Antsy on Roberson...... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Antsy on Roberson......

I'm just not sure. This can be exactly their way of it. I smell a lawsuit.

Think about this: By all accounts from sources that the media has extracted, it seems a clear cut deal that he got the gpa up to account for sat scores. This is simple arithmetic, and no one close to him would exaggerate how he did in hopes that the rules would be lenient. Either he got his gpa up far enough, or he didn't. PS said source said he did so.

So either the NCAA is looking into something that seems incorrect or out of place, or their just sitting on this. Given the team and context, I think they're just sitting on this. Extra special family discount for us.

I haven't seen any of those accounts. Did I miss something that said he needed an A and a B for example and he got an A and a B in two acceptable courses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any of those accounts. Did I miss something that said he needed an A and a B for example and he got an A and a B in two acceptable courses?

All I read was that the summer classes were expected to qualify him. Still Tee's point that if its a GPA issue then its basic math is a solid one considering he was at a legit HS in NJ. If it is a GPA issue surely Roberson and his family know what he scored in the summer classes and wether or not those scores are enough to boost him to eligibility. I would asume that would be the information that made JB expect he would be eligible. Which of course gets us back to your asumption that it could possibly be some other issue.

I never had specific grades, but this:
"However, a source close to the situation said Roberson is taking a couple summer courses at his high school to ensure his eligibility.

"He's finishing up his courses (at Roselle Catholic) this week,'' the source said. "He should be fine. He'll be good to go.''"
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/07/syracuse_recruit_tyler_roberso_2.html

Again, simple arithmetic. Sources and coaches would have known if he balanced his gpa with sat. There is a table (800 sat, you need so and so, 900 you need a little less gpa). I had the tables, probably from the eligibility website.

Simple math but lots of assumptions and hopefuls in those words. If it was so simple ask yourself why Roberson already has in place other options? We also know how outspoken JB is. Why just a "we expect" comment? If Roberson was clearly a slam dunk and we were this close, JB would be screaming from the mountain tops.

Now lets hope he does hear positive word from the NCAA today or tomorrow. But this assumption that he is obviously eligible and the NCAA is just sitting on their hands is silly. Again, show where any athlete has been put in that spot before.

I never had specific grades, but this:
"However, a source close to the situation said Roberson is taking a couple summer courses at his high school to ensure his eligibility.

"He's finishing up his courses (at Roselle Catholic) this week,'' the source said. "He should be fine. He'll be good to go.''"
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/07/syracuse_recruit_tyler_roberso_2.html

Again, simple arithmetic. Sources and coaches would have known if he balanced his gpa with sat. There is a table (800 sat, you need so and so, 900 you need a little less gpa). I had the tables, probably from the eligibility website.

I know all about the tables. And I wouldn't expect the coach to say anything differently.

Simple math but lots of assumptions and hopefuls in those words. If it was so simple ask yourself why Roberson already has in place other options? We also know how outspoken JB is. Why just a "we expect" comment? If Roberson was clearly a slam dunk and we were this close, JB would be screaming from the mountain tops.

Now lets hope he does hear positive word from the NCAA today or tomorrow. But this assumption that he is obviously eligible and the NCAA is just sitting on their hands is silly. Again, show where any athlete has been put in that spot before.

You might be right, and might not be as simple as I was led to believe.

You might be right, and might not be as simple as I was led to believe.

It is interesting though that UK enrolled their guys who also have not been officially cleared by the NCAA and we haven't.

If he hasn't been cleared by now, then I wouldn't expect him to be here this year, if he makes it , it will be a bonus.

It is interesting though that UK enrolled their guys who also have not been officially cleared by the NCAA and we haven't.
Money is not a problem for UK to pay for their ball players tuition while they wait to get cleared.

Money is not a problem for UK to pay for their ball players tuition while they wait to get cleared.

Of course although I asume its against teh rules.

Tons of reasons why the eligibility center holds up, even in situations where the kid (and his family, coaches, university) is certain he should be eligible with their calculations. A course taken before 9th grade that they want to use and think should be used is a b*tch sometimes. If he took courses at a different school that can be a bother, even if he took something as simple as History 101 and the course the year before was called World History the NCAA may want the course description, paperwork, etc...on it - which sometimes takes a bit to get in and review. The student thought it was fine, school did too because it was already approved, but wait, the name changed - now the NCAA needs info to verify it is the same course. No rhyme or reason to a lot of it.

With bigger name athletes, schools usually push to get that stuff reviewed quickly, but sometimes the high school drags their feet or the player is put on the priority (watch out for him list). Sometimes the NCAA may ask for more information if the course seems somewhat questionable as well. An Advanced Bio class at some schools is a serious course, at other schools it's a joke and not accepted because the students just run around in fields collecting butterflies. The school may have just taken it for granted that it would be accepted because of the course name alone.

There are a million reasons why it could take longer than it should or was expected to take. That Bio class could have been counted by SU or the high school in thinking a player would gain eligibility but if it was never on the approved course list - the NCAA will have a go at it. When the question arises, the student may say f*** it and go to summer school to take an additional course out of fear it won't go through. A lot depends on the high school tbh.

Scores can get flagged too. Although if I remember correctly it's ACT/SAT that flags the scores, not the NCAA. Who knows......

That's what I think too. I asked this before with no response but do we know of any player anyplace that really really was eligible but didn't get cleared because the NCAA let the clock run out? I know we all hate much of what the NCAA does or doesn't do, but there has to be more to this than the NCAA simply sitting on their hands and letting a kids eligibility slip away.

What do you mean by "letting the clock run out" - like wasn't cleared prior to the semester starting?

This could be more than an issue with his Roselle classes. I think a lot of people forget that he spent his first two years at Union High before transferring to RC for his Jr/Sr season. I would assume that he fell behind or didn't take the proper classes that he had to at Union and was basically playing catch up at RC. Which possibly has the NCAA looking into his Union days to see if everything checks out properly from then to now.

This could be more than an issue with his Roselle classes. I think a lot of people forget that he spent his first two years at Union High before transferring to RC for his Jr/Sr season. I would assume that he fell behind or didn't take the proper classes that he had to at Union and was basically playing catch up at RC. Which possibly has the NCAA looking into his Union days to see if everything checks out properly from then to now.

Yup, a lot of people assume the final transcript is legit because they accepted the courses from the first school as a comparable to their version. The NCAA is gonna require the transcript from the first school as well, and validate each and every course. If anything is suspicious with that school (even if not the players fault) or course descriptions - pretty much anything flagged - it can really bog down the process. A LOT. Kids that transfer schools typically take a far longer time to clear and a lot of times don't send in the transcripts in a timely fashion, and during the summer it can be quite difficult to get your hands on them quickly. And, if the school sends them to the parents first or sends them in an unofficial envelope, I don't know, lots of **** can go wrong.

What was the situation at Ucan't when a walk on gave up his scholarship for a one and done big man? How is this different from Tyler's situation?

It could be people at the high school's dropping the ball. NCAA might contact Union High about a course that he took, want this or that, and the office "lost the request" or the person was out sick, or 100 other things. It may not be the NCAA that is the problem here. Although I do realize that would be like saying "How do we know Alderaan wasn't about to explode from natural causes??"

Yup, a lot of people assume the final transcript is legit because they accepted the courses from the first school as a comparable to their version. The NCAA is gonna require the transcript from the first school as well, and validate each and every course. If anything is suspicious with that school (even if not the players fault) or course descriptions - pretty much anything flagged - it can really bog down the process. A LOT. Kids that transfer schools typically take a far longer time to clear and a lot of times don't send in the transcripts in a timely fashion, and during the summer it can be quite difficult to get your hands on them quickly. And, if the school sends them to the parents first or sends them in an unofficial envelope, I don't know, lots of **** can go wrong.
Great post. Chino just went through the same thing, as his Bishop Kearney transcript was good but the hold up was because the NCAA had to dig into his work that he did back in Africa before coming into the States.

so being 154 est on sunday the day before labor day with no news.. i presume that means first semester is likely a no go?

The problem is too many people on their ridiculous enforcement staff , with so many rules no-one knows them all, and not enough staff for the clearinghouse.

Like K-Mart. Not a clerk in sight to help ... but the "security" office is packed.

so being 154 est on sunday the day before labor day with no news.. i presume that means first semester is likely a no go?
No news is good news? Hopefully, but I know exactly what you are saying.

No news is good news? Hopefully, but I know exactly what you are saying.

lol...probably. If if he was ineligible it'd be easy enough to determine ahead of time so it's not that simple. If he needs those summer courses it could just be coming down to getting the transcripts in. They can't be faxed, so if they're just mailed they get processed with every other document - nobody is going to go look for it in a big pile which means a few more business days.

When do summer courses typically end??? Where did he take the summer courses? The school really matters.

If he took it at yet another school you may have course comparisons between the school he's at for the summer class and classes he took at a previous school. Ultimately, no news is prolly good, at least better than a flat-out no.

What was the situation at Ucan't when a walk on gave up his scholarship for a one and done big man? How is this different from Tyler's situation?

Wasn't it the other way around? I thought Andre Drummond gave up his scholly so someone else could take it.

Wasn't it the other way around? I thought Andre Drummond gave up his scholly so someone else could take it.

Yeah, that's the way I understood it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom