Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I answered you and I've seen numerous other people answer you too, Scooch. See Jesse's thread pages 53-54.

Me: "His intention was to benefit from landing a 5 star recruit for a million bucks, as is his right. He likely would not get the same return on donating to a collective. It's like Pepsi offering to sponsor an elite professional athlete in exchange for the athlete promoting Pepsi products, but the athlete says no but you can give me the money anyway. There's a degree of fandom and charity in college NIL, but at the end of the day it's business."

You: "This makes sense to me. And I agree, he can do whatever he wants, obviously. But let's not pretend he's some cherub-like good soul who only cares about dear ol' SU and his charities. He wants ROI."

me: "I don't think anyone is denying that though. You don't become a billionaire by being a cherub-like good soul who throws money away. But why would Weitsman getting a ROI matter to Syracuse or fans? That's how deals work -- all parties enjoy a benefit. Also it gives the arrangement longevity."

I'll add that this concept is the most normal thing ever. We live in a capitalist country, and people capitalize on things. JMA didn't just contribute to a collective, it had the Dome named after it.
That's fair.

I was hoping to get an answer from those who are adamant about Weitsman's deep love of SU. While I get that a primary goal of his has been to get a lot of attention for spending NIL money, there are those who keep insisting that he really loves SU and wants to help. I want to know why, if that is indeed the case, that he won't toss some money into the collective NIL hat.

I don't care if his primary goal is attention as ROI. I just want to hear why that's so important as to trump his supposed love of SU.

That's fair.

I was hoping to get an answer from those who are adamant about Weitsman's deep love of SU. While I get that a primary goal of his has been to get a lot of attention for spending NIL money, there are those who keep insisting that he really loves SU and wants to help. I want to know why, if that is indeed the case, that he won't toss some money into the collective NIL hat.

I don't care if his primary goal is attention as ROI. I just want to hear why that's so important as to trump his supposed love of SU.

I don’t know how to measure someone’s love but Adam has been a donor, and a significant one, before he got courtside seats, before he got a box and before NIL. Upstate Shredding has appeared on the donors list for awhile.

I don’t know how to measure someone’s love but Adam has been a donor, and a significant one, before he got courtside seats, before he got a box and before NIL. Upstate Shredding has appeared on the donors list for awhile.
Great info, thanks. So given that, he should be well-acquainted with the concept of simply donating to the general athletic fund, no? Like, that hasn't been a dealbreaker for him prior to his recent NIL/courtside seat stuff?

Great info, thanks. So given that, he should be well-acquainted with the concept of simply donating to the general athletic fund, no? Like, that hasn't been a dealbreaker for him prior to his recent NIL/courtside seat stuff?

I would think so.

But why should it matter. It's his money and apparently he wants to spend it a certain way. It's his prerogative. Maybe when NIL is more mainstream, he will find other benefits of donating to the collective.

But why should it matter. It's his money and apparently he wants to spend it a certain way. It's his prerogative. Maybe when NIL is more mainstream, he will find other benefits of donating to the collective.
I'm not saying he shouldn't spend his money in any way he sees fit. He could spend $500 million on socks for all I care.

I'm not saying he shouldn't spend his money in any way he sees fit. He could spend $500 million on socks for all I care.
I know, but even those of us that are pro-Adam still might not fully understand his motivation besides furthering his brand. Is there more to it, like his supposed love of SU, or not really. I guess, only time will tell.

This probably applies to a s-load of us

Data Shame GIF by A1 Slovenija

I know, but even those of us that are pro-Adam still might not fully understand his motivation besides furthering his brand. Is there more to it, like his supposed love of SU, or not really. I guess, only time will tell.
I think throwing Jesse under the bus so he can throw himself a pity party and implying the two are related (through timing) says a lot about his character. He was a snake in the grass waiting for the opportunity.

exactly which is why I'm out. Won't be renewing anything for the first time in my life. Can't compete? No, won't compete/won't try to compete is what I take out of all this.
I realized this a few years ago. It’s just not worth my investment or time anymore.

What i don't understand is what did Adam specifically do that prompted Kent to tell him to stop supporting Syracuse via NIL. I thought that NIL was supposed to be between the athlete and the sponsor. If he was getting sign off as was reported why did Kent tell him to stop.
From my understanding the flight the recruit took with the rapper may have been an issue.

That isn't the point. Hes a fan and supported the athletes at a high level. Why chase him off? Anyway, I'm done on this. For my part I think he does a ton of good and i think it's wrong that he is being painted as some greedy individual who is only out for himself as that just isn't true. I also find it odd that so many of the posters who trash this guy love one of his best friends. I guess Jim is a lousy judge of character.

He’s the one who, or those he hires to, controls his image to the public.

Yesterday made him look like a me, me, me Adam Weitsman fan first, Cuse fan somewhere down the line.

imo his leaking of the info and blatant attempt to control the narrative wasn’t very tasteful. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I answered you and I've seen numerous other people answer you too, Scooch. See Jesse's thread pages 53-54.

Me: "His intention was to benefit from landing a 5 star recruit for a million bucks, as is his right. He likely would not get the same return on donating to a collective. It's like Pepsi offering to sponsor an elite professional athlete in exchange for the athlete promoting Pepsi products, but the athlete says no but you can give me the money anyway. There's a degree of fandom and charity in college NIL, but at the end of the day it's business."

You: "This makes sense to me. And I agree, he can do whatever he wants, obviously. But let's not pretend he's some cherub-like good soul who only cares about dear ol' SU and his charities. He wants ROI."

me: "I don't think anyone is denying that though. You don't become a billionaire by being a cherub-like good soul who throws money away. But why would Weitsman getting a ROI matter to Syracuse or fans? That's how deals work -- all parties enjoy a benefit. Also it gives the arrangement longevity."

I'll add that this concept is the most normal thing ever. We live in a capitalist country, and people capitalize on things. JMA didn't just contribute to a collective, it had the Dome named after it.
spot on.

Too many people concerned about who's in and who's out regarding NIL. Does it even matter at this point? Do we even have a player on our team bringing in any sort of considerable money from NIL? Other than Elijah Moore is there anyone in our pipeline destined for 6 figures?

What's the point of discussing if nothing is even getting done to begin with.
Brings another question to the table. If we’re going to build a team of top 100 and top 40 players, do you pay the supposed asking price of over $500,000 for Jesse? Not sure I think that’s a great investment.

I think Jesse had been offered a large dollar amount from one or multiple schools that Cuse decided it was in it’s best interest not to match. Not because we couldn’t, but because sometimes the dollar amount is unreasonable and better allocated elsewhere if winning is the goal.

Brings another question to the table. If we’re going to build a team of top 100 and top 40 players, do you pay the supposed asking price of over $500,000 for Jesse? Not sure I think that’s a great investment.

I think Jesse had been offered a large dollar amount from one or multiple schools that Cuse decided it was in it’s best interest not to match. Not because we couldn’t, but because sometimes the dollar amount is unreasonable and better allocated elsewhere if winning is the goal.
Bingo!

That is the hope.

Time to deliver on that premise then in this window with a good center.

That is the hope.

Time to deliver on that premise then in this window with a good center.
I hope this is the case. I personally don't think that Joe is worth 400k and i wouldn't give Jesse anything close to what is being mentioned. I think that NIL money should be spent on kids with more than a year left. Jesse is a good player solid but not great. In a man-to-man situation he might be eaten alive. If SU passed based on his demands being considered out of line, I consider that to be a good thing.

I hope this is the case. I personally don't think that Joe is worth 400k and i wouldn't give Jesse anything close to what is being mentioned. I think that NIL money should be spent on kids with more than a year left. Jesse is a good player solid but not great. In a man-to-man situation he might be eaten alive. If SU passed based on his demands being considered out of line, I consider that to be a good thing.
I think at this stage, considering where we are, where the fan base is, HD is worth a big investment with one year remaining. If Judah comes back, with JJ, and throw in HD, tickets sales will climb. The juice, no pun intended, will be back.

I think at this stage, considering where we are, where the fan base is, HD is worth a big investment with one year remaining. If Judah comes back, with JJ, and throw in HD, tickets sales will climb. The juice, no pun intended, will be back.
If it helps get Judah back, and puts us in a position to win the Acc, then you throw him the big bag. Which I’m sure is being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.