Archie Miller to Indiana | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Archie Miller to Indiana

Isn't he still coaching in the NBA. And he left Iowa St which he probably treasures more than a job at Indiana.
Bulls are imploding. Hoiberg could be had. That team is going to blow it up soon and rebuild.

Not really. Brian Gregory and Oliver Purnell both won at UD preceeding Miller. Both left for ACC jobs and both are now at lesser programs. Miller has never recruited a single top recruit to Dayton and his success also can be attributed being left behind in the A10 during the last realignment.

How many NCAA games did those two win?

I never realized Archie Miller had such a fierce following on this board, my goodness.

Nah just trying to figure out why anybody would ridicule him. He's had some pretty good success.

Nah just trying to figure out why anybody would ridicule him. He's had some pretty good success.
He is a good coach. He isn't somebody I would be happy if we hired post Jim Boeheim.
He got a top 10 job without leaving a cupboard full for his replacement. He hasn't recruited well at Dayton like other mid-majors have. I don't think the job he has done in a watered down A-10 has been that great.
Again good job by Miller. If he got the Illinois or NC State job I would say good fits. Getting Indiana with his resume doesn't strike me as a Indiana got the best they could.

I really fear for our future and people's hopes here reading this thread...
Well, Indiana fans aren't very thrilled with the hire either so maybe there's only 4 teams in the country who can hire proven, big time coaches?

How many NCAA games did those two win?
Don't care. I'm just relaying the fact that winning at Dayton isn't unusual for a decent Coach. He's not an outstanding hire. He's ok. Totally unproven as a recruiter at his own program though.

Don't care. I'm just relaying the fact that winning at Dayton isn't unusual for a decent Coach. He's not an outstanding hire. He's ok. Totally unproven as a recruiter at his own program though.

That's fine. Four consecutive years of 24 or more wins and five NCAA W's in that period is pretty decent imo. Looks like IU felt the same way.

Do people forget how awful we were offensively against Dayton in 2o14. We made one shot outside of the paint the entire game and lost 55-53.
Dayton vs. Syracuse - Game Summary - March 22, 2014 - ESPN

Look at the freaking shot chart in that link.

Archie Miller = Tom Penders 2.0 like in 1988. He is cashing in taking a great job and will be mediocre and back at a midmajor in the next decade.
Lol...

That's fine. Four consecutive years of 24 or more wins and five NCAA W's in that period is pretty decent imo. Looks like IU felt the same way.
He was atleast Indiana's 3rd choice. They wanted Brad Stevens or Steve Alford.

If they didn't pursue Mack over Miller that would be a mistake.

Miller is a nice coach we will see how he does in a big boy league. He is taking over a program that isn't garbage like his predecessor took over.

He was atleast Indiana's 3rd choice. They wanted Brad Stevens or Steve Alford.

If they didn't pursue Mack over Miller that would be a mistake.

Miller is a nice coach we will see how he does in a big boy league. He is taking over a program that isn't garbage like his predecessor took over.

You seem to have a strange affinity for Tom Crean. Not sure what he accomplished that impressed you.

Brad Stevens was never a realistic hire.

They are? He avgs 3mm per and has 1 less year

I am mistaken. I thought Miller was only getting 3 million per and had read Illinois offered Bennett 4.8 million. I had thought Underwood was given near that.

One name on my short list, Billy Donovan.
images

He's related to the Boeheim coaching tree via Rick Pitino, a proven winner w/ a great track record, Eastern ties as player at PC, and maybe looking for a final destination to finish his career.
Head Coach at Syracuse playing before 30K+ crowds, best conference in cbb...what more can u ask for?
He'd be perfect for the Cuse!

Just a little history update. Seems that the primary recollection here is that Miller's success in the NCAAs was limited to his win against SU in 2014. In 2014 he also beat Ohio State and Stanford and made it to the Elite 8. In 2015 he beat Boise State and Providence in the NCAAs as well. I think that people that follow college hoops know that he can coach. Not like UD was known as a college hoops hotbed prior to his arrival. He won more NCAA games at UD than all of the coaches before him over the previous 40 years.
Stanford was a #10 seed and Boise State was a play-in game. As Derrick Coleman would say, "Whoop-de-damn-do." If you think a pair of upset wins over #6 seeds is getting anyone a job at Indiana, more power to you.

I was bowling with an IU alum tonight and he had never heard of Archie Miller. 'Nuff said.

I was bowling with an IU alum tonight and he had never heard of Archie Miller. 'Nuff said.

Nuff said? Why because he's obviously not a very big fan of college basketball. Miller is probably best available out there. I would love for a guy like this to replace JB. It's a good hire. IU wasn't getting any of the coaches that fans were talking about

Also went to HS on Long Island. Long shot but he would be a good candidate for sure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom