AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

In hindsight, AEW should’ve never taken the title off Jericho. He was an awesome champ, but then just wasted time as a comedy act for 6 months.

Imagine if they kept the title on him this whole time, did the MJF angle, and had him lose it to a white hot heel in MJF?

I think they’d be in a better place.

I don't agree. Moxley was spectacular as champ, with the only thing hurting his reign being Covid.

I DO think, however, that the Inner Circle thing grew stale. Jericho is getting up there, and I wouldn't mind at all if he dials back his involvement.

I also agree that he doesn't have an obvious direction right now. Time to take Fozzy back on the road?

I don't agree. Moxley was spectacular as champ, with the only thing hurting his reign being Covid.

I DO think, however, that the Inner Circle thing grew stale. Jericho is getting up there, and I wouldn't mind at all if he dials back his involvement.

I also agree that he doesn't have an obvious direction right now. Time to take Fozzy back on the road?
Moxley was good...I think I would’ve liked an extra long Jericho reign...IMO it didn’t go stale until he lost the title and the whole group was doing comedy BS and was kinda pointless. They would’ve stayed important. Then have the turn, and eventually title change.

Moxley was good, but him eventually chasing MJF could’ve been awesome.

Still could be eventually, but I could see Moxley as a good “finally gets over the hump and wins the title” guy if he were to win it down the road from MJF. But now he’s already been champ.

Im on the fence, on Omega.

Moxley was good...I think I would’ve liked an extra long Jericho reign...IMO it didn’t go stale until he lost the title and the whole group was doing comedy BS and was kinda pointless. They would’ve stayed important. Then have the turn, and eventually title change.

Moxley was good, but him eventually chasing MJF could’ve been awesome.

Still could be eventually, but I could see Moxley as a good “finally gets over the hump and wins the title” guy if he were to win it down the road from MJF. But now he’s already been champ.

Im on the fence, on Omega.
I agree there. He's the AEW champ, I feel like these side trips to other promotions does nothing to add luster to his reign. I think he should be building up challengers in AEW.

We all know Jericho is the man on the mic. On Dynamite this week he gave one of his best promos ever...

AEW should pick up Samoa Joe, if he’s healthy enough to wrestle.

Id say use him as a manager if not, but man they have too many guys already doing that.

Amazing rating for the show last night which is great because the show was great.

Thrilled the Bucks and Omega went the whole way. They are all tremendous douche bags. Add Joe to the Kingston/Mox team and I will pay money to watch

AEW should pick up Samoa Joe, if he’s healthy enough to wrestle.

Id say use him as a manager if not, but man they have too many guys already doing that.
That one really surprised me. I thought he was doing a really good job as an announcer even if they didn't want him wrestle.

That one really surprised me. I thought he was doing a really good job as an announcer even if they didn't want him wrestle.
Agreed. From what I’ve heard, I also thought he was good on commentary.

Only thing I can think of is he was making too much money to just be a commentator?

Raw rating 2.06 million
AEW rating 1.29 million.

Vince should be nervous.
Raw ratings are going suck and AEW without competition is going draw.

Agreed. From what I’ve heard, I also thought he was good on commentary.

Only thing I can think of is he was making too much money to just be a commentator?
Joe wants to get back in the ring and WWE wouldn't clear him to wrestle (concussions). He was great on commentary though. Good on WWE for letting him out of his contract and not just keeping him on their sidelines.

With Daniel Bryan (aka Bryan Danielson) now a free agent, who wouldn't want to see a Danielson-Omega match-up?

I don't watch every AEW Event... just watching this week's episode right now.

Maybe others like it, but seems like have way too many attacks after matches -- does it lose its luster after it happens all the time? 2 for 2 on matches tonight.

Seems like they might have too many factions / too much talent for 2 hours, and this is how they try to get them involved.

I don't watch every AEW Event... just watching this week's episode right now.

Maybe others like it, but seems like have way too many attacks after matches -- does it lose its luster after it happens all the time? 2 for 2 on matches tonight.

Seems like they might have too many factions / too much talent for 2 hours, and this is how they try to get them involved.

They do have too much talent for two hours. They've said there's gonna be a second show, but it hasn't happened yet. Their ratings are great, especially now that NXT has slunk to Tuesdays. They were the #1-watched cable show on Wednesday last week, and killed in the money demos.

They have a couple of Youtube shows, filled mostly with squash matches. Mostly there to give newcomers some ring time.

They do have too much talent for two hours. They've said there's gonna be a second show, but it hasn't happened yet. Their ratings are great, especially now that NXT has slunk to Tuesdays. They were the #1-watched cable show on Wednesday last week, and killed in the money demos.

They have a couple of Youtube shows, filled mostly with squash matches. Mostly there to give newcomers some ring time.

When I said "maybe others like it", I was not referring to the AEW show itself, although I can certainly see how you read it that way given my sentence structure The show itself is a good product and I see why people like it.

I was referring to the specific element of run-ins only -- that was the only thing I was criticizing. As in "Maybe others like the constant post match run ins". but I believe they should have less of them. But this is how they try to keep people showcased.

Regarding talent I think they need to also be careful of not going to big on their roster even with additional TV time. They have done such a great job of creating new talent or re-establishing misused WWE talent. But you can only do it with so many people at once before its becomes too spread out. Obviously if they get a chance at Daniel Bryan you do it no questions asked.

Last edited:
When I said "maybe others like it", I was not referring to the AEW show itself, although I can certainly see how you read it that way given my sentence structure The show itself is a good product and I see why people like it.

I was referring to the specific element of run-ins only -- that was the only thing I was criticizing. As in "Maybe others like the constant post match run ins". but I believe they should have less of them. But this is how they try to keep people showcased.

Regarding talent I think they need to also be careful of not going to big on their roster even with additional TV time. They have done such a great job of creating new talent or re-establishing misused WWE talent. But you can only do it with so many people at once before its becomes too spread out. Obviously if they get a chance at Daniel Bryan you do it no questions asked.

I gotcha, and, I agree. Sorta. Here's the difference, though, between the run-ins on WWE vs. the run-ins on AEW: On WWE, they almost always lead to DQ finishes, one more reason why I find their programming unwatchable. You don't see DQ finishes on AEW. Not ever. The run-ins are generally used to start or to further an angle.

You're right. Too many run-ins, and I think it's b/c they have too much talent to showcase on one 2-hour show. The trick is, I sure don't want to see them do five hours of main roster programming, like WWE. I think an additional 90-minute program would be just about perfect.

I'm not a big WWE fan anymore. But I can't get into AEW either. We have Jericho blading (and not even hiding it well), wrestlers licking each other's blood, taking chairs shots to the head. This is 2021! We know the dangers of this stuff.

I think Tony Khan is horrible irresponsible for letting some of that stuff continue to go on. Just my opinion

I'm not a big WWE fan anymore. But I can't get into AEW either. We have Jericho blading (and not even hiding it well), wrestlers licking each other's blood, taking chairs shots to the head. This is 2021! We know the dangers of this stuff.

I think Tony Khan is horrible irresponsible for letting some of that stuff continue to go on. Just my opinion
I liked it early on but it went downhill around spring 2020.

The Jericho thing was so funny, not entirely his fault (i guess?) but just directly on camera

This is because not only does TNT already have the NBA, but they're adding NHL hockey to their programming next year. AEW got a nice increase in revenue for the move.

Rampage is scheduled for Fridays from 10 to 11, hardly an optimal spot, but if they can get viewers to switch over from Smackdown, it could work.

Here is the whole thing.
Pretty funny stuff. MJF and Jericho did a great job.