Back in the day | Syracusefan.com

Back in the day

hplare

Skilled observer of photographs
With the interest in the crane and anticipation of the new dome, I thought some might be interested in what our old athletic facilities were like and their various usages.

I think I'm probably the only lurker/occasional poster who ever witnessed a basketball game in the original Archbold gym. As a young city kid at the time, my memory of it is as a rather typical gym of that era. Rather gloomy, with high school type bleachers that probably folded out, and a running track circling above. It wasn't unusual to hear people running overhead during the pregame. I can't remember how many games I saw, but one with Oswego State Teachers stands out. The now legendary Billy Gabor and future Syracuse National, had returned from the war and poured in 36 points as SU romped to a 106 - 26 win, marking Syracuse's first 100 + game. The schedule was rather small time back then. Cortland, Union, St Lawrence, Colgate, Rochester, etc. Even so, the team went 23 and 3 before losing to Muhlenberg in the first round of the NIT.

An interesting note about the running track, It circled completely around the gym, but didn't interfere with the game below. This wasn't always the norm and if you've ever seen the upstairs gym at the Montgomery St YMCA, you'll have noted how the running track crosses over all four corners of the court. You can't shoot from the corners without hitting the overhang. It's perfect for zone and JB would love it. Ah, if only the Super Dome vs Indiana...

I'm sure the old gym was used for other purposes. Gym was a requirement for students back then and I have a dim memory of seeing Indian clubs in racks along walls. The rowing tank was on the lowest floor and the late Marty Glickman once told me that he, Duffy Daugherty and Sidat-Singh all lived together in rooms down there

The old gym burned down in 1947, but the rowing tank survived. If you Google SU rowing tank you'll see pictures of both then and now. It's modernized, but the windows still match.

The new gym was partial rebuilt over the old in 1948 and had offices for the athletic department, but the rest of it wasn't completed until 1950.

In the interim games were played at the State Fair Coliseum. One notable game was against Penn State, who ironically played all zone. SU jumped out to something like a twelve to four lead and then stalled and held the ball, for almost the rest of the half. With no shot clock and a taunting crowd Penn State finally had no choice but to come out of it and play. I believe it's the game we finally won 49-47.

In 1950 games returned to the new gym, but everyone on campus was clamoring for a field house. The slogan going up on posters everywhere, was, "Get it Done in '51"

Well we know how that turned out.

But in the mean time there's a lot to tell about the new gym and if any are interested I'll continue.

With the interest in the crane and anticipation of the new dome, I thought some might be interested in what our old athletic facilities were like and their various usages.

I think I'm probably the only lurker/occasional poster who ever witnessed a basketball game in the original Archbold gym. As a young city kid at the time, my memory of it is as a rather typical gym of that era. Rather gloomy, with high school type bleachers that probably folded out, and a running track circling above. It wasn't unusual to hear people running overhead during the pregame. I can't remember how many games I saw, but one with Oswego State Teachers stands out. The now legendary Billy Gabor and future Syracuse National, had returned from the war and poured in 36 points as SU romped to a 106 - 26 win, marking Syracuse's first 100 + game. The schedule was rather small time back then. Cortland, Union, St Lawrence, Colgate, Rochester, etc. Even so, the team went 23 and 3 before losing to Muhlenberg in the first round of the NIT.

An interesting note about the running track, It circled completely around the gym, but didn't interfere with the game below. This wasn't always the norm and if you've ever seen the upstairs gym at the Montgomery St YMCA, you'll have noted how the running track crosses over all four corners of the court. You can't shoot from the corners without hitting the overhang. It's perfect for zone and JB would love it. Ah, if only the Super Dome vs Indiana...

I'm sure the old gym was used for other purposes. Gym was a requirement for students back then and I have a dim memory of seeing Indian clubs in racks along walls. The rowing tank was on the lowest floor and the late Marty Glickman once told me that he, Duffy Daugherty and Sidat-Singh all lived together in rooms down there

The old gym burned down in 1947, but the rowing tank survived. If you Google SU rowing tank you'll see pictures of both then and now. It's modernized, but the windows still match.

The new gym was partial rebuilt over the old in 1948 and had offices for the athletic department, but the rest of it wasn't completed until 1950.

In the interim games were played at the State Fair Coliseum. One notable game was against Penn State, who ironically played all zone. SU jumped out to something like a twelve to four lead and then stalled and held the ball, for almost the rest of the half. With no shot clock and a taunting crowd Penn State finally had no choice but to come out of it and play. I believe it's the game we finally won 49-47.

In 1950 games returned to the new gym, but everyone on campus was clamoring for a field house. The slogan going up on posters everywhere, was, "Get it Done in '51"

But in the mean time there's a lot to tell about the new gym and if any are interested I'll continue.
Interesting story! I know I am interested in more

Interesting look back. Thanks for the perspective hplare.

None of us have much to do right now and I couldn't think of many better things to discuss than SU sports history to help us pass the time. Personally, I find it fascinating. My Grandfather played with Duffy, Marty, and Sidat at Syracuse.

Great stuff, hplare, thanks.

When I arrived at Syracuse in 1959, the new "old gym" was still the home of men's athletics (the Women's Buiding had just opened) .. and it was also used for class registration at the beginning of each semester. Nothing was done by computers. Students had to walk between tables to sign up for classes. Only, much of the time they ran rather than walked in an effort to get into the best sections of multi-section classes. The basketball team played its home games at the War Memorial.

Manley opened in September 1962 -- and its first use was for class registration. The basketball court had not yet been laid ... so students had to rush around on a dirt floor to register for their classes. The resulting dust was almost suffocating.

The first basketball game at Manley was played on December 1, 1962, against Kent State, which we won 36-35, the first of only 7 wins that year. (But our 7-12 record was much better than the previous year when we set the then-alltime collegiate record for consecutive losses).

The varsity game was preceded by a freshman game (freshmen were not allowed to play varsity sports then). Making their debut in the freshman game were two guys named Dave Bing and Jim Boeheim -- and the team was clearly special. Throughout the rest of the season, students would come to the freshman game and frequently not stay for the varsity game.

Last edited:

That was awesome, you've got a great memory for some cool details. I'll read more if you've got 'em!

When I arrived at Syracuse in 1959, the new "old gym" was still the home of men's athletics (the Women's Buiding had just opened) .. and it was also used for class registration at the beginning of each semester. Nothing was done by computers. Students had to walk between tables to sign up for classes. Only, much of the time they ran rather than walked in an effort to get into the best sections of multi-section classes. The basketball team played its home games at the War Memorial.

Manley opened in September 1962 -- and its first use was, of course, for class registration. The basketball court had not yet been laid ... so students had to rush around on a dirt floor to register for their classes. The resulting dust was almost suffocating.

The first basketball game at Manley was played on December 1, 1962, against Kent State, which we won 36-35, the first of only 7 wins that year. (But our 7-12 record was much better than the previous year when we set the then-alltime collegiate record for consecutive losses).

The varsity game was preceded by a freshman game (freshmen were not allowed to play varsity sports then). Making their debut in the freshman game were two guys named Dave Bing and Jim Boeheim -- and the team was clearly special. Throughout the rest of the season, students would come to the freshman game and frequently not stay for the varsity game.
I am old enough to remember when registration was in Archbold Gym. It was a zoo and a rite of passage kind of thing for new students. If you could survive waiting in line to register for choice 1, then choice 2, choice 3, etc, over and over, until you had your schedule filled out, you could do anything.

This is what it looked like. All you SU students who matriculated after this, consider yourselves blessed.

357D1A8A-0469-4FC7-BCE8-967C23E00085.jpeg

Here is what Archbold Gym looked like in 1910, 2 years after it opened. Note how open to light it was, and the beautiful steelwork in the arched glass ceiling. That was all lost in the botched rebuild after the fire. What a shame.

90A471BC-2DA8-4B41-BA59-0867CC4781B2.jpeg

It cost $400,000 to build, which at the time was an astronomical cost for a college gym.

Cameron Indoor Stadium for instance, was built in 1937 and only cost $450,000.

This is what it looked like from the outside. It was a wonderful building.

84D48037-0EE6-4B36-9F65-0A127A508A5A.png

My son was registering for classes yesterday and I reminded him how when I signed up you waited in line in front of Steele Hall and once you got in, all the elective classes you picked were long gone and you lived with it. Hershey bars were also a nickel, and if you got sick, you were F’ed

I am old enough to remember when registration was in Archbold Gym. It was a zoo and a rite of passage kind of thing for new students. If you could survive waiting in line to register for choice 1, then choice 2, choice 3, etc, over and over, until you had your schedule filled out, you could do anything.

This is what it looked like. All you SU students who matriculated after this, consider yourselves blessed.

View attachment 179514

My wife is an academic advisor and she got a good chuckle out of that photo and story. (She's had a busy couple of days during this registration week under unusual circumstances.)

Manley opened in September 1962 -- and its first use was for class registration. The basketball court had not yet been laid ... so students had to rush around on a dirt floor to register for their classes. The resulting dust was almost suffocating.

Ah the chocking dust of Manley. Brings back great memories. Basketball was played in Manley during my years at SU in the 70's. I was there for the 57 game home winning streak. Great times. We all believed if we made enough noise we couldn't lose to anyone. That Manley dirt was the smell of victory.

A couple more pictures from the original Archbold Gym. It was awesome. I think the only problem with it is that it was built too soon, well before schools were drawing major crowds to basketball games. There was little room put aside for stands (and from what I have read, the crowds really weren’t good either, despite some outstanding teams that won 2 national championships while playing in that facility.

1D8F3B1B-C4FC-46A0-A096-9B0A5ADD7276.png

And a similar angle, but this time dressed up, perhaps for a convention?

A362DA08-0CFB-4594-ADEA-DE0B48D614B1.png

A couple more pictures from the original Archbold Gym. It was awesome. I think the only problem with it is that it was built too soon, well before schools were drawing major crowds to basketball games. There was little room put aside for stands (and from what I have read, the crowds really weren’t good either, despite some outstanding teams that won 2 national championships while playing in that facility.

View attachment 179517

And a similar angle, but this time dressed up, perhaps for a convention?

View attachment 179518
So to watch the game you would stand on the running track above and look down? I like it. Great looking gym.

Here is what Archbold Gym looked like in 1910, 2 years after it opened. Note how open to light it was, and the beautiful steelwork in the arched glass ceiling. That was all lost in the botched rebuild after the fire. What a shame.

View attachment 179515

It cost $400,000 to build, which at the time was an astronomical cost for a college gym.

Cameron Indoor Stadium for instance, was built in 1937 and only cost $450,000.

This is what it looked like from the outside. It was a wonderful building.

View attachment 179516
Whoever invented pommel horses should be shot.

So to watch the game you would stand on the running track above and look down? I like it. Great looking gym.
There are few, if any good photos of what Archbold looked like during a basketball game. But I believe Bill is right. There were wooden bleachers on the side of the gym that could be folded against its outer walls to maximize available floor space. Much like a HS gym. I doubt it held more than 2000 or 3000 people.

I believe the running track above the gym survived into the late 1970s. I remember it. At least I think I do. Back then, I think Andy Mogish was a strong presence around the gym and I believe I saw him running up top many times.

There are few, if any good photos of what Archbold looked like during a basketball game. But I believe Bill is right. There were wooden bleachers on the side of the gym that could be folded against its outer walls to maximize available floor space. Much like a HS gym. I doubt it held more than 2000 or 3000 people.

I believe the running track above the gym survived into the late 1970s. I remember it. At least I think I do. Back then, I think Andy Mogish was a strong presence around the gym and I believe I saw him running up top many times.

I was at SU from 1975-79 and the upper running track was already gone. I remember registrations. My first week on campus was a nightmare trying to register. After my first semester, you tried to pre-register as much as possible.

I also registered at Archbold Gym. One of the first impressions I remember was that the crew team had suspended an oar horizontally just inside the door. It was probably a little more than 6 feet above the floor. If you had to duck to pass under it, they were there to try to recruit you. (I made it in easily).

My senior year (1984-85) they moved registration to Steele hall and made it electronic.

I hated waiting in line for hours just to get stuck with an 8:30 AM psych class.

A couple more pictures from the original Archbold Gym. It was awesome. I think the only problem with it is that it was built too soon, well before schools were drawing major crowds to basketball games. ...

I also think the campus plan at that time called for construction of a big (~10,000 seat) assembly hall as part of the chapel development, where the Eggers parking lot is today. But then they only built the chapel and Archbold remained the home of the basketball team.

I also think the campus plan at that time called for construction of a big (~10,000 seat) assembly hall as part of the chapel development, where the Eggers parking lot is today. But then they only built the chapel and Archbold remained the home of the basketball team.
Here is a drawing on what the Pope Baum Plan, which was developed in 1928, called for. It features the assembly hall you are referencing. The links I have seen set the capacity at 6000. Interesting to read about.

I don’t think it works. I normally like buildings of this style, but I think this looks awkward at this location, dominates the campus, doesn’t look like it belongs and the northern entrance to the campus in front of it just doesn’t work for me.

F3CA5D0C-BB89-47C1-A1C6-0719C88978A2.png
\
Aerial perspective rendering of Pope and Baum's campus plan, showing the proposed auditorium building attached to Hendricks Chapel, and introducing the idea of a new axis extending northward across the Lawn into the residential portion of University Hill.

It's 11:06 am and the Oswego State Teachers team still sucks.

(Great post, please post more)

View attachment 179514

There were inevitably at least a few students, usually frosh, sitting cross-legged on the floor and weeping as they tried to construct a Plan B, or C or D, after getting shut out of their choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom