Albany Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Gameday...

I don’t know much about lacrosse. Didn’t play growing up and the extent of my knowledge is watching 2-3 games a year and then watching all the playoffs. But wow tonight was brutal. I know the weather was atrocious but it seems like completing a simple pass is difficult for our guys. The basic fundamentals of the game are just not there. So many unforced turnovers. I have to wonder what they work on in practice.

Like I said, I’m not an expert and I may be wrong. But when a team can’t even do the simple things of the game correctly, it says a lot about the coaches and their teaching.
I am in exactly the same boat in terms of lacrosse. That said, most sports fans can recognize a team that is getting coached up, and we don't look well coached, at all. Also if this doesn't work out for Gait (i know blasphemy) the AD is going to be in a tough spot.

Obviously both teams were playing in terrible conditions, but I do think the outcome of this game would have been different if it had not been pouring rain. Tough game to play on the heels of the ND loss. It was just prime upset circumstances, and to Albany's credit they took advantage of it. The Cornell game will be a serious challenge, but it's a great opportunity to right the ship. Hopefully I'll have more time to post this week... my Dad has been in the hospital for the past month but is finally getting released to a rehab facility today. In case I can't, I'll just say that even though we're a bit injured, we can still be competitive if the coaches get the team focused on playing smart, avoiding mental mistakes and playing team first. These kids are playing hard - stand behind them and the program!

I have 2 comments on the Gait presser, one positive and one negative:

1) His comments about the offense not finishing consistently are absolutely correct. He has said this in almost every presser since the beginning of the season. This team has had a problem finishing for a few years now and the current injuries have only made it worse. He correctly points out that not finishing puts more pressure on the defense and wears them down. Even with proven finishers like Rehfuss and Hiltz last year, the offense would often go through dry stretches with the players looking tight and out of their comfort zone. The important question is why are we not finishing consistently? Gait is essentially putting all of this on the players - are we really to believe that we have less talent and poorer shooters than Albany? And this Albany team is not very strong relative to previous Albany teams. March has to take some responsibility for this as does Gait.

2) His general tone after a tough loss (arrogant, smug, smiling) and repeated putdowns of the team's talent level are very disturbing. While I would have liked Desko to be more animated and publicly supportive of his players, he never speak in this derogatory way and I'm struggling to think of another elite D1 coach who would. Gait's response to the question about Buttermore's success and shooting accuracy was positive on the surface but seemed to have almost a grudging tone, like he didn't want to admit Buttermore is a great shooter.

If I were a player on this team, I would find Gait's and March's (March said in article he didn't have the right players for his system) attitudes offensive and demoralizing.
Many of these players have the scar tissue of last season with potential suspensions hanging over their heads, Scanlan soap opera and Desko firing. They don't need more of this nonsense.

What I don't want in the future is an attempt to avoid games like this, and try to revert to a dome only albany rivalry or what have you. These are the games where you need to prove yourself in the face of adversity. Now yes it's true maybe we would have done better on a nice day, but that can't be the staff's mind set. It's cold and raining? Tough ****! If you can't handle a little cold and rain and a hostile environment in April then you certainly cant handle the playoffs in May. It's what we do with Cornell and Hobart and we are better for it.

Games like this need to happen, even if the end result is feeling the sting of a painful loss. You don't develop a championship caliber team trying to prevent these games from happening. I want the Gait-run team that marched down to Baltimore when they were too scared to drive up to the dome. Should have scheduled another easy game or two early for some breathing room, but adding Maryland was not a mistake IMO. I want us motivated as hell to kick their ass in Albany in two years. The players and staff still deserve a chance and our support. Playoffs are not happening, but a similar flash to what we saw against Duke would be encouraging. They very much need to prove the haters wrong at this point.

What I don't want in the future is an attempt to avoid games like this, and try to revert to a dome only albany rivalry or what have you. These are the games where you need to prove yourself in the face of adversity. Now yes it's true maybe we would have done better on a nice day, but that can't be the staff's mind set. It's cold and raining? Tough ****! If you can't handle a little cold and rain and a hostile environment in April then you certainly cant handle the playoffs in May. It's what we do with Cornell and Hobart and we are better for it.

Games like this need to happen, even if the end result is feeling the sting of a painful loss. You don't develop a championship caliber team trying to prevent these games from happening. I want the Gait-run team that marched down to Baltimore when they were too scared to drive up to the dome. Should have scheduled another easy game or two early for some breathing room, but adding Maryland was not a mistake IMO. I want us motivated as hell to kick their ass in Albany in two years. The players and staff still deserve a chance and our support. Playoffs are not happening, but a similar flash to what we saw against Duke would be encouraging. They very much need to prove the haters wrong at this point.
Agreed. Gait's response to the question about playing again in Albany was surprising and disappointing.
Cuse lacrosse shouldn't become similar to a fair weather football team that can't handle a cold, snowy or wet day in the trenches.

Agreed. Gait's response to the question about playing again in Albany was surprising and disappointing.
Cuse lacrosse shouldn't become similar to a fair weather football team that can't handle a cold, snowy or wet day in the trenches.
Hoping we continue it. His answer seemed like a non answer with the joke about how he didn't exactly like it today. Would be cowardly to not come back.

Just can't stand all the shots people are taking at us. Our rebound will be the ultimate revenge tour. The amount of people devoted to hating on cuse never fails to suprise, and you can't help but get angry when they pile on after a loss. It's infuriating.

Ladies and Gents, not sure you realize many of the boys follow, read and take your opinions to heart. Remember, they are young men playing the game they grew up loving to play dreaming of the opportunity to play for Cuse Lacrosse because that is all they know.

It has been a challenging 3 years for all the boys that included a major coaching change because they were all recruited by the previous staff. Not one of the boys walk onto the field expecting to play poorly or want to face defeat. Instead, they wear the uniform to the best of their ability and some days and nights they come up short.

They are all boys/young men of parents who also follow some of this nonsense that is posted about their boys/young men. I would expect grown men/ladies to behave a lot differently since you all bleed Orange. I have waited 5 years to reply to this chat room and I will not regret this moment.

Now more than anytime is the opportunity to pick these boys up as they look to finish the 2022 season on a positive note to build the future of Cuse Lacrosse. For those of you who cannot do this maybe you need to find another team to criticize or cheer for.

To the seniors and your parents, thanks for all the memories I am so proud to say you are part of my life over the last 5 years and all of you will be better for what you have gone through in the game of life.
Well said- it's sometimes easy to forget that these are kids and not professional athletes.

And BTW- unless you're trying to completely throw us off, it's been a pleasure watching your son play and he really showed some mettle coming back this year after his injury.

Just can't stand all the shots people are taking at us. Our rebound will be the ultimate revenge tour. The amount of people devoted to hating on cuse never fails to suprise, and you can't help but get angry when they pile on after a loss. It's infuriating.

Any blue blood team is going to take hits when they eventually struggle, happened to Hop last year and 2 years ago and for Princeton for that lost decade. Even Duke has started to take heat for their struggles the last few years and lack of champ appearances etc. Team should start rebounding next year but I wouldn't take anything to seriously.

Don Henley said it best:

"People love it when you lose. They love dirty laundry"

Any blue blood team is going to take hits when they eventually struggle, happened to Hop last year and 2 years ago and for Princeton for that lost decade. Even Duke has started to take heat for their struggles the last few years and lack of champ appearances etc. Team should start rebounding next year but I wouldn't take anything to seriously.
Well you see, Jeremy, I already get way too irrationally angry at a D1 lacrosse team losing, so naturally it extends to getting irrationally angry at the haters! ;)

We can win out and still not even get close to the bubble this year.

And we're not winning out.

This entire academic year from September on has been a big slice of Betty Crocker's ******* cake.

I'll be at the Cornell game if someone wants to buy me a beer. Ima gonna need it.

This year does seem like it's Groundhog Day, doesn't it?

Well you see, Jeremy, I already get way too irrationally angry at a D1 lacrosse team losing, so naturally it extends to getting irrationally angry at the haters! ;)

I hear ya, SU had had some good years but its been a very odd last Decade or so. Some really great teams that underachieved in the tourney, teams that in retrospect over-achieved, recruiting misses, bad luck with transfers, years of issues at attack despite being loaded at midfield, prior staff getting complacent, defensive issues that we can't solve etc etc. Thing seem to be pointed in the right direction from a recruiting standpoint and Gait seems to realize that he's not coaching the womens team anymore so we don't need a top 10 opponent every week but definitely some concerns about the staff overall that hopefully get answered this fall and next spring.

Relax, I can still remember 2007...then 2008 & 2009.

Relax, I can still remember 2007...then 2008 & 2009.
I’m trying!
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

It seems what causes fans so much discontent is when actual performance doesn't meet expectations. It was pretty obvious to some that even with world class coaches (Gait, Petro and March) that losing the entire first team attack to graduation/injuries and a fair portion of the midfield and multiple injuries across the team in general that this was always going to be a rebuilding year. Gee, look at last season with all the blow outs ... there are many of the same players on this team. From what I've seen by looking at the stats, this year's team is an improvement from last year and I suspect its the coaching that is part of that improvement. I'm not looking at the win/loss record as the metric this year, but the other metrics (GB, CT, FO, clears, rides etc) that will lead to considerable improvement in subsequent years. It takes time to put a new system in place.

yeah i really can't stand hearing Coach Gait talk about the players need to do their jobs...they are college kids fresh out of high school trying to play lacrosse on an elite level...why don't you teach them how to play and give them roles so they can work together as a team...it feels likes he's annoyed to have to bother explaining...the only situation where coach gait can get away with these gruff pressers is if syracuse wins then nobody cares if he doesn't coach well as long as we are tournament bound...

yeah i really can't stand hearing Coach Gait talk about the players need to do their jobs...they are college kids fresh out of high school trying to play lacrosse on an elite level...why don't you teach them how to play and give them roles so they can work together as a team...it feels likes he's annoyed to have to bother explaining...the only situation where coach gait can get away with these gruff pressers is if syracuse wins then nobody cares if he doesn't coach well as long as we are tournament bound...
His comments about players just may be intentional. Time for a lot of folks to move on or accept a practice player role.

His comments about players just may be intentional. Time for a lot of folks to move on or accept a practice player role.

Weren't we ranked #1 and frustrated that the pandemic had ended the season just a couple of years ago. Weren't some of these players part of that team?

so essentially we're playing the Cornell game to determine if we are the silver or bronze medalist in upstate ny ?

I do believe Gary Gait is capable of coaching
and developing elite talent as is Petro. With that said I don’t think either is good at developing average talent. March maybe a good recruiter with supposed great offensive schemes that I’ve yet to see but I don’t see him developing talent. Coach Donahue was excellent at taking a raw athlete and developing them into elite lacrosse players. In a perfect world when Gait took the job he would of let March go hired Ryan Powell to help with the offense and player development. Then offered Galloway an associate head coach position with the agreement that when Gait retires the team is Galloway’s. That ship has most definitely sailed

We are going to crush teams next year.

I do believe Gary Gait is capable of coaching
and developing elite talent as is Petro. With that said I don’t think either is good at developing average talent. March maybe a good recruiter with supposed great offensive schemes that I’ve yet to see but I don’t see him developing talent. Coach Donahue was excellent at taking a raw athlete and developing them into elite lacrosse players. In a perfect world when Gait took the job he would of let March go hired Ryan Powell to help with the offense and player development. Then offered Galloway an associate head coach position with the agreement that when Gait retires the team is Galloway’s. That ship has most definitely sailed

Ryan Powell has never coached any level until he took the CBA job this year. As good of a player as he was I just don’t think that qualifies you as an assistant coach for Syracuse.

I also highly doubt Galloway, as much as he loves Syracuse, would take a demotion at this stage in his career. And the coaching in waiting this hardly ever works out. Gait is only in his 50s, he could be waiting 10+ years for him to step down.

I would not have guessed this be the case but given Jacksonville’s success right now it’s hard not to think that Syracuse hired the wrong alum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom