Albany Game Thread... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Thread...

Yup Army is 3-0 after beating Rutty today. I think SU matches up a lot better then they do with Albany but Baretto is an elite level goalie when he is on. Not surprised the offense struggled at all to be honest. They lost to much to graduation and don't have the upper level players at this point to step in to fill the void. The only upper classman in the top 6 is Solomon who is a good attackmen but not a great dodger and not an elite finisher.

I know its starting to become a "wait till next year" feeling like the fball team but the talent in this years class and next years is light years better then anything SU has brought in, in 5+ years. Offensively the 2013 class was a disaster and 2014 was even worse. 2015 was a little bit better but it wasn't until 2016 we got back to an SU level class at least offensively. The 2017 and 2018 class are chock full of higher end offensive players a few of which could become stars. Dordevic, Curry, Seebold Quinn all have high end potential but there no where near Frosh ready like a Nanticoke or Mike Powell. Give those guys some time to develop along with Rehfuss, and some of the other younger guys like Lauder, Lipka, Buttermore anand plan for the future. d you have a team that looks like a patented SU squad. Next year SU gets what they need from the attack standpoint in Cook, Berkman, the Maryland kid and with any luck Staats. Put Staats and Cook on this first attack unit with Rehfuss and Solomon, watch out.

Agreed. I'm buying Cuse futures. This year is transition with a brutal schedule but get the young guys some run. Staats is huge if we get him here. The QB we need.

I think that’s why you just have to throw them in the fire now. They’ll be better for it now than waiting til next year. Thank Lane for his service and throw your next best underclassman in there.

Couldn't agree more, Lipka, Quinn, and Curry should be rotating on the second line with one of Simmons or Lane. I would also bump Bomberry back to middie and put Seebold at attack and have him rotate with Voigt.

Where he’s wrong is that Syracuse did not recruit any of the Albany kids. Your not talking kids picking UNCC over Duke. It’s being done with the kids Duke didn’t recruit. That might change now though.

Syracuse did recruit Ierlan and Nanticoke for sure and probably at least spoke with a few others. But your right its not like SU is losing a ton of recruiting battles to Albany.

Syracuse did recruit Ierlan and Nanticoke for sure and probably at least spoke with a few others. But your right its not like SU is losing a ton of recruiting battles to Albany.

I didn’t think they recruited Ierlan. If they did that was a big miss.

SU offering would have helped even more. They had him in for a visit but I don't believe we ever offered.

Shame on Desko if we never offered. This one will hurt.

Too bad there isn't a website that tracks everyone's offers (like there is for FB and BB).

I can tell you who committed to us. But I can't tell you with 100% certainty who turned us down, or who we passed on.

Where he’s wrong is that Syracuse did not recruit any of the Albany kids. Your not talking kids picking UNCC over Duke. It’s being done with the kids Duke didn’t recruit. That might change now though.
of course we never went after the 2x tewaarton winning thompson's ?

This is what the season is going to be like. Don't kid yourself. It amazes me that no one ever comments on the guys that score with the least amount of playing time. Look at time on field and production. Any of them can score if they play 75-100% of the game. Donahue has had (until this year) the most talented attack and midfield over a 4 year period, in the country, and NO RING, NO championship weekend. If you are firing someone, make it Donahue.

This is what happens when you get outworked as a staff in recruiting and start losing your reputation as a fun, creative, player-driven offense. Desko, Rogers and Donahue are all very nice guys but they are also prematurely senescent and Desko is especially irritating after a loss when he goes into "take my hat off mode" and tells us very calmly how good the other team is and how many excuses we have for sucking.

Yup Army is 3-0 after beating Rutty today. I think SU matches up a lot better then they do with Albany but Baretto is an elite level goalie when he is on. Not surprised the offense struggled at all to be honest. They lost to much to graduation and don't have the upper level players at this point to step in to fill the void. The only upper classman in the top 6 is Solomon who is a good attackmen but not a great dodger and not an elite finisher.

I know its starting to become a "wait till next year" feeling like the fball team but the talent in this years class and next years is light years better then anything SU has brought in, in 5+ years. Offensively the 2013 class was a disaster and 2014 was even worse. 2015 was a little bit better but it wasn't until 2016 we got back to an SU level class at least offensively. The 2017 and 2018 class are chock full of higher end offensive players a few of which could become stars. Dordevic, Curry, Seebold Quinn all have high end potential but there no where near Frosh ready like a Nanticoke or Mike Powell. Give those guys some time to develop along with Rehfuss, and some of the other younger guys like Lauder, Lipka, Buttermore and you have a team that looks like a patented SU squad. Next year SU gets what they need from the attack standpoint in Cook, Berkman, the Maryland kid and with any luck Staats. Put Staats and Cook on this first attack unit with Rehfuss and Solomon, watch out.
The Maryland kid?

Staff are gonna tinker with lineups still. It's gonna happen for a while. By the end of the year. The only guys that will be locks for positions I believe will be Trimbo, Soloman, and Rehfuss. I think everyone else's spot are up for change. And probably will. And bomberry I think won't be benched but I could see staff moving him around and using him differently, out of the box maybe.

Is this a good time to point out that we have only 5 Seniors/Grad Students on the roster this year:

Brendan Bomberry
Seth DeLisle
Matt Lane
Dom Madonna
Ryan Simmons

A lot of young pups coming up ... maybe sooner rather than later.

I know its starting to become a "wait till next year" feeling like the fball team but the talent in this years class and next years is light years better then anything SU has brought in, in 5+ years. Offensively the 2013 class was a disaster and 2014 was even worse. 2015 was a little bit better but it wasn't until 2016 we got back to an SU level class at least offensively. The 2017 and 2018 class are chock full of higher end offensive players a few of which could become stars. Dordevic, Curry, Seebold Quinn all have high end potential but there no where near Frosh ready like a Nanticoke or Mike Powell. Give those guys some time to develop along with Rehfuss, and some of the other younger guys like Lauder, Lipka, Buttermore and you have a team that looks like a patented SU squad. Next year SU gets what they need from the attack standpoint in Cook, Berkman, the Maryland kid and with any luck Staats. Put Staats and Cook on this first attack unit with Rehfuss and Solomon, watch out.
Jeremy,
I believe you overstate the quality of both the past four years and the next two years of recruits. To me SU has been hanging on for the last few years by finding exceptional transfers and one or two from the recruit base. This year that strategy has caught up with us. We got a little too excited by the Bingo win, but I had the feeling that most posters knew this would be a very tough year. A humbling year perhaps. My fear as I wrote in other forums is that we will wear down our defense to the point where injuries may occur. I would like to see more subs at that end regardless of the score in upcoming games, because the defense has some pretty good depth. What is important to me is the way the team reacts to this kind of loss. Can they come back psychologically and give Army a tough game?

Jeremy,
I believe you overstate the quality of both the past four years and the next two years of recruits. To me SU has been hanging on for the last few years by finding exceptional transfers and one or two from the recruit base. This year that strategy has caught up with us. We got a little too excited by the Bingo win, but I had the feeling that most posters knew this would be a very tough year. A humbling year perhaps. My fear as I wrote in other forums is that we will wear down our defense to the point where injuries may occur. I would like to see more subs at that end regardless of the score in upcoming games, because the defense has some pretty good depth. What is important to me is the way the team reacts to this kind of loss. Can they come back psychologically and give Army a tough game?

Im not overstating the last four classes, as I noted a lot of those classes from an offensive standpoint were a disaster. 2013 2014 and to a lesser extent 2015 were blackholes for even average offensive talent less elite Syracuse level players.

2016 was better but this past class and next years are light years ahead of what we got 2013-2015. You can see it already with the young guys who have blown past Lane, Simmons, McKinney, Carlin etc. Problem is there all true frosh or sophomores who didn't have to worry about drawing a top defender laat year. Going to take most of this year to get this offense going. Sadly as you noted this is going to be a rebuidling year like we feared.

This is what happens when you get outworked as a staff in recruiting and start losing your reputation as a fun, creative, player-driven offense. Desko, Rogers and Donahue are all very nice guys but they are also prematurely senescent and Desko is especially irritating after a loss when he goes into "take my hat off mode" and tells us very calmly how good the other team is and how many excuses we have for sucking.

I had my son’s birthday party today, so I had the game on but was only catching bits and pieces of it. However, one of the guys there is a college lacrosse coach, and he was watching intently. I asked him at one point what he was “seeing” in the game, and he said he loved watching Albany play because they are so unconventional - one goal he commented that Syracuse had played perfect defense and Albany just made a creative pass to break them down and score.

I asked him at one point what he was “seeing” in the game, and he said he loved watching Albany play because they are so unconventional - one goal he commented that Syracuse had played perfect defense and Albany just made a creative pass to break them down and score.[/QUOTE]

This was my observation: I don't recall SU executing one creative pass all game. Zippo...Squat...Nada

I asked him at one point what he was “seeing” in the game, and he said he loved watching Albany play because they are so unconventional - one goal he commented that Syracuse had played perfect defense and Albany just made a creative pass to break them down and score. This was my observation: I don't recall SU executing one creative pass all game. Zippo...Squat...Nada

We used to play like Albany did yesterday. Run and gun, creativity, speed, athleticism, stick skills, guys with cannon shots, solid at the X and great defense. That's all down the thruway, to a SUNY school with 1/100th of the tradition we're supposed to have. Not only did we lose out on Ierlan and Nanticote, we don't have anybody to check them. Nanticote's going to be in our face for 4 years. Let's hope a huge talent upgrade is on its way in, because the trajectory of this program is not good.

Last edited:
Sucks to lose but this team always felt like it was at least a year away. I'm excited about the youth we have. I don't look at any seniors and say we are gonna really miss them. Gonna be some growing pains and we know they will tinker with the lineup. As a Cubs fan the Long chase for the championship makes the win that much better!!! I feel the cupboard is definitely not bare and the recruits we have coming will only add too that! Hopefully we grow every game this year, and have a solid team by the end of the year. We ran into a final four team yesterday with no offensive go to guy and we got burned.

Side note: I've always hated the idea of a shot clock but we need it not with the disparity in posssessions yesterday

Side note: I've always hated the idea of a shot clock but we need it not with the disparity in posssessions yesterday

It is amazing to me that one player can be so much better than another player at this particular skill. We benefited from Ben Williams, Chris Cercy and others for years. Duke’s comeback against Denver is Evan more amazing given the face off discrepancy!

Not offering is what meant when I said they didnt recruit him.
I'm not an insider like Jeremy or Woody. But I get the feeling that Desko's a little too cavalier about recruiting. That may be one of the reasons for the program's slow bleed over the last 7-8 years. These days with so much competition, if anything SU should be going the extra mile for special kids in our backyard. We should have been camped out at the Res. until Nanticote committed. That's how good he is .. Cody Jameson good.

For the crowd saying we’re young and a year away, I agree we are young, but I think further away than a year. Albany’s sophomore attackman Patterson had 4 goals against us and they weren’t junk goals. A couple of the wow variety. He’d be starting for us. What Syracuse sophomore, besides Mellen, would be starting for Albany?

My point is that while we are young there is nobody really popping off the page.