At UNC. ACC refs | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

At UNC. ACC refs

Regarding the blocked punt 4th down controversy- I’m just as upset that nobody on defense had situational awareness on that play. The punter should never have had that much daylight. Ever. Blame the refs but just as much blame goes to special teams incompetence.

Regarding the blocked punt 4th down controversy- I’m just as upset that nobody on defense had situational awareness on that play. The punter should never have had that much daylight. Ever. Blame the refs but just as much blame goes to special teams incompetence.
We don't really have a well coached unit but specials do seem much better this year. Kickoffs always out of the end zone helps. Grasping though as no unit ever seems to get better.

There is no excuse. There is no way they didn't see it. Something is wrong with the review process with the ACC. It's clearly broken and somehow more broken for SU than our opponents. We've seen them review for our opponents fairly then not review or return highly controversial decisions. To have the lateral play last week and then this play this week back to back, along with the non review on the one catch - not to mention the same thing in previous years, it's a major problem. If there was a reporter willing to take it on and dig into the imbalance in how its used I think they have a damn good story. Seems something right up Axe's alley if he would be willing to take it on.

SUFB is very undisciplined, most penalties in FBS last season and still up there this season. Penalties also consistently get called against us while the opposition doesn’t get the same calls while committing the same penalties. Both can be true as it’s not mutually exclusive.

Not a “cheap excuse”, it’s a fact that is discussed almost weekly during conference play. Case in point, the targeting against Shrader last week. Care to explain to all of us what the indisputable evidence was to overturn the ruling on the field so quickly?
That was very clearly 100% not targeting. Very obvious on first review.

So what? They think Syracuse is a scrub football school that means calls go against the school? Does that mean that when Syracuse plays BC they get beneficial calls? How about versus Wake? Or Western Michigan?
Did you see the Purdue game with 2 fumble calls in the 4th quarter? I laughed during the game and remembered we still have to beat the refs even when they are our own refs. That's how it supposed to work in a non Connie right?

That was very clearly 100% not targeting. Very obvious on first review.
So obvious

A9D4317E-F964-48B6-B3DF-F01EC14BA8AA.jpeg

Not targeting. Nothing to see here
The brighter side of today's game was the second half. We limited them to 1 TD and 2 FG's. The D held them to 24 Yds. rushing for 30 minutes.

That was a block that had the luckiest bounce in UNC's favor ever. The punter catches it that way 1 out 10,000 times.

The brighter side of today's game was the second half. We limited them to 1 TD and 2 FG's. The D held them to 24 Yds. rushing for 30 minutes.
Less bright side is that the 1 TD and 2 FG still would have been enough to beat us.

You said the same thing last year didn’t you?
This is what I said after the Virginia game last year.

‘If SU was in the coastal this is a 9, 10, 11 win team, which I’ve said before. With the level of competition I think 8 wins would be great.”

And this is what I said Sept 2 this year.

“This schedule is set up for 10 wins, not sure the team is. Think 8-4 is a good target.

Start 4-0 go .500 rest of the way. Steal the Clemson game and it gets much easier.

Purdue is the key to an 8 win season

Clemson to a 10”

Not exactly controversial statements.

‘If SU was in the coastal this is a 9, 10, 11 win team, which I’ve said before. With the level of competition I think 8 wins would be great.”

“This schedule is set up for 10 wins, not sure the team is. Think 8-4 is a good target.

Start 4-0 go .500 rest of the way. Steal the Clemson game and it gets much easier.

Clemson to a 10”

Yep exactly. Other than the screw job by the refs against Clemson, which I truly believe ultimately Cost the game (this latest screw job would not have been the same we would not have beaten them), anyway, this is playing out exactly as I had anticipated. Right there with ya.
771FEE30-175D-499B-8C3B-7FA63D9A679D.png

Oh, for crying out loud. You’ve got to be kidding me?

Clemson to a 10”

Fair enough.

Last year we almost lost out, and we just got wiped off the field, so my confidence in a strong finish at the moment isn’t high, even if on paper the schedule looks setup to finish strong,

You said the same thing last year didn’t you?
It’s amazing that a few wins over some tomato cans can do for confidence, especially after a couple boat races by a down Clemson and a UNC team that’s had a couple tight battles. This team just isn’t that good, it wasn’t good last year and most likely won’t be that good next year.

It’s amazing that a few wins over some tomato cans can do for confidence, especially after a couple boat races by a down Clemson and a UNC team that’s had a couple tight battles. This team just isn’t that good, it wasn’t good last year and most likely won’t be that good next year.
UNC is very good.

Still it’s discouraging that teams like Minnesota, South Carolina, and Pitt can at least keep the scores relatively respectable (31-17, 31-13, and 41-24) when being outclassed and keep the game competitive for a half while scoring 10+ points in the first half at least(halftime scores were 17-14, 21-10, and 28-17).

While we get absolutely hammered, and it’s 27-0 at halftime.

Fair enough.

Last year we almost lost out, and we just got wiped off the field, so my confidence in a strong finish at the moment isn’t high, even if on paper the schedule looks setup to finish strong,
I guess your gotcha wasn’t one.

I guess your gotcha wasn’t one.
“We would’ve been good if we didn’t get hurt!” also isn’t the flex you think it is. True or not, nobody really cares. Unfortunately it’s part of the game.

Finish strong this year, no excuses. You’re acting like it’s already happened. I hope it does.

Last edited:
And the late hit call they ate the whistle on.

How about Justin Barron not getting ejected for the late 'extra twist' on that Clemson running back last week? It was an intent to injure and he should have been ejected, too.