AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Sooooo...cm punk tonight?
Signs point to Absolutely Yes. From an interview with Tony Khan:

"AEW's Tony Khan said he has "no plans to disappoint anybody" with Friday's highly-anticipated edition of Rampage from Chicago's United Center -- a show that is expected to feature the promotional debut of CM Punk.

Speaking to Busted Open Radio, Khan admitted that while it's fun to be surprised, "I think everybody has a pretty good idea of what to expect tonight."

"I don't like to let people down and I have no plans to disappoint anybody tonight. Finally, at "The First Dance," we're going to satisfy people and make a lot of wrestling fans very happy. We're going to make some new fans that are going to read about what happened tonight and are going to want to check out AEW. That's exactly the reaction for what we are looking for. I think people are going to be very happy with what they see and have been waiting to see this for a long time," Khan said.

Signs point to Absolutely Yes. From an interview with Tony Khan:

"AEW's Tony Khan said he has "no plans to disappoint anybody" with Friday's highly-anticipated edition of Rampage from Chicago's United Center -- a show that is expected to feature the promotional debut of CM Punk.

Speaking to Busted Open Radio, Khan admitted that while it's fun to be surprised, "I think everybody has a pretty good idea of what to expect tonight."

"I don't like to let people down and I have no plans to disappoint anybody tonight. Finally, at "The First Dance," we're going to satisfy people and make a lot of wrestling fans very happy. We're going to make some new fans that are going to read about what happened tonight and are going to want to check out AEW. That's exactly the reaction for what we are looking for. I think people are going to be very happy with what they see and have been waiting to see this for a long time," Khan said.
Exciting times! Feels like the Monday Night Wars a bit. Maybe WWE will eventually step their game up in response.

Exciting times! Feels like the Monday Night Wars a bit. Maybe WWE will eventually step their game up in response.
Vince has a yes-man around him he isn’t going to change. He hates NXT and he hates the fact that fans actually like NXT.
He’s Monty burns but Triple H isn’t Smithers that’s Kevin Dunn and Bruce Prichard.

The only way WWE change it is if they lose their television contracts which honestly what they’re being paid is ridiculous they don’t bring that value anymore. They can’t even average 2 million a week for raw or barely above that for smack down on basic Fox.

The only people that like the product now or people like CuseRunner who wanna be told what to think.

Vince has a yes-man around him he isn’t going to change. He hates NXT and he hates the fact that fans actually like NXT.
He’s Monty burns but Triple H isn’t Smithers that’s Kevin Dunn and Bruce Prichard.

The only way WWE change it is if they lose their television contracts which honestly what they’re being paid is ridiculous they don’t bring that value anymore. They can’t even average 2 million a week for raw or barely above that for smack down on basic Fox.

The only people that like the product now or people like CuseRunner who wanna be told what to think.

It's a shame too because something to wrestle is a great podcast and Pritchard has excellent stories. But what I did realize is that he still wants to book like it's the 90s. He's great but his mentality doesn't fit now

I know this: I’m more excited to watch a random episode of AEW Rampage on TNT than I am to watch Summerslam.

I think I even saw Summerslam is on Saturday? If so, I definitely won’t be watching live. Will probably skim through it on a rainy day.

This CM Punk pop is off the hook.
Agreed. Annoying that they went to a commercial break in the middle of it, but I guess they knew nobody was changing the channel.

I loved how Punk didn’t even bring up WWE or Vince by name but completely nuked them.

That promo was gold.

All I could think of when he made those “young talent” comments was how when he was at his absolute hottest they had him work with HHH and...Kevin Nash!! Lolsmh.

When AEW does the “Meta” Powers angle with Bryan and Punk it’s going to be unbelievable and they have it in the back pocket.
Don’t need to use it for a while.

Also thought it was a nice touch by Punk to mention Britt Baker in Pittsburgh last week. Because that was an awesome scene too. And putting someone/something over that has nothing directly to do with you is always a good look, IMO. AEW has a lot of people that are flat out over right now, which means they’re doing something right.

I loved how Punk didn’t even bring up WWE or Vince by name but completely nuked them.

That promo was gold.

"On August 13, 2005, I left professional wrestling. On August 20, 2021, I'm back and I'm back for you."

Last edited:
Vince couldn’t get a crowd this hot even if he gave everyone a 100 dollar bill.

Vince couldn’t get a crowd this hot even if he gave everyone a 100 dollar bill.
To be fair, Cena’s return got a great pop.

But yeah, AEW has hot crowds every week.

Was thinking/hoping WWE might come back that way once they got live crowds again but so far...not really.

Didn't read the posts above as Rampage only comes on at 11:00 in Canada. (Dynamtie is regular time)

It's a shame that the Punk entrance is a bit "anti-climactic". I am sure AEW will find a way to do it well and the crowd will go nuts, but as a fan would have loved the full surprise element.

That being said I totally understand the reason that AEW has been leaking this out -- for business reasons it makes all kinds of sense to build up buzz, get viewers and promote the new show.

To be fair, Cena’s return got a great pop.

But yeah, AEW has hot crowds every week.

Was thinking/hoping WWE might come back that way once they got live crowds again but so far...not really.
Vince reliance on old timers is gonna hurt him.

You know he is probably already planning something with Taker next year

Vince reliance on old timers is gonna hurt him.

You know he is probably already planning something with Taker next year
Vince is an old-timer. He's coasting on fumes.

If WWE didn't have so much built-up brand ID, AEW would have already surpassed them.

When you think about it, it's amazing how quickly AEW has become a legit contender.

Hopefully they figure out how to book him.

The “Cape Fear” esque sociopathic mad man cult leader that he started out as had potential. The supernatural monster was beyond stupid,
Someone suggested that maybe he becomes the leader of the Dark Order.