And there you go... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

Stop it! These comments about kids running away after a litte adversity is stupid. His failings aren't the coaches fault.
I mean not once did I say it was the coaches fault in my comment. On the other hand, the writing is pretty much on the wall for Jalen. It took literally TWO games for Boeheim to make the change and rightfully so as the offense is just different with Girard and hell even Goodine out there. You can agree or disagree with that but it’s pretty obvious. I hope Jalen sticks it out but I don’t see it happening.

As much as we want to believe kids are picking schools for more than athletics, when you get to Syracuse’s level and the kind of recruit Jalen was they are looking at basketball as the priority. He’s not going to get playing time here at Syracuse, he more than likely knows that, so what’s holding him back from going somewhere for a change of scenery, where he can get minutes to showcase his skills. He’s a good kid, just needs to change it up on the basketball side. Wish things did work out but it’s becoming more and more obvious they just won’t here and sometimes the best move is to transfer. I think that’s the case here

I mean not once did I say it was the coaches fault in my comment. On the other hand, the writing is pretty much on the wall for Jalen. It took literally TWO games for Boeheim to make the change and rightfully so as the offense is just different with Girard and hell even Goodine out there. You can agree or disagree with that but it’s pretty obvious. I hope Jalen sticks it out but I don’t see it happening.

As much as we want to believe kids are picking schools for more than athletics, when you get to Syracuse’s level and the kind of recruit Jalen was they are looking at basketball as the priority. He’s not going to get playing time here at Syracuse, he more than likely knows that, so what’s holding him back from going somewhere for a change of scenery, where he can get minutes to showcase his skills. He’s a good kid, just needs to change it up on the basketball side. Wish things did work out but it’s becoming more and more obvious they just won’t here and sometimes the best move is to transfer. I think that’s the case here

Not to mention, leaving at the semester break makes a lot of sense for down-the-road eligibility if he chooses to move on.

You're basing that on... what exactly?
His play last year. A 37% three point shooter could provide value pretty much anywhere. Be it Butler was no bueno last year.

This is a really weird take. You don't shoot 40% from 3pt land in the ACC just because you get "undeserved" minutes. You realize there is a skill involved here, right?
Two replies to this... and both missed my obvious sarcasm... my fault, I guess for failing to properly use the sarcasm font?

This reply (and an earlier, more detailed one) was intended to point out the silliness of the narrative that "Buddy got a long leash that Carey did not get". Because I just don't think that it's true.

It seems like Jalen is getting too much credit for his athleticism and making it a plus over Girard. Let's remember JG3 as an outstanding HS player in both basketball and football. That's a type of atheleticism I'll take all day.
JG3 has, as someone said, the IT factor. He also has undeniable confidence and a controllable intensity that puts fire in a team.
I suppose there will be those now who say he will be getting too much of a leash, but I say when you have those pluses in your game, go with it.

Jordan Tucker left Duke. Must be K's fault.

Quade Green left Kentucky. Must be Cal's fault.
Yeah, I think so. Duke and UK are entirely different animals when it comes to player personnel recruiting and development. I think Green and Tucker are going to be very good players for their new teams.

Some of the issue, IMO, is that Boeheim doesn't build offenses around his players. Some guys can thrive with that, some don't. Can't make a Tom-lette without breaking some Gregs.

I recall Allen Griffin being a JB punching bag. He AND Z Simms basically rode pine until they were seniors.

Right, but they got minutes in important situations (even though Sims was famous for always being in the doghouse and potential transfer candidate). On deep teams, Sims was in the game against Arkansas and Griffin I think was our team high scorer against Michigan State. They were rotation guys.

If this were Carey's future, I wouldn't squawk. Based on recent trends, though, there are DNPs coming up. But of course time will tell, maybe I won't have a gripe.

If Jalen could hold onto the ball, Girard and our bigs could potentially benefit from him getting 5-8 minutes at the two. But he seems to struggle maintaining the ball.

Carey dribbles two or three steps towards the basket, draws another defender, and kicks it back to Girard/Hughes for an open three or downlow to Marek/Sidibe in possession near the rim.

Buddy’s certainly capable of this too, but he seems to stick closer to the perimeter/key. That’s fine, he’s dangerous all over the court if he’s open.

I think our offense is frustrating but we have parts to make it work. Our perimeter guys are dead eye’s when they’re open, they’re just rarely open.

Our timelines don't match. I would flip the order in the above sentence.

It took the opportunity (continued minutes on the floor) for him to produce and become the most effective shooter.

If he'd had a shorter leash in early conference play (after his inefficient production behind the injured guys), we never would've seen the 40% in ACC play. Because he'd have been on the bench. Or at the very least coming in for four minutes here, 12 minutes there...a situation in which a shooter would not have shot well.

But the kid had a long leash, got minutes, and rewarded the coach with strong production in that opportunity.

He got minutes because he produced. While he was putting up 13 points in 19 minutes, Jalen was putting up 0 points in the same minutes. He made efficient work of the minutes that he was given, thus earning more time come ACC play.

I'm glad JB made this announcement and I feel bad for Carey too. I bet it's a blessing and a curse to be really fast as a youngster. He was probably so much faster than everyone else that everything was too easy and he didn't need to develop other parts of his game. Easy to get bad habits. I don't care how fast you are, guards need to be able to shoot and run a team in the half court.

Josh Wright

If Jalen could hold onto the ball, Girard and our bigs could potentially benefit from him getting 5-8 minutes at the two. But he seems to struggle maintaining the ball.

Carey dribbles two or three steps towards the basket, draws another defender, and kicks it back to Girard/Hughes for an open three or downlow to Marek/Sidibe in possession near the rim.

Buddy’s certainly capable of this too, but he seems to stick closer to the perimeter/key. That’s fine, he’s dangerous all over the court if he’s open.

I think our offense is frustrating but we have parts to make it work. Our perimeter guys are dead eye’s when they’re open, they’re just rarely open.

Unfortunately, while Carey is our best option for getting around defenders and getting into the lane, the odds of him doing something positive with the ball once he gets into the lane are so low, that it negates the advantage of utilizing that skill.

If, 18 months ago, this kid was good enough to be the designated point guard of the future, what changed? He's not producing?
Bingo.

For 40 years, SU had success with Adrian Autrys and Jason Harts playing the role of productive seniors. Now those guys are benched and dissatisfied or just run off.
Times have changed... check out how many kids transferred in 2019 compared to how many did so just 20 years ago in 1999.

At this point, Carey has (at least) two options - work his a$$ off/improve, be a good teammate, and wait for his next opportunity at SU - or, leave and look for another opportunity elsewhere. Either way, I hope he succeeds - he appears to be a good kid - I'll be rooting for him (unless he ends up playing against SU).

[
My beef is why can’t we retain Carey, a high ceiling athlete, at the two and split time with Buddy 75/25?

buddy’s a better scorer and perimeter threat, but Carey‘s a better defender and has the most transition/penetration potential. Buddy takes a breather, we still have Girard and Hughes pulling defenders to the perimeter.

This will not happen, but it’s sad to see high ceiling talent likely leave.

Agreed, but honestly...who knows? Did we tell him he’d play PG when we recruited him and that’s part of why he came here?

To me, common sense would say play him off the ball more and even if he’s not starting - keep using him off the bench and see if he can find a role/niche for this year.

But who really knows what happens behind the scenes at this level with these kinds of situations?

Right, but they got minutes in important situations (even though Sims was famous for always being in the doghouse and potential transfer candidate). On deep teams, Sims was in the game against Arkansas and Griffin I think was our team high scorer against Michigan State. They were rotation guys.

If this were Carey's future, I wouldn't squawk. Based on recent trends, though, there are DNPs coming up. But of course time will tell, maybe I won't have a gripe.

but right now Carey is more Josh Wright and Kaleb Joseph than he is Griffin or Simms.

[

Agreed, but honestly...who knows? Did we tell him he’d play PG when we recruited him and that’s part of why he came here?

To me, common sense would say play him off the ball more and even if he’s not starting - keep using him off the bench and see if he can find a role/niche for this year.

But who really knows what happens behind the scenes at this level with these kinds of situations?
Thats a great point, there’s the possibility he chose us because he wanted to be a point guard.

I just despise seeing elite defensive talent, and athleticism/speed like his potentially leave the program.

He kind if reminds me of Brandon Triche, Triche maturing into his role earlier in his career obviously.

My beef is why can’t we retain Carey, a high ceiling athlete, at the two and split time with Buddy 75/25?

buddy’s a better scorer and perimeter threat, but Carey‘s a better defender and has the most transition/penetration potential. Buddy takes a breather, we still have Girard and Hughes pulling defenders to the perimeter.

This will not happen, but it’s sad to see high ceiling talent likely leave.
Does JC want to continue a 25% role? My guess is no. Like most players who have had massive success up until college sitting on the bench hurts your soul. I'm a 34 year old man that played baseball in college. It physically hurts me when I am asked to sit the bench a couple innings during a work softball game.

For 40 years, SU had success with Adrian Autrys and Jason Harts playing the role of productive seniors. Now those guys are benched and dissatisfied or just run off.

Seems obvious that the coach is nearing the end of his run and doesn't want to screw around developing players. He wants to win now.

Does any other major program have a recruit/young player falling off the wheels like this almost every year? Does anybody else think it's the head coach, and not the 19 year old?
It happens at every program all the time. We all follow cuse so its magnified to us. Have you seen the transfer numbers the last few years???

This thread

It happens at every program all the time. We all follow cuse so its magnified to us. Have you seen the transfer numbers the last few years???

No! Give me the numbers at P5 teams, and who the replacement was!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom