AP poll - SU #11 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

AP poll - SU #11

If they didn't lay eggs at home to two very subpar teams, I'd be upset. But it happened, and this is pretty much expected.

If they didn't lay eggs at home to two very subpar teams, I'd be upset. But it happened, and this is pretty much expected.

If that didn't happen we would still be in the top 4.

We were 7th before the week and we lost at home to a bad team. That's how the polls work. 99% of the pollsters aren't comparing full season resumes.

I feel like this means voters filled out their ballots Saturday night and didn't factor in our win yesterday.

Such BS. San Diego St lost and moved up 2 spots. Duke and KU barely move with a loss. SU gets punished (a bad loss at home but without a key player).

They did? To whom?

Not a big deal - team just went 2-4 to end the season with home losses to a pitiful BC team and a bad GTech. Easy way to get back to the top 5 or 6 is make a run to the ACC tourney finals. Team dug themselves a hole, now they have an opportunity to climb back out.
Exactly.

I refuse to look.

Duke and Kansas are ahead of us, aren't they.

"What have you done for me lately" argument does not explain Kansas ranked that high. Without Embid they are not a top 10 team, possibly not even top 20. Pollsters can't assume that he will be back in the future if they are voting on "where the teams are right now at this point in time". I don't really care if Syracuse is ranked low with the loss the past week but that's just total homerism to have an 8 loss Kansas team with their best player possibly done for the season be that high for no reason.

I don't think I've ever seen an 8 loss team be in top 10 during regular season ever before. The only plausible scenario I can come up with for that to happen is for them to beat both a #1 and #2 team in last couple of weeks. Total joke. Also they beat Wichita State by 15 without Embid on a neutral court, but that's a different argument.

Fortunately this will have no bearing on the selection committee. But when you're top 3 teams are from the SEC, MVC and new Big East that just tells you how worthless the poll really is. Bottom line is over the course of the season SU should be ranked 4th. That's how the polls usually work. Only 3 teams that matter have fewer losses than SU and if Wichita had a couple losses they should be behind us. If SU makes the ACC final I think they'll get a 2 seed which I think is key this year. mainly because I'd rather not have to beat a #1 and a #2 to make the FF. Grant's back and Cooney's shot will determine SU's success the rest of the is season.

#11 is quite reasonable considering how horrible we have looked. Fortunately we have some momentum we can carry into the ACCT.

I feel like this means voters filled out their ballots Saturday night and didn't factor in our win yesterday.
It's like they're counting the GT loss as 2 losses.

raf4488 said:
Are we the first 4 loss major conference team ever ranked outside the top 10 at the end of the regular season?

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but we had 4 losses in 03 at the end of the regular season and were ranked out of the top 10.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but we had 4 losses in 03 at the end of the regular season and were ranked out of the top 10.
Yeah, it's amazing to think we were 24-5 heading into the tournament that year because 1) that's still a damn fine record, and it got us a 3 and 2) how the hell did we play so few regular season games that year?

"What have you done for me lately" argument does not explain Kansas ranked that high. Without Embid they are not a top 10 team, possibly not even top 20. Pollsters can't assume that he will be back in the future if they are voting on "where the teams are right now at this point in time". I don't really care if Syracuse is ranked low with the loss the past week but that's just total homerism to have an 8 loss Kansas team with their best player possibly done for the season be that high for no reason.

I don't think I've ever seen an 8 loss team be in top 10 during regular season ever before. The only plausible scenario I can come up with for that to happen is for them to beat both a #1 and #2 team in last couple of weeks. Total joke. Also they beat Wichita State by 15 without Embid on a neutral court, but that's a different argument.

The polls, for better or worse, aren't relaly gonna take that into account. Its where you where last week + what you did over the course of the week. Which is why they are pretty much meaningless. KU has played a ridiculous schedule, which isn't necessarily a defense of their ranking but you can't just say 8 losses like it means the same thing for every team.

Just scanning some old polls; Michigan was 23-8 and #10 in the last poll of the regular season in 2012. Ohio State was 5th with 7 losses in 2010.

On the other side, Georgetown was 11th with 4 losses in 2008. BC was 24-3 and 14th in 2005. Has probably already been mentioned we were 23-4 and 11th in 2003.

Yeah, it's amazing to think we were 24-5 heading into the tournament that year because 1) that's still a damn fine record, and it got us a 3 and 2) how the hell did we play so few regular season games that year?

No exempt tourny that year, right?

With all of the losses this week by top teams and our solid away win that "should" change right back next week.

Are we the first 4 loss major conference team ever ranked outside the top 10 at the end of the regular season?

That's the part that is most frustrating. 4 losses, and we would be a three seed if the tournament started today.

More like 4 losses to match KU's 8.

I'm not saying I agree with it all the way, but you can't just compare losses, you do need to compare wins as well. Kansas has 6 wins against the RPI top 25, we have 3. They have 6 more wins against 26-50, we have 4 more. Our top 50 RPI wins include one road (Pitt) and 2 neutral Minnesota and Baylor), none of whom are in the top 25 RPI. Kansas has 4 RPI top 25 wins on road/neutral sites.

If Embiid is out, forget it. But they have a really strong resume; their league this year was full of good teams and they played a lot of good teams out of the league as well.

We played in the preseason NIT didn't we? Wasn't that why we played Memphis in MSG to open the season?

That was just a one off, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom