Awesome article (old) Big East coaches | Syracusefan.com

Awesome article (old) Big East coaches

the "worst" coach in the photo is Paul Evans and he won 400 games in his career.
and knocked SU and the pearl out of the 86 tourney with navy.

Pull the text for us dog.
I get the text from The Athletic on my phone but not my computer (i.e hard to copy paste). It's weird. Don't think the Admins would appreciate obliterating Fair Use. The article is a hilarious recounting of the disputes among the coaches. You can do a week free trial with The Athletic - would be worth it to read this.

Can't read the article but a cool photo of the old school Big East coaches. Some great ones in there. Arguably, the "worst" coach in the photo is Paul Evans and he won 400 games in his career.

I know it's bad form to reply to your own post but I just went back and a second peek of that photo. 5 of the 9 are Hall of Famers. Amazing. And of course the tenth guy in the picture is a Hall of Famer too.

Whatever did happen to Paul Evans? He had a .600 winning percentage at Pitt and was only 49 years old when he just disappeared, never coaching again.

Whatever did happen to Paul Evans? He had a .600 winning percentage at Pitt and was only 49 years old when he just disappeared never coaching again.

Got fired from Pitt in 1994 after going 13-14, and never resurfaced.

Whatever did happen to Paul Evans? He had a .600 winning percentage at Pitt and was only 49 years old when he just disappeared never coaching again.
Still living. Not sure what happened after Pitt. Doesn't look like he coached again at the college level. He played ball at Ithaca College and coached at St. Lawrence.

Still living. Not sure what happened after Pitt. Doesn't look like he coached again at the college level. He played ball at Ithaca College and coached at St. Lawrence.

Evans was a mentor to Emmett Davis, Colgate's longtime coach, at SLU and Navy. Emmett succeeded him on the staff at Navy, I think. If I remember correctly, he just wanted to take time off after Pitt fell apart in the early '90s.

He talked about much funnier anecdotes (Evans had a temper) from those years, but I'm kicking myself that I don't remember any of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom