Akok Akok in the portal | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Akok Akok in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re not gong to get much from the freshmen forwards. They should be getting limited minutes in reserve roles. This isn’t just speculation on my part.

Then what is it?

I’ve seen Bunch, Copeland and Taylor play. Bunch doesn’t rebound and is pretty much a one dimensional scorer..Copeland will sit behind Mintz and Torrence. And Taylor has yet to find the shooing stroke that was advertised almost a year ago. Mintz is the only impact player in this class. We’ll need to be patient with this group.

You can see the shooting stroke in the highlight films. It wasn't just 'advertised'. He may have hit a slump but the stroke is still there. Copeland could play forward. Brown looks really good. Bunch is an athlete but I don't like his shot. Carey could be phenomenal but hasn't played much in two years. I don't know about Benny - we'll see. But I think we can get two decent forwards out of the group and our backcourt and center should be terrific.

I forgot Symir. Yes, agree he will play some. Quadir is going to have a hard time finding minutes his frosh season. I wonder if he might get a chance to play some at SF if our other frosh SFs struggle?

Probably not.
I think the key to Symir playing is (1) becoming more consistent at the free throw line and (2) hitting an occasional jump shot or 3 to keep the defense honest. He earned his wings as the season wound down in spite of the injury when he missed a game or two. JB tends to favor experience. Unless the freshmen set the world on fire, Symir will see solid playing time.

I see something in the order of .500 season if things stand as is with the roster.
Look, I see the same things you do. However, we could have a guy or two blow up. Jesse for instance could be a much better player this year. As could Benny. Not in any way to equate the two's performance last year.
If our biggest problem is a frosh forward, we might be able to overcome that. That is why I wanted Cole to stay so badly. But hope still runs eternal. At least for me.

I wouldn't be mad if he's outgrowing point guard and becomes a viable point forward.
Don't know about outgrowing the PG spot, but his skill set might play better at point forward. Good call. Need to see him rebound at that spot to know if that is a viable option.

Look, I see the same things you do. However, we could have a guy or two blow up. Jesse for instance could be a much better player this year. As could Benny. If our biggest problem is a frosh forward, we might be able to overcome that. That is why I wanted Cole to stay so badly. But hope still runs eternal. At least for me.
Dasher, think staff turns their full attention to Akok now that Ballard isn’t coming?

He’s legit 6-7
Every time I see a picture of Copeland, I think "there's no way he's 6'6" tall"

He's barely taller than JB, who has lost several inches in height. Copeland on the backline would be ugly to watch. But we would be a fun team to watch if we ever did get a rebound.

Look, I see the same things you do. However, we could have a guy or two blow up. Jesse for instance could be a much better player this year. As could Benny. Not in any way to equate the two's performance last year.
If our biggest problem is a frosh forward, we might be able to overcome that. That is why I wanted Cole to stay so badly. But hope still runs eternal. At least for me.

And if Jesse gets hurt again we will be even worse than this year

Dasher, think staff turns their full attention to Akok now that Ballard isn’t coming?
The only school I have heard so far that is involved with Akok is Georgetown.

It will be interesting to see how we react to this.

Sell him on starting at forward across from Benny and playing the five when Jesse gets in foul trouble. Seems like a no brainer to reach out.
I hear you.
But it seems pretty clear (to me at least) that JB is not willing to block PT for the frosh forwards coming in. That is why he targeted strictly a back-up C in the portal - and that's why, in my estimation, he'll continue to target only a back-up C in the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom