any word on UConn's draw in the | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

any word on UConn's draw in the

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give credit to the two UConn fans who have put up with abuse in this thread. I live in CT. The UConn basketball program is all the state can rally about. (it is totally bifurcated between NY and Boston re pro sports). Hey, I wish UConn well in their new league.

I too credit the ever present, ever vigilant UCon trolls for protecting their school's good name. Their thought police have always been top ten in the nation. No easy task considering the sheer volume of misinformation they're required to disseminate. Validation doesn't come easy in today's rough and tumble, ever changing world of college athletics, even with their gaudy record. Kudos to them for always looking for it here!

I give credit to the two UConn fans who have put up with abuse in this thread. I live in CT. The UConn basketball program is all the state can rally about. (it is totally bifurcated between NY and Boston re pro sports). Hey, I wish UConn well in their new league.

I don't, on either count.

There isn't a team or fanbase I'd wish well LESS than Uconn.

And my point is that the bad Conference USA teams will have a higher RPI next year just by being in a better conference. And, again, a beefed up non-conference schedule and the fact that we get 2 games each with Louisville and Memphis will mean that our RPI will not be affected "greatly" next year at all. Go look at last year's RPI rankings again and notice how many teams from non-power conferences were in the top-30.
Well I mean you had a higher SOS than any of those non-power conference teams in the top 30 except New Mexico. You also would have had a higher RPI than most of them if you had more than 20 wins.

So if you have a higher RPI than last year, it's because you won more games. Your SOS was 22 last year, which is very good obviously, but RPI wasn't great because you didn't win a lot. You had 3 games vs. top 5 RPI teams and like 6 games vs. top 15 RPI teams, it's hard to imagine you repeating that.

I too credit the ever present, ever vigilant UCon trolls for protecting their school's good name. Their thought police have always been top ten in the nation. No easy task considering the sheer volume of misinformation they're required to disseminate. Validation doesn't come easy in today's rough and tumble, ever changing world of college athletics, even with their gaudy record. Kudos to them for always looking for it here!
Nice.

As far as excellence spread out since the Big East was formed, there is no comparison between us and them. Their successses are very compact with several years of poor to mediocre seasons included.

No comparisons?

Well since the beginning of the BE, UCONN has more BET Championships, more BE championships, more elite 8's, more FF and more NC's.

SU has more wins and more tourney apparences.

So, you can pick the best program based on whatever metric you want and be able to defend either program. But neither side can claim its not close.

No comparisons?

Well since the beginning of the BE, UCONN has more BET Championships, more BE championships, more elite 8's, more FF and more NC's.

So, you can pick the best program based on whatever metric you want and be able to defend either program. But neither side can claim its not close.

Dead Horse.jpg

No comparisons?

Agreed. To say there is "no comparison" is 100% ridiculous. UConn has been more successful since 1999, and Syracuse was more successful prior to 1999. Every team has a few mediocre seasons here and there.

If you were rank every college basketball program based on their success their past 30 years or so, Syracuse and UConn would be neck and neck.

It's dumb to say UConn isn't close to SU.

We may disagree on what UConn does in the future, but you can't ignore what they've done the past 15 years.

No comparisons?

How about last place finishes or games played in the old play in game? The league was 10 years old before you were heard from.

Last night, Ollie landed top 25 wing Daniel Hamilton out of LA. Will lookg nice next to Purvis.

#1, having to put up with your unsavory presence all these years is what left a bad taste in our moufs, as your "student" athlete so eloquently put it.

#2, it is both hilarious and sad that your fanbase is so preoccupied with that win--after all, it was your superbowl. I'll willingly concede that loss en route to our final four run for your postseason ban and general mediocrity. Also, the final relevant BET was that much more enjoyable and classy for your absence.

#2, a decline is inevitable for your team, and you are deluded if you honestly believe that you aren't three years removed from being only slightly more relevant than Holy Cross. I get the rationalization--it is a difficult thing to accept that no major conference wants you due to the fact that you bring nothing desirable to the table.

Thankfully for SU, we're not in the same boat. We've moved onto bigger and better things, while you're simultaneously moving toward irrelevancy.

Win-win.

Holy Cross has a bit of catching up to do on the recruiting trail. Stealing Purvis and Hamilton from the Crusaders was huge for Ollie.

Last night, Ollie landed top 25 wing Daniel Hamilton out of LA. Will lookg nice next to Purvis.
Holy Cross has a bit of catching up to do on the recruiting trail. Stealing Purvis and Hamilton from the Crusaders was huge for Ollie.
We don't play you anymore so go brag on some other board. You're a glorified Memphis. Congrats

No comparisons?

Um, we have MORE final fours than you.

You don't get to throw out history because you were garbage.

I've loved hating UConn and having them as riv*ls. I'm having trouble hating them now and feel more pity than anything, which I think is worse than hate. It wasn't long ago that many of us feared we were headed toward the purgatory that now faces UConn. The Big East was good for both of us but ultimately turned out better for SU, perhaps only because UConn chose to sue at the wrong time. Though UConn fans put on a brave face, this change will hurt them and badly. It may be a slow decline, but the loss of revenue and exposure will hurt the recruiting of athletes AND students. All their sports programs will suffer in the long run. Even if they eventually join a major conference, the damage will have been done and they don't have coach Calhoun any more. He had a lot to do with their success. I'd like to be able to continue to hate them but mainly feel grateful that our road is different than theirs. Even Rutgers fared better in the expansion wars and that's perhaps the ultimate insult in all of this. I won't wish UConn well as yet as I want to dislike them a bit longer. That's the least I can do for them.

I might have have exaggerated when I said there there was no comparison between us and them. However, we have won 20 or more since JB has been here every year except for 2 seasons, and one of those we won 19. Our only "down" year since he's been here was a 16-11 record over 25 years ago. We were sub .500 in the Big East ONCE with a record of 7-9. What I'm saying is we have a good competitive team each and every year. They have had several very good seasons and several horrible ones. We have had several very good seasons and no horrible ones. Even with their 2 extra nc's, we fans have derived a much higher enjoyment level since 1980. BTW, we do have more Final 4's than them.

that you're posting it here says volumes. really, that you're here at all says volumes.
dumb@ss

Purvis wasn't good enough to excel at NC State, so him dropping down to a mid-major like uconn makes perfect sense.

Purvis wasn't good enough to play at NC State, so he had to drop down to a mid-major to get more meaningful minutes. Him landing at uconn makes perfect sense.

Great slam, Michael Gbingie.

I swear some people don't think before they try and slam others. Purvis played 25+ minutes a game and put up 10 points per game, how did Gbingie do at Duke? I happen to think both are good players who were in less than ideal situations based on their skill sets, but my lord.

I might have have exaggerated when I said there there was no comparison between us and them. However, we have won 20 or more since JB has been here every year except for 2 seasons, and one of those we won 19. Our only "down" year since he's been here was a 16-11 record over 25 years ago. We were sub .500 in the Big East ONCE with a record of 7-9. What I'm saying is we have a good competitive team each and every year. They have had several very good seasons and several horrible ones. We have had several very good seasons and no horrible ones. Even with their 2 extra nc's, we fans have derived a much higher enjoyment level since 1980. BTW, we do have more Final 4's than them.

I swear I have to say it every time but Cuse and UConn are extremely close. Every metric says that. ESPN's listing of the top 50 programs over the past 50 years had UConn and Cuse back to back at 8 and 9 (though Cuse's point total was questionable, they were the only program where the decade totals did not add up to the final total, IIRC). Assuming the point totals were correct than Cuse is ahead by one spot in the college basketball world right now.

As for the highlighted part, it's absurd to say any fanbase has derived more enjoyment.

McCullough>Hamilton.

Move on.

Not sure how that is related, I believe the point was that UConn was still recruiting well, not that Cuse isn't. It's not a zero sum game with UConn and Cuse recruiting well.

For the record, McCullough does have the potential to be the best in his class, Kevin Garnettesque. He doesn't always show up though, not sure he has the Garnett fire yet.

Hamilton is more like Rip Hamilton and may take a few years to be a top NBA pick, but is an outstanding scorer.

While you're not necessarily wrong, there's about 30 teams in the country that think they have 1 player that's about to become elite, and 3 or 4 other players who are either really good or on the cusp of being really good.

I feel like every thread involving UConn turns into the same posts; everyone saying their irrelevant, then you chiming in saying you're positioned for a run and how everyone is improved from last year.

Daniels is a stud. Calhoun is really good (needs to work on his dribble though). Bazz is really good and will win several games by himself. Boatright is meh. Everyone else is meh. That frontcourt might be able to hold it's own in the AAC most games, but unless Nolan or Facey breakout, it's going to have major issues against any team with decent size, either OOC or in the tournament. Facey ideally needs to sit a year and develop I'd think, but he'll be forced into time. Wolf is what he is. Nolan showed flashes last year, but he has a massive amount of work do in the summer if he wants to impact player enxt year. Otherwise you're way too perimeter orientated and if you have a bad shooting game you could lose to anybody.

I agree with the first paragraph.

You do realize that Cuse has as many question marks (if not more) in the back court? and front court?

I get you hate/dislike Boatright and that's fine, but my question is, what are you basing your opinion of Facey on? Every game I've seen him play in, has lead me to believe he can contribute next year in the post in UConn's two areas of need (rebounding and shot-blocking). He may not be the most skilled in the post on offense but he won't be called on to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom