Archie Miller to Indiana | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Archie Miller to Indiana

Mike Dunleavy.
Avery Johnson
Eric Musselman
Mark Price
All went from the NBA to college jobs.
We better start selling a lot more widgets.

Who was the last HC to go from the NBA to college, Pitino? (and not because they were fired like Cal)

Your friend doesn't follow college basketball if he had never heard of Archie Miller. We will be fortunate to do as well.
I would rather give Gerry McNamara the keys than hire the equivalent of an Archie Miller.

Archie Miller hasn't done anything to suggest he can deliver at a good job. He is riding the coattail of his brothers job at Arizona. Sean recruited well at Xavier in the A-10 and showed he had potential.
Sean made the NCAA tournament 4 of 5 years at Xavier.
He won the A-10 regular season 3 times.
He won the tournament another year.
All when the A-10 was better than it is now.
Sean made the Sweet 16 3 times in 5 years.
Another time he lost in OT in the second round to an Ohio State team that made the NC game and his team stupidly didn't foul up 3 at the end of the game.

Sean showed he was legit.

Archie has done less at Dayton. He inherited as decent squad. He hasn't recruited as well as his brother did.

He made one run because Tyler Ennis/Trevor cooney/Michael Gbinije and the entire Syracuse roster couldn't make one three for an entire game and beat us 55-53.

Since that run he has done nothing in the NCAA tournament outside a first round win.

They guy is using his brothers job performance to give off the image he can do the same. Sorry if I don't believe it.

GMac over Miller for me and you know what I think of the former as the next HC.

I would rather give Gerry McNamara the keys than hire the equivalent of an Archie Miller.

Archie Miller hasn't done anything to suggest he can deliver at a good job. He is riding the coattail of his brothers job at Arizona. Sean recruited well at Xavier in the A-10 and showed he had potential.
Sean made the NCAA tournament 4 of 5 years at Xavier.
He won the A-10 regular season 3 times.
He won the tournament another year.
All when the A-10 was better than it is now.
Sean made the Sweet 16 3 times in 5 years.
Another time he lost in OT in the second round to an Ohio State team that made the NC game and his team stupidly didn't foul up 3 at the end of the game.

Sean showed he was legit.

Archie has done less at Dayton. He inherited as decent squad. He hasn't recruited as well as his brother did.

He made one run because Tyler Ennis/Trevor cooney/Michael Gbinije and the entire Syracuse roster couldn't make one three for an entire game and beat us 55-53.

Since that run he has done nothing in the NCAA tournament outside a first round win.

They guy is using his brothers job performance to give off the image he can do the same. Sorry if I don't believe it.

GMac over Miller for me and you know what I think of the former as the next HC.
There is no logical basis for saying gmac over Archie. None. Gmac has done nothing as an ass't. Bad comparison. In the 7 years prior to archie becoming head coach at Dayton, Dayton made 1 NCAA tournament. They just made their 4th straight . Big difference.

There is no logical basis for saying gmac over Archie. None. Gmac has done nothing as an ass't. Bad comparison. In the 7 years prior to archie becoming head coach at Dayton, Dayton made 1 NCAA tournament. They just made their 4th straight . Big difference.
Xavier/Temple/Butler left the A-10 and that has happened? Coincidence or not?
4 straight in a watered down A-10.

I don't think the guy has done anything that makes me he is should get a top 10 job.

I don't want GMac as HC but he could easily be a better fit than some midmajor coach.

I am not impressed with Archie Miller's resume.

He hasn't gotten a seed higher than a 7 seed.
2014- 11 seed
2015- 11 seed- First Four
2016- 7 seed
2017 7 seed

Wow. He has been above average at a program that is described like this.

This guy is riding his family name. The hype is amazing. If we hired Miller I wouldn't be happy. If you said Mack okay.

Maybe I'm crazy but I would take Archie Miller over Gerry McNamara.
I was speaking in frustration. I don't want GMac but looking at Miller's resume and thinking he was the must hire sure prospect.

He has done a decent job at Dayton. Not great. His recruiting has been meh and the regular seasons have been Seton Hall ish.

Xavier/Temple/Butler left the A-10 and that has happened? Coincidence or not?
4 straight in a watered down A-10.

I don't think the guy has done anything that makes me he is should get a top 10 job.

I don't want GMac as HC but he could easily be a better fit than some midmajor coach.

I am not impressed with Archie Miller's resume.

He hasn't gotten a seed higher than a 7 seed.
2014- 11 seed
2015- 11 seed- First Four
2016- 7 seed
2017 7 seed

Wow. He has been above average at a program that is described like this.

This guy is riding his family name. The hype is amazing. If we hired Miller I wouldn't be happy. If you said Mack okay.
Do you think dayton is one of the better jobs in college basketball?

Do you think dayton is one of the better jobs in college basketball?
It's good if you consider the Archie Miller Era good enough.
I don't.
I think this job is good for a midmajor.
I don't think Miller did enough at Dayton to feel he will do good at Indiana.
The Hoosier fanbase if they have 2 years like the last 2 he had at Dayton will be all over him.

I was speaking in frustration. I don't want GMac but looking at Miller's resume and thinking he was the must hire sure prospect.

He has done a decent job at Dayton. Not great. His recruiting has been meh and the regular seasons have been Seton Hall ish.

I don't think you're far out there for being down on him. Aside from the elite 8 there's not much that separates him from Brian Gregory.

But I think they dodged one in Alford.

All those guys are cannon fodder
Avery Johnson had the highest regular season winning percentage when he was fired.
He took the Alabama job because he didn't want to wait for an NBA job.

Avery Johnson had the highest regular season winning percentage when he was fired.
I don't follow you. What do you mean that Avery Johnson had the highest regular winning % when he was fired?

I don't follow you. What do you mean that Avery Johnson had the highest regular winning % when he was fired?
He had the highest regular season win percentage.
He won games. Avery's problem was his team choked against Golden State as a 1 seed in 2008 and his team choked against Miami in the NBA Finals when they were up 2-0.

Avery could have gotten another NBA job after his Nets stint as that league recycles coaches like crazy and his resume was great. He took the Bama job to get right back into coaching.

My point is Billy Donovan isn't a likely option.

Are there any schools outside of Duke, UNC, UK and Kansas who could hire whoever they want?

I'm beginning to think that's a no.

Indiana didn't target Archie Miller, they settled on him.

I can't think of any schools outside those 4 who could just target a guy and most likely lock them down.

Are there any schools outside of Duke, UNC, UK and Kansas who could hire whoever they want?

I'm beginning to think that's a no.

Indiana didn't target Archie Miller, they settled on him.

I can't think of any schools outside those 4 who could just target a guy and most likely lock them down.

I mean even UNC had to settle for Matt Doherty when Roy shot them down the first time in 2000.

My point is Billy Donovan isn't a likely option.
Donovan will be an option for somebody in 2-3 years. He isn't a good pro coach and wanted a challenge. He thought he was going to have Durant and Westbrook.

Durant bolted and they are just a middle of the road NBA team. Westbrook resigned for 3 years.

Once he slows down and him and Donovan clash heads will happen Donovan will get canned.

Donovan will have gotten his insane NBA money and will have his choice of college jobs.

I think Donovan to Louisville post Pitino is most likely. He gets a great job and replaces his mentor and in a good spot. This could happen unless little Pitino is the guy.

I mean even UNC had to settle for Matt Doherty when Roy shot them down the first time in 2000.
UNC didn't settle. They hired the Big East COY from Notre Dame who was an alum and prodege of Roy Williams.

UNC didn't settle. They hired the Big East COY from Notre Dame who was an alum and prodege of Roy Williams.

Then we won't say they "settled" that's fine. But my point was that even UNC doesn't get their first choice all the time.

Your friend doesn't follow college basketball if he had never heard of Archie Miller. We will be fortunate to do as well.
Not as close as we do, no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom