Babers/Dome attendance | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Babers/Dome attendance

We need to convince Jeremycuse's brother it is time to get a pair of season tickets.

As FloridaFan stated...go after the Utica market. SU realizes the best success at gaining future STH'ers come from a 90 mile ring around Syracuse. I bet they push more advertising into Utica, Watertown, Binghamton and out towards Rochester.

More advertising is coming, especially for the Rochester area.

Remember this from 1979??

Dv7IIqOXcAAvR36.jpg

Remember this from 1979??

Dv7IIqOXcAAvR36.jpg
I was at there...no atmosphere at all and about 8-10k. They should have played at Holleder Stadium in Rochester for both games...better yet at Cornell (if available). The stadium had a 20,000 capacity in Rochester. Safe to say it would have been filled.

hms.jpg

I think you mean a 180. 360 gets us back to where we started from. ;-)
Brings up a good war story from a bud in Desert Storm. He was leading a B-52 on a bomb drop as the lead Bombardier. The flak was pretty steady but not real effective but still unnerving to say the least. After pickle (bomb drop over the target) he told the pilot to "let's do a 360 and get the hell out here". He earned a new nickname that day.

Here are the largest crowds in the dome.

1. 50,564 Miami (Ohio) 1980
2. 50,350 Navy 1980
3. 50,243 Pittsburgh 1980
4. 50,037 Penn State 1981
5. 50,021 Penn State 1985
6. 50,011 Penn State 1987
7. 50,010 Penn State 1983
8. 49,892 Boston College 1987
9. 49,876 Penn State 1989
10. 49,866 West Virginia 1987

Here are the largest crowds in the dome.

1. 50,564 Miami (Ohio) 1980
2. 50,350 Navy 1980
3. 50,243 Pittsburgh 1980
4. 50,037 Penn State 1981
5. 50,021 Penn State 1985
6. 50,011 Penn State 1987
7. 50,010 Penn State 1983
8. 49,892 Boston College 1987
9. 49,876 Penn State 1989
10. 49,866 West Virginia 1987

Dome dog sales were good 1987! Record high number of Hoffmans out the door!

Official Dome seating capacity has been adjusted a few times for ADA compliance among other things. It was highest for the 1980 season.

Official Dome seating capacity has been adjusted a few times for ADA compliance among other things. It was highest for the 1980 season.

50,000 1980 - 1997
49,550 1998 - 2002
49,262 2003 - present

50,000 1980 - 1997
49,550 1998 - 2002
49,262 2003 - present
Wasn't it slightly above 50K but they added more wheel chair accessible areas soon after opening?

Are you able to elaborate? I’ve been drumming the we need more fans from Rochester drum pretty hard.

Wasn't it slightly above 50K but they added more wheel chair accessible areas soon after opening?

Could be. I think the official seating capacity was 50000 but that didn’t account for standing room which they did allow. I really can’t remember when they did the wheel chair seating.

Over the last three years I've noticed an increase in the seats for all Syracuse home games. Next year I can see sell out crowds(49K plus) for the Clemson,Pittsburgh and Boston College Games.

Since the dome has been built(1980)it's been sold out just once when they played the University of OHIO.
I really don't care too much about "sell outs" but would like to back to this type of average:
1546465250174.png

It's false.

Tennessee 1998 has a listed attendance of 49,550, which was capacity at the time. The game against Miami that same year is listed as 49,521 -- I'm gonna call 28 seats under capacity a sellout. Michigan in 1999 is listed as 49,249, which was the new listed capacity for that season (I recall we removed some seats for wheelchair access). So... sellout. I mean that's 3 games alone.

There are a number of games in the 90s where attendance is listed within 100 or so seats of capacity. Those are sellouts.

It's not false. The carrier dome has never had a true SELL OUT

They have had every seat filled before. They have exceeded capacity before.

They have never sold every single ticket.

Is that a big difference? Probably not, but that is the difference

20 years is a long time for my memory to fail (and I can't believe it's been 20 years), but I clearly recall the little Gate E ticket shack offering walk-ups for both Tennessee in 1998 and Michigan the next year. Now I guess they technically could've sold out after we walked by and got into the building, but I'm going with your explanation. (Plus I'm thinking you've got some inside info.)

Is that because of SRO that they used to sell?

This feels like a distinction without a difference. We all know that every venue always has seats available no matter what the box office or Ticketmaster says.

With that in mind there has never been a sell out for any venue ever.

Is that because of SRO that they used to sell?

Honestly not exactly sure but from my understanding they always gave some tickets (lord knows what "some" really means) to local organizations (boys and girls club, charities, vets, etc). They used to do that kind of stuff well before the games so chances are they probably could have "sold" all the tickets they gave away anyways - but I think the goal was to always have a good reputation with the community.

It's much different when you're established and winning (87-01) when giving away say 500-1000 tickets is a community move, whereas in 2005-2008 giving away 1000 tix wasn't actually easy to do lol

This feels like a distinction without a difference. We all know that every venue always has seats available no matter what the box office or Ticketmaster says.

With that in mind there has never been a sell out for any venue ever.

See my post above. I am sure a lot of sell outs at thousands of venues aren't actually legit but it's so hard to speak to what they do with giving away tickets, holding back tickets, etc. I just wanted to outline that when you hear people say we've never had a true sell out or haven't had one in X number of years - this is what is being referenced. But when you see 50K attended a game it's safe to say there are at least 48K in the seats

See my post below. I am sure a lot of sell outs at thousands of venues aren't actually legit but it's so hard to speak to what they do with giving away tickets, holding back tickets, etc. I just wanted to outline that when you hear people say we've never had a true sell out or haven't had one in X number of years - this is what is being referenced. But when you see 50K attended a game it's safe to say there are at least 48K in the seats

Gotcha.

If the "sell out" classification has a strict meaning that every single person in the venue had to have purchased their ticket and no more could possibly have been sold then I don't think it's a particularly useful term.

My impression has been that when people have said there's never been a sell out in the Dome the intent is to illustrate a lack of fan support. But if there are dozens of games that have drawn 49K+ and we're just debating the definition of "sell out" the overall point is pretty different. IMHO.

Gotcha.

If the "sell out" classification has a strict meaning that every single person in the venue had to have purchased their ticket and no more could possibly have been sold then I don't think it's a particularly useful term.

My impression has been that when people have said there's never been a sell out in the Dome the intent is to illustrate a lack of fan support. But if there are dozens of games that have drawn 49K+ and we're just debating the definition of "sell out" the overall point is pretty different. IMHO.

Yeah for sure. It's a silly-splitting hairs argument anyways. I'd love to welcome that argument if there's ~49K in the building next year haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom