ACC to net $28 million already on this tourney... | Syracusefan.com

ACC to net $28 million already on this tourney...

Its hard qualify how important getting into the ACC was. Its not just this tourney but bball wise the conference is setting up to be a juggernaut which will hog the talent on the east coast and basically cripple the ceiling for the BE, AAC, A10 ect. Its going to be a 7-9 bid conference that does very well year to year in the tourney. The additions of SU/Lville to the UNC/Duke brand gives it 4 top 10 programs while UVA, NcSt are on the rise again and ND/Pitt add quality and depth.

Last edited:
Guaranteed at least one Elite 8 appearence as well, hopefully there will be some more upsets and we'll continue to benefit.

The added revenues will certainly make the job a bit easier for the new AD.

Its hard qualify how important getting into the ACC was. Its not just this tourney but bball wise the conference is setting up to be a juggernaut which will hog the talent on the east coast and basically cripple the ceiling for the BE, AAC, A10 ect. Its going to be a 7-9 bid conference that does very well year to year in the tourney. The additions of SU/Lville to the UNC/Duke brand gives it 4 top 10 programs while UVA, NcSt are on the rise again and ND/Pitt add quality and depth.

I also wouldn't sleep on traditional ACCprograms like Georgia Tech, Wake, Clemson who have been a bit down for a while, and Florida St for a few years. To me getting 2 of those 3 programs going again will make the conference dominant. If you look back 10 years ago, Wake and Tech had final 4 runs, would make the tourney 50-70% of the time. Clemson while always fading in the tourney, was a consistent mid seed for most of a 10 year period ending in the mid 2000's. I also remember posting last year that Florida St had been as good a program as Notre Dame the past 6 or 7 years and showed it statistically... but that was before this year of course.

When all the teams get it together in November and December one year, the standard for this conference should be 8-10 teams.

do we get a share this year or does the SIB take us out of the money?

didnt they say we get no money because of not being allowed to play?

I also wouldn't sleep on traditional ACCprograms like Georgia Tech, Wake, Clemson who have been a bit down for a while, and Florida St for a few years. To me getting 2 of those 3 programs going again will make the conference dominant. If you look back 10 years ago, Wake and Tech had final 4 runs, would make the tourney 50-70% of the time. Clemson while always fading in the tourney, was a consistent mid seed for most of a 10 year period ending in the mid 2000's. I also remember posting last year that Florida St had been as good a program as Notre Dame the past 6 or 7 years and showed it statistically... but that was before this year of course.

When all the teams get it together in November and December one year, the standard for this conference should be 8-10 teams.

Agreed and neither of us mentioned Miami. Larinaga is a good coach and if he gets the right guys they will be tough year in and year out. I think Manning might resurrect Wake. I'm not sold on G-Tech or Clemson anytime soon. Hamilton seems to get a lot of big stiffs and one or two decent guards but its been few and far between for him. The potential is certainly there for most of the teams to at least be NCAA teams cyclically when they have experienced upperclassman returning.

HoustonCuse said:
And this is why you root for your conference in the NCAA Tournament.

Nobody replied to my question in the other thread. But I'd like folks to raise their hands if they rooted for Gtown? Uconn? Pitt? All 3?

Last edited:
Nobody replied to my question in the other thread. But if like folks to raise their hands if they rooted for Gtown? Uconn? Pitt? All 3?
I never rooted for any of these teams in the NCAA. We are Syracuse. I don't care how much money we get from our rivals winning in the tournament.

jncuse said:
I also wouldn't sleep on traditional ACCprograms like Georgia Tech, Wake, Clemson who have been a bit down for a while, and Florida St for a few years. To me getting 2 of those 3 programs going again will make the conference dominant. If you look back 10 years ago, Wake and Tech had final 4 runs, would make the tourney 50-70% of the time. Clemson while always fading in the tourney, was a consistent mid seed for most of a 10 year period ending in the mid 2000's. I also remember posting last year that Florida St had been as good a program as Notre Dame the past 6 or 7 years and showed it statistically... but that was before this year of course. When all the teams get it together in November and December one year, the standard for this conference should be 8-10 teams.

I'm staying asleep on Clemson. Wake and GTech should be better.

rrlbees said:
Nobody replied to my question in the other thread. But I'd like folks to raise their hands if they rooted for Gtown? Uconn? Pitt? All 3?

Root is a strong word.

I always wish Gtown the worst.

Everyone else? I'd see them as the lesser of two evils. It's also highly dependent upon the opposition. PITT vs Kentucky? PITT. UCONN vs Mich St? UCONN - because I hate the B1G too.

I always secondarily rooted for all other BE teams, except 1. F Georgetown.

I even rooted for WhoConn. They are very much like Paris, in that it would be beautiful if it wasn't for the French.

Pitt is the exception to the "root for your conference" rule. There is no circumstance to root for Pitt. If Pitt was playing Satan, I'd be wearing red.

The trouble for these teams is that they have to play the other ACC teams - I don't see us, Duke, UNC, Louiville etc. slowing down.

do we get a share this year or does the SIB take us out of the money?
No, Syracuse Gets it's full share of the ACC NCAA tournament money.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._of_revenue-sharing_now_that_orange_wont.html

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse University's decision to make its basketball program unavailable for the postseason this year will not affect its ability to share ACC revenue.
The conference and its members earn money from the ACC basketball tournament, from bowl appearances, the NCAA tournament and television rights.
"A couple years ago, our presidents had a discussion about not piling additional penalties on to decisions made by the NCAA," the ACC's Chief of External Affairs, Amy Yakola, said. "So from this year's perspective, Syracuse will not be penalized. They won't lose dollars for that."

Another reason to support the conference. Other then hating opposing fanbases, I usually always found myself pulling for conference mates.

"The ACC, which splits its units equally among conference members, has a chance to reach 26 units in this tournament based on how the bracket breaks down. That would result in the ACC being the first conference to earn more than $30 million off one tournament, and it would even surpass $40 million."

If this is what the conference's cut is, what does the NCAA get? Wonder if another organization could run things more cost affectively which could increasing the conferences cut hmmmm

I rooted for Pitt. I don't hate Pitt like some here.

G'Town and UConn I never rooted for but that's because... we actually have reason not to like them. I don't have a reason not to like UNC/Duke/NC State/Louisville/UVa/ND.

Did you root against the ACC in bowl games and the Playoff?

longislandcuse said:
I rooted for Pitt. I don't hate Pitt like some here. G'Town and UConn I never rooted for but that's because... we actually have reason not to like them. I don't have a reason not to like UNC/Duke/NC State/Louisville/UVa/ND. Did you root against the ACC in bowl games and the Playoff?

Why do you keep saying root against the ACC? I don't root against the ACC. Like you and others, I root against certain teams. So you and everyone else so far did root against certain teams in the BE. Just like some now root against certain ACC teams. Seems like many people are two faced.

I never rooted for any of these teams in the NCAA. We are Syracuse. I don't care how much money we get from our rivals winning in the tournament.

They don't really feel like rivals yet to me. Maybe after a few years I'll hate them and root against them, but for now I'm behind them.

pfister1 said:
They don't really feel like rivals yet to me. Maybe after a few years I'll hate them and root against them, but for now I'm behind them.

2 of them, Pitt and ND, came with us. And if some people are saying they never hated Duke they are FOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom