Archie Miller to Indiana | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Archie Miller to Indiana

Not sure about that either. I think he still would have needed to win two or three more games.

But yeah, we can act like this is simply a game of "If we had eggs," except it isn't. Miller hasn't accomplished anything in the tournament aside from the Elite Eight run. We are his claim to fame.

That's fine until you consider the last time UD did anything in the NCAAs was around 1970.

Mack has been approached in the past and didn't leave. Going to the Sweet 16 is not a new gig for him. He grew up in Cinci, played at Xavier and his wife is also from Ohio. It was mentioned how other coaches have left Xavier. Big difference is that Xavier was not in the BE during any of those coach's tenures. He may leave Xavier at some point but it's far from a foregone conclusion.
When Thad Matta gets fired and Ohio State allows him to stay in-state and will pay him insane money. Good bye Xavier and hello Columbus.
Mack will eventually sell out like all Xavier coaches before him and Xavier will hire a good replacement and keep on rolling.

If you follow or understand soccer Xavier is Athletico Madrid and Ohio State is Real Madrid. Eventually the lesser club loses their guy to the big dog. Indiana is going to regret not going all-in for Mack if they didn't.

You don't think he'll recruit better now that he'll be at IU? Crean sucked at IU.
Crean recruited well. Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Noah Vonleh, Thomas Bryant, James Blackmon Jr.

They had talent. Crean was an awful in-game coach.

Miller didn't recruit like his brother did at Xavier or Crean did at Marquette. He better hope he recruits better now that he is at Indiana.

Crean recruited well. Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Noah Vonleh, Thomas Bryant, James Blackmon Jr.

Miller didn't recruit like his brother did at Xavier or Crean did at Marquette. He better hope he recruits better now that he is at Indiana.
mostly agree w this - not sure how A.Miller is being billed as a fierce recruiter

Little bit easier to recruit at IU than at UD, no?

Just a little history update. Seems that the primary recollection here is that Miller's success in the NCAAs was limited to his win against SU in 2014. In 2014 he also beat Ohio State and Stanford and made it to the Elite 8. In 2015 he beat Boise State and Providence in the NCAAs as well. I think that people that follow college hoops know that he can coach. Not like UD was known as a college hoops hotbed prior to his arrival. He won more NCAA games at UD than all of the coaches before him over the previous 40 years.

I hope we aim much higher than Sean's little brother.

No thanks.

I think we aim high but that doesn't mean we land a whale.

Little bit easier to recruit at IU than at UD, no?
Yes, but he is recruiting at Dayton wasn't anything close to Crean at Marquette or his brother at Xavier.

He isn't a sure thing. Obviously he will have the support of being at Indiana but I am looking at this objectively as I don't hate Indiana or Miller to be honest. I just don't see him as this sure thing. His brother recruited well at Xavier. He has \had Scoohie Smith and undersized bigs.

Tom Crean was Archie Miller. Love how a guy gets fired and people say he was terrible. Crean was in the exact same position as Miller is now. The hot head coach from a lower level program.

Crean was a Big East coach when he left. Maybe not an elite BE job, but not exactly lower level.

Yes, but he is recruiting at Dayton wasn't anything close to Crean at Marquette or his brother at Xavier.

He isn't a sure thing. Obviously he will have the support of being at Indiana but I am looking at this objectively as I don't hate Indiana or Miller to be honest. I just don't see him as this sure thing. His brother recruited well at Xavier. He has \had Scoohie Smith and undersized bigs.

Nothing is a sure thing. But your logic leads to no other conclusion than that the man can coach. You're saying he had no talent yet he won five NCAA games in 2014/2015 combined.

When Thad Matta gets fired and Ohio State allows him to stay in-state and will pay him insane money. Good bye Xavier and hello Columbus.
Mack will eventually sell out like all Xavier coaches before him and Xavier will hire a good replacement and keep on rolling.

If you follow or understand soccer Xavier is Athletico Madrid and Ohio State is Real Madrid. Eventually the lesser club loses their guy to the big dog. Indiana is going to regret not going all-in for Mack if they didn't.

Atletico

Just a little history update. Seems that the primary recollection here is that Miller's success in the NCAAs was limited to his win against SU in 2014. In 2014 he also beat Ohio State and Stanford and made it to the Elite 8. In 2015 he beat Boise State and Providence in the NCAAs as well. I think that people that follow college hoops know that he can coach. Not like UD was known as a college hoops hotbed prior to his arrival. He won more NCAA games at UD than all of the coaches before him over the previous 40 years.
2014 was an outlier. Again we played so bad offensively I don't think they win that game more than 2 times out of 10. We made one shot outside the paint and lost by 2 points. They beat Ohio State and 10 seed Stanford give them credit for that.
2015 again swift thru the facts. They played Boise State AT HOME in the First Four. Color me impressed they beat Boise State at home by 2 points. Then they got to play Providence in Columbus. Wow they beat Providence in a de facto home game close to home.

These runs don't impress me. Also, UD has dominated the A-10 post Xavier/Butler/Temple leaving the conference.
Indiana could do a lot better.

He's at Dayton! Just making the tournament shows he can coach.

Nothing is a sure thing. But your logic leads to no other conclusion than that the man can coach. You're saying he had no talent yet he won five NCAA games in 2014/2015 combined.
He can coach sure. I am not impressed with his record. He has kept his guys and had solid guards. Solid guards cover up a mediocre team in a one and done tournament.
Dayton's roster next year will tell how good a job Miller did. If his successor has not much it speaks volumes to the foundation he had.

The A-10 has lost Xavier/Butler/Temple.
The conference is now Dayton, VCU, St. Joe's as the leaders. Secondary Rhode Island, Richmond, Davidson.
Dayton should be good in that conference now. Miller and the Flyers have filled that vaccum.

2014 was an outlier. Again we played so bad offensively I don't think they win that game more than 2 times out of 10. We made one shot outside the paint and lost by 2 points. They beat Ohio State and 10 seed Stanford give them credit for that.
2015 again swift thru the facts. They played Boise State AT HOME in the First Four. Color me impressed they beat Boise State at home by 2 points. Then they got to play Providence in Columbus. Wow they beat Providence in a de facto home game close to home.

These runs don't impress me. Also, UD has dominated the A-10 post Xavier/Butler/Temple leaving the conference.

You ridicule his record as if he coaches at some P5 powerhouse. He has coached at Dayton for God's sake.

He can coach sure. I am not impressed with his record. He has kept his guys and had solid guards. Solid guards cover up a mediocre team in a one and done tournament.
Dayton's roster next year will tell how good a job Miller did. If his successor has not much it speaks volumes to the foundation he had.

No his performance at IU will tell you how well Miller has done.

So he gets good guards, keeps them for years and wins tournament games. Sounds good to me.

So whom should IU have hired?

So he gets good guards, keeps them for years and wins tournament games. Sounds good to me.
He has made the second weekend one time. Good luck to him. We will all see how good he is now that he has an elite job.

He has made the second weekend one time. Good luck to him. We will all see how good he is now that he has an elite job.

Isn't he still coaching in the NBA. And he left Iowa St which he probably treasures more than a job at Indiana.

Not really. Brian Gregory and Oliver Purnell both won at UD preceeding Miller. Both left for ACC jobs and both are now at lesser programs. Miller has never recruited a single top recruit to Dayton and his success also can be attributed being left behind in the A10 during the last realignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom