Athletic Story on Hillsman | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Athletic Story on Hillsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a great look for Wildhack here:

The accusations appeared to came as a surprise to Wildhack who, just over a week before the report was released, dismissed concern over the rash of transfers by saying he “totally supported the values and standards of Hillsman.”

The support came despite allegations from The Athletic that multiple school and athletic department employees had received complaints about the head coach’s behavior over the years, including an athletic department official tasked with oversight of the program and multiple faculty members tasked with oversight of athletics.

Not a great look for Wildhack here:

The accusations appeared to came as a surprise to Wildhack who, just over a week before the report was released, dismissed concern over the rash of transfers by saying he “totally supported the values and standards of Hillsman.”

The support came despite allegations from The Athletic that multiple school and athletic department employees had received complaints about the head coach’s behavior over the years, including an athletic department official tasked with oversight of the program and multiple faculty members tasked with oversight of athletics.
Not a good look at all...

Oh I'll take a stab at this, $men'$ sport$ > women's sports might be the reason but I don't know JW so I hope I am wrong. He made a homerun hire with Kayla Treanor so maybe he can turn this around, I am hopeful.
I would hope that there was a legal reason based on professional legal advice that SU based it’s actions and inactions on in this fiasco. - Otherwise not good at all.

I would hope that there was a legal reason based on professional legal advice that SU based it’s actions and inactions on in this fiasco. - Otherwise not good at all.
Read on the Uconn site that someone thought the Marquette coach who played at Notre Dame, and has a great coaching record and only 37 might be the next coach.
Looking at the record she has and had a cup of coffee in the WNBA, it might be a homerun hire, her name is Megan Duffy

Read on the Uconn site that someone thought the Marquette coach who played at Notre Dame, and has a great coaching record and only 37 might be the next coach.
Looking at the record she has and had a cup of coffee in the WNBA, it might be a homerun hire, her name is Megan Duffy
I remember her - excellent player for Notre Dame. Didn’t even know she was a coach.

Stephen Bailey:

Syracuse AD John Wildhack speaking with media. Thanks 55+ individuals from WBB program who spoke with outside investigators. Said SU has made steps based on findings: coaching changes, increased accountability w/ anonymous online reporting system.

Wildhack: “To the student athletes and staff who had a poor experience in the program, I apologize.” On promoting Quentin Hillsman asst Vonn Read, JW said those within the program spoke highly of him as player/coach. Called him “architect” of program from on-court perspective.

Wildhack on endorsing Quentin Hillsman ahead of The Athletic’s report on his behavior: “We didn’t know anything at that time.” “There was a breakdown in systems and processes, and there was a breakdown in people who didn’t come forward.

Wildhack essentially declines to comment when asked about Vonn Read’s knowledge of the situation. He worked under Hillsman for a decade. Not exactly a transparent approach for an athletic department dealing with player safety/bullying concerns.

Wildhack: “We have proactively addressed the issues that we uncovered.” I’m pretty sure this isn’t what proactive means. No significant details being shared here.

It’s not uncommon for universities to keep investigation specifics close to the vest. They are advised by their attorney’s to do so.

Time is the best analysis on this. Do the new implementations effectively deal with the issues at hand or do they not support all of the findings needs for improvement.

ADJW has to answer to the Chancellor and Board of Trustees; those conversations will not be made public.

I hope that the university now gets that all athletes must be afforded respect; that’s not to say that they didn’t do what they thought best, previously.

There are some high caliber folks working in SU Athletics; engaged behind the scenes in relatively thankless roles.

We live in high stress times which we are all having to deal with, as best we can. I hope that all these issues are supported by staffing and programmatic changes that allow all our athletes to feel appreciated and supported.

Reactions: cto
I'm not impressed with the Athletic at all.

If this story was that important, why did they hide it behind a pay wall?

I guess trying to sign up a few more subscribers was a bigger priority to them then outing an abusive coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom