Anything less than a top 25 season next year should be unacceptable | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Anything less than a top 25 season next year should be unacceptable

UVa demanded that Mendhenhall make changes to his staff, he declined and stepped away rather than do it.

That's how ADs [or GMs at the professional level] make things uncomfortable for coaches that they are trying to gently coax out the door.

And you are right -- JB continuing to do the same things while the results suffer might prompt the AD to take a more direct approach.
That would be such a weird way for it go down. I think that’s a bad look for both sides.

I assume the only Public statement will be that JB is retiring - it’s clean, believable, and it won’t spark any drama or rumors. As far as what ACTUALLY happens behind the scenes? I assume it will not be that nice and tidy

That would be such a weird way for it go down. I think that’s a bad look for both sides.

I assume the only Public statement will be that JB is retiring - it’s clean, believable, and it won’t spark any drama or rumors. As far as what ACTUALLY happens behind the scenes? I assume it will not be that nice and tidy
I think that's the correct way.

Roy Williams was calling rumors of his retirement crazy three weeks before he announced his retirement.
"I’ve got a dadgum contract through 2028 ... I'm coaching my butt off,” Williams added. “And that's what I'm concerned about. But let’s put all this other stuff to rest. There's no master plan. There's no minor plan. I'm doing what I've done my whole life.”

I think that's the correct way.

Roy Williams was calling rumors of his retirement crazy three weeks before he announced his retirement.
"I’ve got a dadgum contract through 2028 ... I'm coaching my butt off,” Williams added. “And that's what I'm concerned about. But let’s put all this other stuff to rest. There's no master plan. There's no minor plan. I'm doing what I've done my whole life.”
this is actually a very instructive reminder

Agree. The turnaround can be quicker than people think.

Bottom line - is Jim Boeheim the best coach for SU in 2022 and going forward? I think the only people that are still saying yes are saying that for nostalgia reasons... and that's not good logic and reasoning.
I am saying that cause I am not ready to do the coach after JB thing and struggle.. History says it will be really tough... Its not Nostalgia

Yes JB will be gone soon enough but this is absurd with the mob ready to run him off now.. Again I just don't understand why things like top 25 is so important...It's not, when we have been to the tourney and made good runs lately. Top 25 is meaningless.

In my personal opinion I have enjoyed watching JB coach these last 8 years thru the ACC switch.. Nothing outside the court has gone our way and he has coached the Hell out of this team.
1.We moved to a new conference that is all about money and not a good fit
2. We had sanctions on our team and hurt our recruiting
3. Covid for 2 years in NY
4. JB's accident where person died
5. Not a bad thing, but pressure of coaching sons
6. immediate Transfer portal creation

Add in that this isn't 1990, College Hoops has so much more parody... Mid Majors are not afraid to go into the dome, or cameron, or Rupp anymore... And our scheduling is 100 times better, even a terrible GTown team is a tough game for us cause they are a rival... Not like them playing other teams..

Dude has coached his ass off and carried this team thru all that.. Show a little respect and let him finish his last couple year.. He is not ruining Cuse basketball!

And this what I'm saying. The AD can not make any public demands. A very bad look for him. And in any case, JB can simply say, "nah ain't going to do it, go ahead and fire me" and we're back with the AD in a REALLY bad spot.

JB can simply say, "nah ain't going to do it, go ahead and fire me" and we're back with the AD in a REALLY bad spot.
could very well already be the case

Last edited:
Yes JB will be gone soon enough but this is absurd with the mob ready to run him off now.. Again I just don't understand why things like top 25 is so important...It's not, when we have been to the tourney and made good runs lately. Top 25 is meaningless.
Ok, fine, lets get rid of the top 25...when was the last time we went into the tourney with an actual shot to win the championship. Like where we could possibly beat any team we face.

IMO, 2014?

Thats 8 years ago. 8.

Ok, fine, lets get rid of the top 25...when was the last time we went into the tourney with an actual shot to win the championship. Like where we could possibly beat any team we face.

IMO, 2014?

Thats 8 years ago. 8.
That’s like 5-6 teams a year, and half are normally Duke, Kansas and Kentucky, sorry we’re just not those programs, never have been and probably never will be. Syracuse will have good years where they’re talked about dark as horses for the FF, maybe once where they’re considered a favorite every 20 or so years, but never will they have the consistent success of those other blue bloods, just a different level.

Edit; also, I wouldn’t go in with the new coach expecting that to change, those other big name teams will still be pumping out top draft picks because talent begets more talent.

I am saying that cause I am not ready to do the coach after JB thing and struggle.. History says it will be really tough... Its not Nostalgia

In my personal opinion I have enjoyed watching JB coach these last 8 years thru the ACC switch.. Nothing outside the court has gone our way and he has coached the Hell out of this team.
1.We moved to a new conference that is all about money and not a good fit
2. We had sanctions on our team and hurt our recruiting
3. Covid for 2 years in NY
4. JB's accident where person died
5. Not a bad thing, but pressure of coaching sons
6. immediate Transfer portal creation

Add in that this isn't 1990, College Hoops has so much more parody... Mid Majors are not afraid to go into the dome, or cameron, or Rupp anymore... And our scheduling is 100 times better, even a terrible GTown team is a tough game for us cause they are a rival... Not like them playing other teams..

Dude has coached his ass off and carried this team thru all that.. Show a little respect and let him finish his last couple year.. He is not ruining Cuse basketball!
He kinda is. With no hope for future improvements, why should he be given the doubt considering he’s the oldest coach around?

That’s like 5-6 teams a year, and half are normally Duke, Kansas and Kentucky, sorry we’re just not those programs, never have been and probably never will be. Syracuse will have good years where they’re talked about dark as horses for the FF, maybe once where they’re considered a favorite every 20 or so years, but never will they have the consistent success of those other blue bloods, just a different level.

Edit; also, I wouldn’t go in with the new coach expecting that to change, those other big name teams will still be pumping out top draft picks because talent begets more talent.
We are on different spectrums here. It’s more than 5 or 6 teams a year. Any of our teams from 08-14 could have won a title. They all were better than 2 UConn teams that actually won titles.

We’ve had multiple teams each decade that have been a 4 seed or higher. That is what I consider title contending teams.

We are on different spectrums here. It’s more than 5 or 6 teams a year. Any of our teams from 08-14 could have won a title. They all were better than 2 UConn teams that actually won titles.

We’ve had multiple teams each decade that have been a 4 seed or higher. That is what I consider title contending teams.
yeah, you are gonna have weird runs here and there, matchup problems, etc. in the tourney
I get that.

I think what you are saying is dead on what I was thinking
The tourney starts and regardless of who's in the bracket, we think we can beat anyone.

Even 2016, going in, I don't think we were like OH Yeah, we got this.
I think if we play UNC 10 times that year, we win prob once.
Hell, UVA we probably win once which just happened to be the "Richardson has gone mad" game.

But that span you detailed, every year I felt we could beat whomever. 2014 was probably even false hope from the undefeated start of the season, but that was still #1 team in the country for a month.

We are on different spectrums here. Any of our teams from 08-14 could have won a title. They all were better than 2 UConn teams that actually won titles.
10, 12 sure. The rest were dark horse FF picks at best. Especially considering how the 14 team fell apart down the stretch.

10, 12 sure. The rest were dark horse FF picks at best. Especially considering how the 14 team fell apart down the stretch.
No. You’re wrong.

3 and 4 seeds win titles all the time.

in 2014 UConn was a 7 seed and won. You can’t retroactively go back and say they weren’t a title contender. The team that won was significantly worse than us and maybe the worst title winning team ever.

In 2013 we beat the National Title winner on their home floor and were 2 possessions away from playing them again.

Our 2011 team beat UConn in Storrs and they won the title. We got screwed with a bad call against Scoop in a horrible matchup against Marquette.

alright, let's take this subtle goal-post-repositioning at face value - have any of the JB's teams since '14 been even remotely in the vicinity of dark-horse FF picks at any point during any of those seasons?
No, but I’m just level setting expectations, the golden age of syracuse basketball is on par with the yearly results of the blue bloods, so expecting syracuse to do that in perpetuity is unrealistic.

No. You’re wrong.

3 and 4 seeds win titles all the time.

in 2014 UConn was a 7 seed and won. You can’t retroactively go back and say they weren’t a title contender. The team that won was significantly worse than us and maybe the worst title winning team ever.

In 2013 we beat the National Title winner on their home floor and were 2 possessions away from playing them again.

Our 2011 team beat UConn in Storrs and they won the title. We got screwed with a bad call against Scoop in a horrible matchup against Marquette.
Well with your logic every team in the tournament has a chance to win because they’re all in the tournament. As an FYI five 3/4 seeds have won the tournament in the modern era… not sure I’d call that “all the time”

No, but I’m just level setting expectations, the golden age of syracuse basketball is on par with the yearly results of the blue bloods, so expecting syracuse to do that in perpetuity is unrealistic.
is expecting us to be on par with say a current day Texas Tech or Wisconsin unrealistic in your opinion?

Well with your logic every team in the tournament has a chance to win because they’re all in the tournament. As an FYI five 3/4 seeds have won the tournament in the modern era… not sure I’d call that “all the time”
Do you think expecting Syracuse to finish in the top 5 of the ACC and get a non-bubble NCAAT seed most years is expecting too much?

We were one of them.

Our 2013 team metrically is better than 2003. They won 30
games and finished second in a much tougher conference than we are in now.

And nobody is expecting a 2010 like team every year.

One or two NiT teams a decade is fine. We should
not be on the bubble 8 straight years.

Our sister program(Arizona) to the west didn’t put up with this garbage and we shouldn’t either.

is expecting us to be on par with say a current day Texas Tech or Wisconsin unrealistic in your opinion?
It’s totally realistic, Texas tech had a long down period from 2008-2016, they’re in an upswing, Wisconsin is probably a fairer overall comparison of a school syracuse should be on par with.

Do you think expecting Syracuse to finish in the top 5 of the ACC and get a non-bubble NCAAT seed most years is expecting too much?
No, that’s a fair expectation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom