And there you go... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

And if we struggle on defense and we aren't making up for it on offense we can play Brycen. He covers a lot of room there and can shoot better than Carey.

The last thing we need is a guy who is going to pout and make it all about him. I support our guys and want them all here. I think Carey has a high ceiling if he could get out of his own head. Unfortunately this looks like it has turned into a situation where he is not going to fight through adversity. If he is going to become a poor teammate and play the “poor me” card, I would rather him leave now. Bad attitudes can really affect a team’s chemistry and this young team doesn’t need it.
Let's allow this to play out before casting aspersions on the young man. He's surely disappointed and it's only been a half day to process it. Hopefully, he talks with one of the assistants, gets reset and comes back with a healthy outlook. I think he still has a lot to offer, but right now, maybe he needs to just focus on improving without the stress of having to perform as a main player.

Carey, I’m sorry it just isn’t working. Some reason it just isn’t working. He may have been such an athletic player in HS that his glaring weakness of b-ball IQ and how to know when to shoot and when not was shadowed. I just think he doesn’t have the “IT” factor and girard does. It’s simple girard is the future he has the IT and to not start him is a coaching failure. JB is correct and it is obvious. This isn’t modified it’s big boy ball. Carey has not shown any consistency to make the guys around him better. Girard does. This isn’t even a questionable call.

he is the most physically talented guard we have, and probably the most talented individual player we have. having said that, he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to compete at a high level, just another whiff by this staff. to play basketball at a high major level requires talent of course but more than that, especially for an undersized guy like carey, it requires a discipline and tenacity to get better. and it is just apparent that this guy doesnt have it, he is getting clowned by colgate and a 300 virginia recruit for crissakes. i dont think that girard is better or has a higher ceiling, but at least he is trying.
Smh. Every sentence in this post is either incorrect or shortsighted.

He had a long leash the first two games and then his minutes were decimated for 10 games after that, with his only double-digit minutes coming against bottom-feeder non-conference teams. So he had his opportunity early, didn't take advantage of it and saw his minutes cut drastically, until he earned them back. Meanwhile, Jalen continued to get minutes while putting up walk-on-like stats. There's reason Buddy played more in ACC play while Jalen ride the pine, and it had nothing to do with being the coach's son.

I feel like you're agreeing...numbers lie and shouldn't be trusted!

Last edited:
You probably would have, too, if you had the same long leash that JB gave to Buddy...
This is a really weird take. You don't shoot 40% from 3pt land in the ACC just because you get "undeserved" minutes. You realize there is a skill involved here, right?

My beef is why can’t we retain Carey, a high ceiling athlete, at the two and split time with Buddy 75/25?

buddy’s a better scorer and perimeter threat, but Carey‘s a better defender and has the most transition/penetration potential. Buddy takes a breather, we still have Girard and Hughes pulling defenders to the perimeter.

This will not happen, but it’s sad to see high ceiling talent likely leave.

Does any other major program have a recruit/young player falling off the wheels like this almost every year? Does anybody else think it's the head coach, and not the 19 year old?

No surprise, but I do. And I think (absent some inside knowledge of a crazy coincidence that these kids are all locker room disasters or something like that), you'd have to be nuts to dismiss it. If, 18 months ago, this kid was good enough to be the designated point guard of the future, what changed? He's not producing? We've got some evidence that the next three years of practice and game situations won't get him producing?

It makes it very difficult to sustain a high-level program when a) you're relying mainly on four-year guys because you don't recruit McDonald's kids but b) the staff gives up on them after a fraction of that time.

For 40 years, SU had success with Adrian Autrys and Jason Harts playing the role of productive seniors. Now those guys are benched and dissatisfied or just run off.

he is the most physically talented guard we have, and probably the most talented individual player we have. having said that, he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to compete at a high level, just another whiff by this staff. to play basketball at a high major level requires talent of course but more than that, especially for an undersized guy like carey, it requires a discipline and tenacity to get better. and it is just apparent that this guy doesnt have it, he is getting clowned by colgate and a 300 virginia recruit for crissakes. i dont think that girard is better or has a higher ceiling, but at least he is trying.

What are his talents that don’t include speed and jumping ability?

He's probably chimed in already, but you just made his point.

Yes, Buddy had terrific numbers in the ACC, which we wouldn't have seen without the long leash that allowed him time to settle in after a first month that saw him shoot...a bit less than 40%.

FFS - The ONLY reason Buddy had "a long leash" to open the season last year, was because BOTH Frank and Jalen were INJURED.

It was Battle, Buddy, and ??? at guard for us for like a month.

And yes - Buddy struggled pretty mightily at times, and his PT often reflected that.
Conversely - in ACC play he was our most consistent shooter, so of course he got run.

My beef is why can’t we retain Carey, a high ceiling athlete, at the two and split time with Buddy 75/25?

buddy’s a better scorer and perimeter threat, but Carey‘s a better defender and has the most transition/penetration potential. Buddy takes a breather, we still have Girard and Hughes pulling defenders to the perimeter.

This will not happen, but it’s sad to see high ceiling talent likely leave.

Well I hate to pile on, but Brycen can back up both positions and he’s a better shooter than Carey.

FFS - The ONLY reason Buddy had "a long leash" to open the season last year, was because BOTH Frank and Jalen were INJURED.

And yes - Buddy struggled pretty mightily at times, and his PT often reflected that.
Conversely - in ACC play he was our most consistent shooter, so of course he got run.

Our timelines don't match. I would flip the order in the above sentence.

It took the opportunity (continued minutes on the floor) for him to produce and become the most effective shooter.

If he'd had a shorter leash in early conference play (after his inefficient production behind the injured guys), we never would've seen the 40% in ACC play. Because he'd have been on the bench. Or at the very least coming in for four minutes here, 12 minutes there...a situation in which a shooter would not have shot well.

But the kid had a long leash, got minutes, and rewarded the coach with strong production in that opportunity.

I think, implausible as it sounds, Dolezaj and Chukwu connected on a similar play in the ACC last year.

But yeah, that was a sight for sore eyes. Buddy pushed the ball up court! Girard kept his head up and looked for a teammate! Guys filled lanes on a fast break (something we haven't seen in years)! Sidibe caught the ball and finished strong!

Also, Girard made an 85-foot outlet pass to Hughes later in the half that Hughes didn't do anything with. That was a sneaky athletic play to drop the ball in there like a quarterback, and also obviously heads-up and aggressive. I really am impressed with the kid's game.

Sid did the "I'm open!" hand raise as he filled the lane, and JGIII immediately tossed it up to him.
And he caught it and finished strong!!! Great teamwork!

We used to take this seemingly routine sort of fast break finish for granted.
Let's hope it's the first of MANY more! :cool:

Sid did the "I'm open!" hand raise as he filled the lane, and JGIII immediately tossed it up to him.
And he caught it and finished strong!!! Great teamwork!

We used to take this seemingly routine sort of fast break finish for granted.
Let's hope it's the first of MANY more! :cool:

In the early going, Girard's got the best point guard mentality of anybody since Ennis, I think. If nothing else, I hope he gets more time and positive reinforcement for stuff like this. The offense needs those buckets. And it's great to reward the big guy as well, no coincidence that he was in that spot after Boeheim and Dolezaj had made it a point to feed the post earlier. An involved big is a productive big.

if boeheim played favorites the older brother wouldn't be at cornell, he would've been at SU

Well I hate to pile on, but Brycen can back up both positions and he’s a better shooter than Carey.
We’ve seen Brycen make a few shots. I think the whole “Carey can’t shoot” thing is overstated, he’s got a good midrange jumper (goodine’s certainly a superior perimeter player by the looks of it).

Where I prefer Carey over Goodine, so far, is that I’ve seen Carey get in and grab offensive boards. He is a big guard. If he can draw a defender or two with the ball, and mix it up for boards down low then he’s valuable.

We’re not good enough to alienate players like Jalen

Hope he sticks around but I would bet he’s gone by Christmas.
Stop it! These comments about kids running away after a litte adversity is stupid. His failings aren't the coaches fault.

Stop it! These comments about kids running away after a litte adversity is stupid. His failings aren't the coaches fault.
If all goes to plan recruiting, an extra scholarship will be needed for next year. I don’t agree with this tact but it’s likely what some posters are getting at.

I hate the way the fans cheer for Girard, I've said I think it's gross because it doesn't feel like they're cheering for JG3 so much as cheering against Carey - but the difference in the way the offense ran with him on the floor was clear.

I didn't hear last nights cheer but there's a large contingent of hometown Girard fans at the games. They're going to got nutz when he gets off the bench. And be prepared for buses just like Scranton did with Gerry.

Last edited:
I could use this response for a dozen people on here, so it's not really directed to you, but I think you just perfectly described Jason Hart and Adrian Autry after a season and 1.13 games of each player's college career.

I'm not the only one who's glad the Syracuse University basketball program afforded its point guards more time to develop back then. (And before somebody jumps in with a "but but but you could see flashes," no. You couldn't. Hart in particular was dreadful for his first two years: out of control, no feel, couldn't finish. Good defender, though. Sounds like a familiar skill set.)

I recall Allen Griffin being a JB punching bag. He AND Z Simms basically rode pine until they were seniors.

can we switch to the old style of womens ball where guys dont cross half court then Carey would have a solid reason to be out there..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom