Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

If the Albany head coaching spot opens up, then count GMAC in… watch it happen.

I wish Red the best but this was a lazy hire at best and hopefully not something we regret for years to come. I can’t see it working out. Do you see the apathetic fan base all a sudden churning out 20k+ for games like a hire from outside of the program would? I certainly don’t. This is terrifying if Wildhack ever has to make a football hire.

Have to do all they can to keep Gerry there. Otherwise will need a mad dash to hire two assistants to recruit. Should give Gerry a raise.
I agree. Obviously Gmac should take a head coaching job at a mid major if he can land one now. But I don’t know if he’ll be able to. If he can’t, he should stay here for a season or two to get some more seasoning and land some big recruits and then hopefully he can find a head coaching job. But it’ll depend on what Red wants for the two other positions outside of Griff.

Autry coached elsewhere before SU he should do whatever he wants with his staff and Gerry and Griffs feelings should not be considered. If he can hire better coaches he can go for it.

He has the keys 100% right now and owes nobody anything other than trying to win games next year for the fan base and add talent.
Red and Griff are each other’s closest friends in coaching and tied at the hip in this rebuild. Griff will be the right hand man. We’ll see about the other two spots.

I wish Red the best but this was a lazy hire at best and hopefully not something we regret for years to come. I can’t see it working out. Do you see the apathetic fan base all a sudden churning out 20k+ for games like a hire from outside of the program would? I certainly don’t. This is terrifying if Wildhack ever has to make a football hir
If he’s not the best man for the job who is ? JB was not a slam dunk hire see how that turned out

Why is Adrian Autry's nickname "Red"? I've always just accepted it, but my wife recently asked me and I didn't have an answer.

I wonder if this thread will get more posts than the Taureen Thompson recruiting thread?

In all serious, what a strange new time. For the first time in my life I've woke up to a world where JB wasn't the HC. I hope he does well in retirement.

I wish Red the best but this was a lazy hire at best and hopefully not something we regret for years to come. I can’t see it working out. Do you see the apathetic fan base all a sudden churning out 20k+ for games like a hire from outside of the program would? I certainly don’t. This is terrifying if Wildhack ever has to make a football hire.
If he starts to recruit and win, sure. If we did an outside hire who stunk, then the fanbase wouldn't return either.

Jim is Davids new neighbor on Skaneateles Lake
Jim's about 6 miles down the lake from David. Nice joint, I hope he stays in CNY, at least in the Summers. Would be super pleased to see him rooting on the team from the stands ala Digger at ND.

It doesn't appear to be the case. Regardless of what you opined in a couple of the other threads on this topic, all of your alleged extensive due diligence, etc., you spewed that took place, there simply isn't any objective proof of it.

No different than anyone's viewpoint, folks believe what they voluntarily want/chose to believe.
Things do happen that are not in public view. I may not have been in the room where it happened but I am satisfied that there is indeed objective proof of the process that led to this decision and it was not one that simply considered the next man up. In the future I will try not to spew any of my knowledge that contradicts your narrative. My apologies.

Things do happen that are not in public view. I may not have been in the room where it happened but I am satisfied that there is indeed objective proof of the process that led to this decision and it was not one that simply considered the next man up. In the future I will try not to spew any of my knowledge that contradicts your narrative. My apologies.
If Consigliere says it happened I believe him. That being said, Mark, I think the University consistently and almost without fail chooses the path of opacity in situations like this, which they are entitled to being a Private Institution, but which absolutely leads to consternation, conspiracy theories, and a general lack of unease among fans and supporters.

They had 47 years to figure out a better way to do this insofar as how it looks on the outside. Not the best way IMO.

I don't view it as a lazy hire as much as a misprioritized one.

If this is a team with a great incoming class, coming of a string of successful years, with modern schemes you want to continue, i get why you want as smooth and seamless a transition as possible.

The team is slipping into mediocrity. It's schemes are old and badly need to be updated. Our incoming class is one project (who hopefully develops into a good player). We are likely to lose multiple players either way to the drtaft or transfer. This absolutely was the time to go external, to a coach w proven head coaching experience and exciting modern offensive and defensive schemes, maybe even one that would take a few recruits for 2023 with him since, you know, we dont have any. There was no good continuity to protect. This wasn't the time to "keep it in the family" or save a few bucks.

Anyway, all that being said, I absolutely hope Red does well and I find myself looking back at my feelings now foolishly. I am rooting for him.

I don't view it as a lazy hire as much as a misprioritized one.

If this is a team with a great incoming class, coming of a string of successful years, with modern schemes you want to continue, i get why you want as smooth and seamless a transition as possible.

The team is slipping into mediocrity. It's schemes are old and badly need to be updated. Our incoming class is one project (who hopefully develops into a good player). We are likely to lose multiple players either way to the drtaft or transfer. This absolutely was the time to go external, to a coach w proven head coaching experience and exciting modern offensive and defensive schemes, maybe even one that would take a few recruits for 2023 with him since, you know, we dont have any. There was no good continuity to protect. This wasn't the time to "keep it in the family" or save a few bucks.

Anyway, all that being said, I absolutely hope Red does well and I find myself looking back at my feelings now foolishly. I am rooting for him.
We've already slipped into mediocrity. Red gives us the chance to keep players that you think may leave. Red is not JB. He is his own man.

The basketball alumni favored an alum as I have tried to explain for years. Billy Owens flat out said this to Brent Axe on the radio yesterday.

I'm sure Red appreciates your support and vote of confidence. Maybe you can be a little more patient before declaring that it won't work out. I'm glad you weren't my boss when he took a chance on me for a big promotion over 30 years ago.

If he starts to recruit and win, sure. If we did an outside hire who stunk, then the fanbase wouldn't return either
Yea but we have already seen what Red can bring to the table. This is just prolong the inevitable and making things just that harder.

If he’s not the best man for the job who is ? JB was not a slam dunk hire see how that turned out
There are a ton of young, hungry, energetic, up and coming head coaches. A National search may have been made. Just maybe we attract an icon as well. 10 years ago this would have been a slam dunk job. This was the lazy way out .

There are a ton of young, hungry, energetic, up and coming head coaches. A National search may have been made. Just maybe we attract an icon as well. 10 years ago this would have been a slam dunk job. This was the lazy way out .
It really wasn't though.

10 years ago would have been the same situation.

The Syracuse basketball alums got what they wanted. Red or Gmac was always the preferred choice by people more iintelligent than message board posters.

Yea but we have already seen what Red can bring to the table. This is just prolong the inevitable and making things just that harder.
We have? I missed it. If you’re referring to recruiting, well, a new staff develops its own style. Time will tell if this hire will be a hit or not. We haven’t seen what Autry can or cannot do.

Beyond that, if there was ever a case for a “portal year” this is it.

It really wasn't though.

10 years ago would have been the same situation.

The Syracuse basketball alums got what they wanted. Red or Gmac was always the preferred choice by people more iintelligent than message board posters.
Correct. We’ve also seen what happens when we ignore our alumni in these sorts of matters. posters criticized the AD on football side for doing just this. Gotta keep people happy. I also trust their input on coaches better than random posters. They got Marrone right….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom