Archie Miller to Indiana | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Archie Miller to Indiana

Not sure who everyone thought they would get. Goes to show you guys are content where they are at. Archie is a solid hire and he is the type of hire we will be making, most likely, when JB decides to hang em up

Not sure who everyone thought they would get. Goes to show you guys are content where they are at. Archie is a solid hire and he is the type of hire we will be making, most lily, when JB decides to hang em up

I hope we aim much higher than Sean's little brother.

No thanks.

I hope we aim much higher than Sean's little brother.

No thanks.

Then you will be disappointed. Archie Miller has been the hottest HC name the past 2 -3 years. Not sure how much better you think we will be able to do when the time comes unless you are part of the group that believes we can get J wright or mark few.

Then you will be disappointed. Archie Miller has been the hottest HC name the past 2 -3 years. Not sure how much better you think we will be able to do when the time comes unless you are part of the group that believes we can get J wright or mark few.
If he was the hottest name in coaching, Indiana would be paying him more than what's being reported.

What the hell does any of that have to do with whether I dislike Miller? Disappointed about what?

Holy agenda.

I have disliked the Millers since Sean played at Pitt. Didn't like his brother at NC State, either. I don't root for either of them to succeed. I certainly won't root for Arch at IU, for reasons that have everything to do with the Hoosiers and zero to do with Miller himself.

I'm an SU fan, not a Miller family fan.

At more than 3m a year would put him just inside the top 10 highest paid coaches in NCAAB
He got less than Underwood. He wasn't overpaid. Indiana could have paid more if the candidate deserved it.

Chris Mack has more tournament success than Archie Miller.

Mack, Holtzman from Butler would have been my backups if Alford was a no.

If the hire was going to be Miller I would have given Crean another year. With a healthy team. Miller isn't necessarily an upgrade from a Crean.

Mack is a Xavier alum. Not sure he's going anywhere.

View attachment 93512
The fact Underwood got more than Miller tells me Illinois was desperate to hire Underwood while Indiana wasn't desperate for Miller.

Miller is losing nearly the entire nucleus of his Dayton squad to graduation. He had to strike now because some lean years lie ahead for Dayton.

Mack is a Xavier alum. Not sure he's going anywhere.
Thad Matta is a Butler alum. He left Butler for a payday from Xavier. He left Xavier for a payday from Ohio State.

Todd Lickliter was a Butler alum and he left Butler for a payday from Iowa.

Coaches will leave their alma maters for $$$ and a better job. Mack isn't leaving for a non-elite job. Indiana could have thrown $$$ at him and it would have been hard to say no.

Miller is losing nearly the entire nucleus of his Dayton squad to graduation. He had to strike now because some lean years lie ahead for Dayton.
Exactly. They have lean years ahead. When Brad Stevens left Butler the job was setup for success and Holtmann has kept it going.
Miller is cashing on Scoohie Smith dominating the A-10 without a safety for the next year. He hasn't shown he can bring elite talent to Dayton. It has been program 4 year guards who can dominate a non P6 conference.

I don't think Archie has shown enough to get a top 10 job and feel confident he is a sure thing.
Overall record 139–63 (.688)
A-10 record 68–34 (.667)
NCAA tournament record 4-4 in 6 years.

Good luck to him.

If Crean took care of business vs Syracuse in 2013, he wouldn't have been fired
Not sure about that either. I think he still would have needed to win two or three more games.

But yeah, we can act like this is simply a game of "If we had eggs," except it isn't. Miller hasn't accomplished anything in the tournament aside from the Elite Eight run. We are his claim to fame.

kinda of topic but Xavier's last few coaches are Mack, Miller, Thad Matta, Skip Prosser, and Pete Gillen.

That's a lot of hires without a miss.
and alot of exits to not feel like a stepping stone

Do people forget how awful we were offensively against Dayton in 2o14. We made one shot outside of the paint the entire game and lost 55-53.
Dayton vs. Syracuse - Game Summary - March 22, 2014 - ESPN

Look at the freaking shot chart in that link.

Archie Miller = Tom Penders 2.0 like in 1988. He is cashing in taking a great job and will be mediocre and back at a midmajor in the next decade.

Thad Matta is a Butler alum. He left Butler for a payday from Xavier. He left Xavier for a payday from Ohio State.

Todd Lickliter was a Butler alum and he left Butler for a payday from Iowa.

Coaches will leave their alma maters for $$$ and a better job. Mack isn't leaving for a non-elite job. Indiana could have thrown $$$ at him and it would have been hard to say no.

I'm not talking about Miller. Talking about Mack.

Exactly. They have lean years ahead. When Brad Stevens left Butler the job was setup for success and Holtmann has kept it going.
Miller is cashing on Scoohie Smith dominating the A-10 without a safety for the next year. He hasn't shown he can bring elite talent to Dayton. It has been program 4 year guards who can dominate a non P6 conference.

I don't think Archie has shown enough to get a top 10 job and feel confident he is a sure thing.
Overall record 139–63 (.688)
A-10 record 68–34 (.667)
NCAA tournament record 4-4 in 6 years.

Good luck to him.

He is an absolute step up over Crean.

I'm not talking about Miller. Talking about Mack.
Right and my point was showing you other coaches you left their alma maters for P5 jobs and insane raises.

Mack is a Xavier alum but Thad Matta and Todd Lickliter left their alma maters for paydays.

Miller is a NC State alum and we all knew was going to leave Dayton.

Tom Crean was Archie Miller. Love how a guy gets fired and people say he was terrible. Crean was in the exact same position as Miller is now. The hot head coach from a lower level program.

He is an absolute step up over Crean.
I think Crean did more at Marquette than Miller did at Dayton.

Crean took a Conference USA team and got thme to the Final Four in 2003. He was competitive every year in the Big East as well and took the Indiana job.

Miller rode his brothers coattails and then got the Dayton job after Brian Gregory left for Georgia Tech.

I don't think he has recruited that well to Dayton. So we don't know if he is brother. Who recruited really well at Xavier before going to Arizona.

Right and my point was showing you other coaches you left their alma maters for P5 jobs and insane raises.

Mack is a Xavier alum but Thad Matta and Todd Lickliter left their alma maters for paydays.

Miller is a NC State alum and we all knew was going to leave Dayton.

Mack has been approached in the past and didn't leave. Going to the Sweet 16 is not a new gig for him. He grew up in Cinci, played at Xavier and his wife is also from Ohio. It was mentioned how other coaches have left Xavier. Big difference is that Xavier was not in the BE during any of those coach's tenures. He may leave Xavier at some point but it's far from a foregone conclusion.

Doesn't change the fact that it was the back to back final games that got everyone's attention. I'm not saying brad isn't a great coach. just that games can be played all the time about someone else accomplishments. I was thinking just the other day that the Browns won the NFL title in '64. What if Ernie Davis didn't get sick. Could thye have been a powerhouse in '62, '63, '64 and '65? What would that have done to Lombardi's legacy? Stevens made the most of a big break.

I love how it's gospel that we win if AO doesn't get hurt.

I think Crean did more at Marquette than Miller did at Dayton.

Crean took a Conference USA team and got thme to the Final Four in 2003. He was competitive every year in the Big East as well and took the Indiana job.

Miller rode his brothers coattails and then got the Dayton job after Brian Gregory left for Georgia Tech.

I don't think he has recruited that well to Dayton. So we don't know if he is brother. Who recruited really well at Xavier before going to Arizona.

You don't think he'll recruit better now that he'll be at IU? Crean sucked at IU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom