the non conference games, not losing multiple buy games and setting the stage for the conference slate. Even the above average teams faired better in the non conference and rarely dropped a buy game.

So the what if losses are far more representative of the state of the program than being a few bounces from top of the conference.
Did I not bring up the close wins against ND and Louisville earlier in this thread? I acknowledge our floor. I recognize how bad our record could be. So why is it so hard for some of you to acknowledge our ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom