Basketball Only Schools | Syracusefan.com

Basketball Only Schools

44USMC

So what if the ACC did take basketball only schools. I know many pundits will say never, but what if?

I think the ACC would do well to take St John's, G' Town, and Villanova. I think the latter definitely can hang academically, and this would increase the basketball revenue base. They could join, but maybe with no say in real conference direction. Your thoughts?

I bet Nova and Gtown would jump on that right now. It's that or A-10 for them

So what if the ACC did take basketball only schools. I know many pundits will say never, but what if?

IMHO, Not gonna happen. The major long-term problem with the BE has been the hodge-podge of hoops only and hoops/FB schools. Everyone knew that this arrangement would have to either end or change at some point. The ACC won't be getting itself entangled with that kind of messy web.....not when it can get successful schools having full major sports offerings. Who knows, maybe SU will end up with baseball again at some point in the future (I kid ;)).

Yeah, just a thought. If only those teams had no voice but received basketball financial benefits. The ACC would rule the basketball landscape unlike anything - even the Big East.

I would think the only hoops-onlies they would take would be ND and/or TX (if they went indy in FB). And even then, I don't think they'd do it.

I would think the only hoops-onlies they would take would be ND and/or TX (if they went indy in FB). And even then, I don't think they'd do it.

Right, they wouldn't. FB is where the real money is, especially when you're talking about schools like ND and TX. I forgot what we make on hoops vs. FB, but we may be one of the few exceptions to that rule.

I don't understand how it would make any good sense for the ACC to entertain such an idea. Having basketball only schools just makes things messy and one of the things about the BE that I've never liked, even though I have enjoyed playing Vill and Gtown in BB.

No need to enter into that mess unless it's absolutely necessary. Now we see UConn trying like hell to get into the league; there will be some good two sport programs knocking on the ACC's door for these last two spots which will inevitably open up.

I think it's more interesting to speculate on what a hoops only conference will look like several years down the road, another inevitability after the ripples of these forthcoming shakeups take effect. It would be based around Nova, Georgetown, Marquette, and I'll bet Xavier could be part of that. Notre Dame could be if they chose to remain independent (I think they will be in the Big 10 within the next decade or less). The other remaining Big East hoops teams are St. John's (the next likely member) along with Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul. I'm sure the leftover Big East teams will stay together, though I do wonder how much the other members would want to keep DePaul in the mix. I'm just guessing that they'd want to make it a ten team league; there'd be room for a few more teams, with the A-10 being a prime target for candidates. Perhaps they even consider something like adding Butler (hell Marquette is already from that region of the country, as is ND).

No need to enter into that mess unless it's absolutely necessary. Now we see UConn trying like hell to get into the league; there will be some good two sport programs knocking on the ACC's door for these last two spots which will inevitably open up.

I think it's more interesting to speculate on what a hoops only conference will look like several years down the road, another inevitability after the ripples of these forthcoming shakeups take effect. It would be based around Nova, Georgetown, Marquette, and I'll bet Xavier could be part of that. Notre Dame could be if they chose to remain independent (I think they will be in the Big 10 within the next decade or less). The other remaining Big East hoops teams are St. John's (the next likely member) along with Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul. I'm sure the leftover Big East teams will stay together, though I do wonder how much the other members would want to keep DePaul in the mix. I'm just guessing that they'd want to make it a ten team league; there'd be room for a few more teams, with the A-10 being a prime target for candidates. Perhaps they even consider something like adding Butler (hell Marquette is already from that region of the country, as is ND).
It's possible that the BE hoops-only teams would combine with the A-10 squads, and then split into 2 divisions (leagues?) along geographic lines.

Nova is likely to go D-1 in football and could find a nice niche in the possible 5th superconference.

G'town and ND as bball onlies in the ACC is a real interesting thought.

Nova is likely to go D-1 in football and could find a nice niche in the possible 5th superconference.

G'town and ND as bball onlies in the ACC is a real interesting thought.
What "possible 5th superconference'' are you talking about? There's not going to be 5. It would be 4x16, there's no other option.

You really think a 1-AA team will upgrade and find a home at the Big Boys table? Really?

I disagree. The basketball-only schools are not compelled to play by the super-conference rules of 12-16 schools. And there is no need for them to jump ship to an A-10. They are stronger than that already.

You could create a very viable basketball conference with the eight current schools (including ND, for now) and adding, say Xavier and Butler. This league would have a lot of clout at the negotiating table. Dayton or another Philly school like St. Joe's may also make sense.

Gtown
Nova
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Marquette
DePaul
ND
Xavier
Butler

There is absolutely no way the ACC becomes BE v2.0 by inviting basketball only schools. No way.

What "possible 5th superconference'' are you talking about? There's not going to be 5. It would be 4x16, there's no other option.

This is about money, and maximizing revenue per member, not reaching a "magic number". If 16 was the holy grail, every conference would be panicking to get there, but I just don't get the sense that the Big-10 or SEC are in a hurry, or are going to be strong-armed to move to 16. They may expand to 14 (or even 16), but 16 is not a number that's set in stone, and those two leagues carry the most weight.

This is about money, and maximizing revenue per member, not reaching a "magic number". If 16 was the holy grail, every conference would be panicking to get there, but I just don't get the sense that the Big-10 or SEC are in a hurry, or are going to be strong-armed to move to 16. They may expand to 14 (or even 16), but 16 is not a number that's set in stone, and those two leagues carry the most weight.
If the TX/OK 4 go Pac-10-16, as seems to be nearly a fait accompli, there are not that many good candidates left for the SEC and/or Big 10. WVa, Missouri and. . .Louisville?
Kansas? It's possible that neither league will see much value added in the prospective candidates.

Of course, ND is still out there, and if UConn is able to break away from the BE, the Fightin' Whatevers might have to finally get off the pot as the BE implodes. Bilas, who may have some connections, says that ND to the ACC may be a real option.

Basketball onlies need to take a hike. Find your own conference and be done with it. We don't need another cluster f like the Big East. Just make the ACC look stupid.

My take on UCONN...no thanks. Outside of basketball they bring nothing to the table. The basketball side has been strengthened with SU and Pitt. If they expand again it needs to focus on the football side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom