B1G must strike East-Midwest balance | Syracusefan.com

B1G must strike East-Midwest balance

And there it is. Not cable boxes. They feared losing Penn State.

"the Big Ten felt it needed to protect Penn State and enhance its footprint, especially with a new TV contract on the horizon."
Not sure how you make that inference from this statement in the article. Sounds like they were more interested in increasing TV revenue than worried about losing penn state.

"the Big Ten felt it needed to protect Penn State and enhance its footprint, especially with a new TV contract on the horizon."
Not sure how you make that inference from this statement in the article. Sounds like they were more interested in increasing TV revenue than worried about losing penn state.
I didn't interpret it as fearing 'losing PSU', I interpreted 'protect' as not letting PSU's territory be encroached upon by a new, larger, and stronger ACC.

Among the many things I have said that had people - loads of average idiots - call me crazy for saying was that Penn St could be enticed to join the ACC.

I doubt that PSU was ever within an inch of making the leap. I think PSU's leaders preferred to have the BT toss them bones, but if they did not get the bones, then they would leave, providing the ACC gave them the schedule they wanted.

Jim Delany is the opposite of the WVU fools: he fears the ACC. As bad off as Maryland's athletics department finances are, Delany still had to bribe Maryland to leave by adding travel expenses to Maryland's deal.

Can you imagine the SEC giving travel costs to A&M or Mizzou to sweeten the deal enough to get them to take the offer? Can you imagine the ACC members agreeing to pay Syracuse travel costs to get SU into the ACC?

The BT was desperate to get Maryland into the BT, and' if you are desperate to get a fiscal basket case like Maryland, then you have major issues, no matter how rich your TV deals.

I didn't interpret it as fearing 'losing PSU', I interpreted 'protect' as not letting PSU's territory be encroached upon by a new, larger, and stronger ACC.
The ACC cannot be stopped from encroaching on 'PSU's territory.' Once we had Pitt and Syracuse, we had encroached, forever. The BT watering down its football product by adding RU and UMD cannot undo the ACC's encroaching into PSU's back yard.

Among the many things I have said that had people - loads of average idiots - call me crazy for saying was that Penn St could be enticed to join the ACC.

I doubt that PSU was ever within an inch of making the leap. I think PSU's leaders preferred to have the BT toss them bones, but if they did not get the bones, then they would leave, providing the ACC gave them the schedule they wanted.

Jim Delany is the opposite of the WVU fools: he fears the ACC. As bad off as Maryland's athletics department finances are, Delany still had to bribe Maryland to leave by adding travel expenses to Maryland's deal.

Can you imagine the SEC giving travel costs to A&M or Mizzou to sweeten the deal enough to get them to take the offer? Can you imagine the ACC members agreeing to pay Syracuse travel costs to get SU into the ACC?

The BT was desperate to get Maryland into the BT, and' if you are desperate to get a fiscal basket case like Maryland, then you have major issues, no matter how rich your TV deals.

I can't help but be fascinated by Jim Delany constantly talking about being in 2 regions. He's gone so far as to open offices all over creation to convince himself that he's in two regions. It's Napoleonic.

The ACC has added Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville. All of these are not in the original southern roots ACC. And I can't remember anyone talking about the ACC being in multiple regions. We talk about being on the Atlantic Coast, and the new members seem to have assimilated into the ACC like they had been here all along. Some of the farthest southern schools like FSU have complained about having to travel to the farthest northern locations while not being able to travel to Atlanta enough to play Georgia Tech. But they don't call the northern schools out as being in a foreign region.

The problem that Jim Delany has is that Maryland and Rutgers don't move the excitement needle for his existing membership in the least. They don't really move it in their respective home states. The Big Ten schools see Maryland and Rutgers as a travel burden to play schools that they have zero interest in playing in the first place. I'm not sure that Penn State fans get all that excited either.

Penn State would fit well in the ACC. But I don't see them making the change because there really isn't anything to drive the change. They would need to have a financial need, or be afraid of missing out on something. Perhaps if they get left out of the playoffs because the Big Ten schedule is deemed so weak by the committee or something. With the demographic shift of high school football talent into the southern part of the ACC, perhaps that could happen. James Franklin is holding a joint football camp in Atlanta with Georgia State to get access to Georgia kids this summer. A better solution would be for him to take his football team out of the league in the midwest and join one where he can actually play football games in front of the same Georgia kids and their parents every other year. That's my opinion.

Not unless and until the cable box revenue paradigm implodes. Then maybe.

I can't help but be fascinated by Jim Delany constantly talking about being in 2 regions. He's gone so far as to open offices all over creation to convince himself that he's in two regions. It's Napoleonic.

The ACC has added Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville. All of these are not in the original southern roots ACC. And I can't remember anyone talking about the ACC being in multiple regions. We talk about being on the Atlantic Coast, and the new members seem to have assimilated into the ACC like they had been here all along. Some of the farthest southern schools like FSU have complained about having to travel to the farthest northern locations while not being able to travel to Atlanta enough to play Georgia Tech. But they don't call the northern schools out as being in a foreign region.

The problem that Jim Delany has is that Maryland and Rutgers don't move the excitement needle for his existing membership in the least. They don't really move it in their respective home states. The Big Ten schools see Maryland and Rutgers as a travel burden to play schools that they have zero interest in playing in the first place. I'm not sure that Penn State fans get all that excited either.

Penn State would fit well in the ACC. But I don't see them making the change because there really isn't anything to drive the change. They would need to have a financial need, or be afraid of missing out on something. Perhaps if they get left out of the playoffs because the Big Ten schedule is deemed so weak by the committee or something. With the demographic shift of high school football talent into the southern part of the ACC, perhaps that could happen. James Franklin is holding a joint football camp in Atlanta with Georgia State to get access to Georgia kids this summer. A better solution would be for him to take his football team out of the league in the midwest and join one where he can actually play football games in front of the same Georgia kids and their parents every other year. That's my opinion.

Not unless and until the cable box revenue paradigm implodes. Then maybe.

That all depends on how many rutgers fans keep their televisions on during those 42-7 losses.

The B1G is exposed on both flanks. As this unnatural geographic conglomerate proves to be incohesive , quite possibly Nebraska goes back to the 12 and Terps come home to the ACC , where they belong.

CousCuse said:
The B1G is exposed on both flanks. As this unnatural geographic conglomerate proves to be incohesive , quite possibly Nebraska goes back to the 12 and Terps come home to the ACC , where they belong.

Oh no now that that messy Maryland devorce has happened the ACC would only be satisfied to start dating the hotter next door neighbor Penn State. Really the ACC was unburdened of Maryland when it was at its lowest point.

The ACC cannot be stopped from encroaching on 'PSU's territory.' Once we had Pitt and Syracuse, we had encroached, forever. The BT watering down its football product by adding RU and UMD cannot undo the ACC's encroaching into PSU's back yard.

Heh, so who's backyard is encroached upon by ND plus Louisville? Given the opportunity, Cincy could be the top bill in the state in a decade or so.

The southern ACC turf battle is in detente. The northern one, not so much.

The B12 is the Austria-Hungary of this Diplomacy game. If a P5 conference dies, it has to be them.

The B12 is the Austria-Hungary of this Diplomacy game. If a P5 conference dies, it has to be them.
If this was a game of RISK , my next move would be Temple. Philly media controls Eastern Pa , South Jersey and down into Maryland and Deleware. It would Balkanize the Eastern B1G.

CousCuse said:
If this was a game of RISK , my next move would be Temple. Philly media controls Eastern Pa , South Jersey and down into Maryland and Deleware. It would Balkanize the Eastern B1G.

I agree and would take either Temple or UConn. I think we need 1 more northeastern school for more balance in the league and to secure the northeastern corridor.

Too timid. Strangle OSU with ND, Louisville, Cincy, and Pitt. The Eastern B1G would die on the vine.

James Franklin is holding a joint football camp in Atlanta with Georgia State to get access to Georgia kids this summer. A better solution would be for him to take his football team out of the league in the midwest and join one where he can actually play football games in front of the same Georgia kids and their parents every other year. That's my opinion.

I didn't think schools could hold out of state camps anymore? Didn't the NCAA ban that?

I didn't think schools could hold out of state camps anymore? Didn't the NCAA ban that?

I'm not sure. It's technically Georgia State's camp. But James Franklin and his entire Penn State staff will be there as guests. I would like for it to be as I'm no fan of James Franklin. When he was in charge of recruiting at Maryland, some of the negative stuff he would put into kids' heads about UVA and our coaches was appalling. It turned off many recruits who actually did come to UVA, but he convinced a good number. We didn't recruit that way to my knowledge.

Last edited:

People on the UConn board scoff at the idea, but when the Big 10 decided to place their own sanctions on Penn State, there was a window of opportunity to poach them. Not sure that's the case anymore, but they are the only team who improves the ACC football profile, and might be good bait for drawing ND into a football conference.

I'm not sure. It's technically Georgia State's camp.

Gotchya. That makes sense then. Do you think D1 prospects are going to pay to go to a Georgia State camp over camps at GT and UGA? I wonder what their pitch is.

About Nebraska, see this

Many Nebraska football people are less than pleased, but they can do nothing about it. Their only hope, now that they have angered Texas forever, is that the Pac wants to go to 16 without UT, as along as it gets Nebraska, KU, and OU.

I'm not sure. It's technically Georgia State's camp. But James Franklin and his entire Penn State staff will be there as guests. I would like for it to be as I'm no fan of James Franklin. When he was in charge of recruiting at Maryland, some of the negative stuff he would put into kids' heads about UVA and our coaches was appalling. It turned off many recruits who actually did come to UVA, but he convinced a good number. We didn't recruit that way to my knowledge.
Franklin is a snake oil salesman of the worst sort. He is a charming con man who will tell anything that works to get what he wants, and he should be watched like a hawk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom